R.N.A.S Lossiemouth in the sixties

MADMUSKY

Thanks for that.  Superb memories evoked by that.

A time when we had a serious Fleet Air Arm and a real Air Force.  Fulmar then had, what, sixty or seventy aircraft at peak, many doing several launches per day.   Now (in normal times) Lossie is lucky if there are a dozen movements on a typical day, and it is one of the few stations left active.  Sigh!

John B

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Thanks for that.  Superb memories evoked by that.

A time when we had a serious Fleet Air Arm and a real Air Force.  Fulmar then had, what, sixty or seventy aircraft at peak, many doing several launches per day.   Now (in normal times) Lossie is lucky if there are a dozen movements on a typical day, and it is one of the few stations left active.  Sigh!

John B

Everything John B (Sc) said but doubled

double sigh 😔 

Happy days indeed

Based Sea Prince T.1s, Sea Devon, Hunter GA.11s and T.8s, Sea Venom FAW.22s, Sea Vampire T.22s, Buccaneers S.1s & S.2s, Gannet AEW.3s, COD.4, & T.5s, disembarked Scimitars and Buccaneer S.2s from Ark Royal and Eagle, and what about that pair of Meteor TT.20s!

As if that wasn't enough, visiting Institute of Aviation Medicine Hunter T.7 (XL563 with nose probe), RAF 16 Sqn Canberra B(I).8 and 213 Sqn Canberra B(I).6, Belgian Starfighters, and Dutch Trackers & S-58s are also seen.

Such a rare treat to see as over the fence spotting footage is very rare from that era, especially in colour and in such clarity. Shame sound wasn't a straight forward part of amateur filming then.

Thank you posting👍

Edit, I see the same person has posted some wonderful films of Lossiemouth and Leuchars airshows, well following the links through YouTube.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Based Sea Prince T.1s, Sea Devon, Hunter GA.11s and T.8s, Sea Venom FAW.22s, Sea Vampire T.22s, Buccaneers S.1s & S.2s, Gannet AEW.3s, COD.4, & T.5s, disembarked Scimitars and Buccaneer S.2s from Ark Royal and Eagle, and what about that pair of Meteor TT.20s!

As if that wasn't enough, visiting Institute of Aviation Medicine Hunter T.7 (XL563 with nose probe), RAF 16 Sqn Canberra B(I).8 and 213 Sqn Canberra B(I).6, Belgian Starfighters, and Dutch Trackers & S-58s are also seen.

Such a rare treat to see as over the fence spotting footage is very rare from that era, especially in colour and in such clarity. Shame sound wasn't a straight forward part of amateur filming then.

Thank you posting👍

Edit, I see the same person has posted some wonderful films of Lossiemouth and Leuchars airshows, well following the links through YouTube.

Yeah good to see, typical Leuchars Airshow day....Wet Wet Wet

Great to see the 228 OCU NMF Javelin on film only ever seen pictures of it, particularly like the Leuchars Lightnings but only a short film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, styreno said:

There's a Hunter T.8 (?) in silver and day-glo XL 563. It seems to have a large nose probe - pitot? instrumentation? 

Any idea what's the purpose of that configuration?

TIA

See post #11

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

I see the same person has posted some wonderful films of Lossiemouth and Leuchars airshows, well following the links through YouTube.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I'd have missed out on them otherwise.

David

I've seen this film on other forums but still never tire of seeing it.

I was 12 when the film opens and spent nearly all of my free time on the pillbox at the 23 end so remember the many visitors.

The Trackers and Seabats were detatched from the Karel Doorman. 

Note the 'Hurricane Hunter's' WC-121N in the shot with the Trackers coming down from the 05 end

The Hunter GA11 with the prsctice bomb carriers on the belly was not seen very often

My cousin was the nav on the B(i)8 Canberra and nightstopped from Germany.

The noise from the Belgian F-104s was wonderful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cannot think of an operation British aircraft which didn't visit Lossie.

Equally so I think the Austrians and Swiss were the only countries with an air arm this side of the curtain which didn't visit.

Rarest visitor in my opinion was a Mirage IVA which diverted in with an engine failure. That generated loads of French stuff for a few weeks.

The shame is that none of us 'spotters' could afford a camera back then.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

The Trackers and Seabats were detatched from the Karel Doorman in April 1967.

...I hadn't realised until I re-watched this that there is also a second pair of Trackers visiting from Valkenberg, near the end.

Glorious stuff, and must have been great to witness these sights and sounds, I bet that film takes you right back.

• Like 1

Amazing footage! I wish I'd been around then! What a wonderful collection of aircraft we once had, it must have been incredible to be a spotter in those days. It was good in the 80s but looks like the 60s were even better. 

I think for me the Meteor TTs and that Canberra B(I)8 steal the show.

Fantastic film, I would have been about 12 when it was shot and just getting into aircraft and modelling. Ace soundtrack, not a dud in it.