1/32 Tamiya Vought F4U-1A Corsair

Whistling Death. It just sounds badass, doesn’t it? The Corsair, as the F4U built by Vought, or its identical twin the FG-1 (made by Goodyear), is one of the most iconic fighters of World War II. It could out-climb, out-run, and out-fight any propeller-driven aircraft it faced on the opposing side. Known for its distinctive design and huge propeller, the aircraft was also known for the peculiar sound it made at a higher airspeed.

In order to keep the Corsair as aerodynamically clean as possible, designers made sure there was nothing protruding into the surrounding air to produce additional drag. In addition to the innovative “bent-wing” design, the intake for the aircraft’s turbo-supercharger, intercooler, and oil cooler were located in slots in the inboard leading edges of the wings. Air running through those slots at high speeds gave the aircraft a very distinctive sound, and the Japanese tagged the fighter with the moniker, “Whistling Death.”

The facts and figures surrounding the Corsair’s service at war’s end were staggering. Corsairs flew more than 64,000 sorties between the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps. They accounted for over 2,100 victories in air combat with only 189 losses, producing an overall kill ratio of more than 11:1. It did especially well against the Mitsubishi A6M Zero, with a kill ratio of 12:1 versus that type. The Corsair also dropped 15,621 tons of bombs during the war, a figure approximate to 70% of the total number of bombs dropped by U.S. fighters during the entire war, regardless of theater.

This is an OTB build and to be honest you don't need any after market bits on this, apart from the decals I used, this build I used mission model paints, and I found them rather good.
this build is a dream as the fit is perfect in every way ENJOY.
Mike

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 47
  • Thanks 4

I love Corsairs and I love that Corsair. You did an amazing job.

It's almost perfect. Almost. 

A little tip, the back of the propeller suffers much more weathering than the front. You could legitimately weather the back of the prop to bare metal near the tip. If you weather the front of a prop make it twice as bad as the front. I've seen pictures of Corsairs in the Pacific with practically no paint on the back of the prop. 

But apart from that. It's brilliant and actually looks real. 

Exceptional - absolutely fantastic build. May I ask what techniques you have used on the weathering for that? You have really achieved that scoured Pacific Theatre look which is to be commended and, I have to say it, stolen for my own use :rofl:

That's extremely well done, the cockpit shot looks about as convincing as any model I've seen. You can practically smell the authenticity. 

Not sure about the white panel lines but the wear and tear looks superb. 

An excellent build once again, great work 👏👏👏