As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Patrick Leong

1:6 AH-1F Cobra Helicopter

I am near completion on this 1/6 scale 7 ft long AH-1F Cobra. This one is modeled after an actual one from Desert Storm. It will be powered by a 12S Electric system. It also has an animated cockpit and gun: 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I don't ever visit the R/C subforum but as I was scrolling down all I saw was the title "AH-1F" and clicked on. Good lord sir! I thought I was looking at the real thing! My father was a Cobra pilot and I've been around them enough to know when I see the real one and this is just about it.

This is amazing work, Patrick! Looks incredibly real. How long did it take you to build?

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.  

Just fantastic! Beautiful finish and it amazes me how anyone can set out to achieve a high enough standard of engineering to make a model fly!

Am I right to assume this is scratchbuilt?

Thank you all for the kind words. While it is not scratch built, it is close because the kit was very basic fiberglass with no details. I'm in the process of tweaking the mechanics and power system, aiming to maiden fly it in 2-3 weeks. For those interested in the build process, here are the pictures:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/BHqkc93kK1vnXehi6

Chris, I started this project 12 years ago. Worked on it enough to fit the mechanics and abandoned it because it was too daunting. I only resumed work last fall when a friend 3d printed the complex Gatlin gun. So a total of about 8 months of work. Recent home isolation had  helped accelerate its completion greatly. 

Wow, that really is stunning. Looks as real as it gets!

Holy smokes! Even the Gunner moves!!! Where does the sound come from, internal speakers? This thing is insane! There is nothing more beautiful to hear in the sky than that tractor sound beating through the air. I have got to get one of these! 

On 4/29/2020 at 3:44 PM, whiskey said:

Holy smokes! Even the Gunner moves!!! Where does the sound come from, internal speakers? This thing is insane! There is nothing more beautiful to hear in the sky than that tractor sound beating through the air. I have got to get one of these! 

The sound comes from a transducer speaker inside, it vibrates the whole fuselage and treats it like a speaker to produce the sound.

Here are some progress videos, enjoy:)

I wonder if I can get the Doctor to prescribe one for me. It would make me so happy! It's just epic.

Just mind blowing. :worthy:

Gerry

Patrick, great pictures, but the only way I can see them is to copy/paste and put into a new tab.

I think they may be too big? they are flickering a bit but won't load here.

This is just totally unreal. I dunno if I want to fly it around for hours on end, load it with live miniature rockets and bullets and blow stuff up, or put it in a museum and admire the living daylights outta it.