Wingnut Wings Fokker DVII early

Dear all -

Like all of us, whizzing through the builds due to the virus lock down!

My latest build being WNW's re-released Fokker DVII early kit.    I built this before when this kit was first released some years ago being one I was (at the time) eagerly awaiting.   On the the first build, I ran into quite a few fit issues so it took a bit work to get it together.    I therefore hesitated slightly before buying this issue based on my experiences with it before but wanted to try it again to see if I could get to grips with it easier second time around.

I'm glad I did and having the benefit of some experience with it the first time round definitely helped second time around.   For a more straightforward WW1 aircraft kit, this is a more demanding kit but I got to grips with it okay this time.   It seems to me it is critical to ensure the cockpit structure is assembled exactly right otherwise getting it into the fuselage halves causes problems leaving a large gap  ................   Needless to say, I was as careful as I could with this part of the build assembling as much of this cockpit before painting.   Even so, I still needed to sand down rear of cockpit structure slightly to get a perfect fit.   I also noticed WNW have amended their instructions slightly concerning the assembly of the engine cowling panels so had no trouble here.   The rest of the build proceeded pretty smoothly after that.

Decals are okay but did not appear to be up to the usual high standard from Wingnuts being quite hard and brittle especially on the cross markings resulting in some splitting here - lozenge decals seemed to work better.

On the whole, an enjoyable build the second time around of a very attractive aircraft.

Anyway, model built completely OOB and entirely brush painted.   I decided to go with the colour scheme of Rudolf Berthold with the fuselage winged sword emblem as I thought this a very colourful marking option.

B272dhM.jpg

5JNuELX.jpg

AmiA4xZ.jpg

KyFI8F7.jpg

9AZA3V3.jpg

iOfykze.jpg

fE7F0M9.jpg

I hope you like

Regards

Dave

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant finish. The streaking on the fuselage is excellent as is the overall finish of the colours. Just shows what can be done with a hairy stick! Berthold's markings are indeed striking - first tiem I have seen them at this scale - they are on the old Revell kit in the True Scale of course.

Really good to see you posting again Dave: looking forward to seeing more of your models in future.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

Brilliant finish. The streaking on the fuselage is excellent as is the overall finish of the colours. Just shows what can be done with a hairy stick! Berthold's markings are indeed striking - first tiem I have seen them at this scale - they are on the old Revell kit in the True Scale of course.

Really good to see you posting again Dave: looking forward to seeing more of your models in future.

P

Hello, Pheonix 

Thank you!   Unfortunately, I cannot claim to have painted the Fokker 'Strie' streaking - this is a kit supplied decal that you apply over a linen colour undercoat and gives a really pleasing affect once applied.

Regards

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

A beautiful looking rendition of a beautiful looking aircraft. Surely the Fokker D.VII has to be the best looking fighter of WW1, well I think it is at any rate.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 8:35 PM, pheonix said:

P

Revell instructions don’t feature the streaky section, though I’d assume WNW left nothing behind in terms of their research.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...