Thunder Models Scammell Tank Transporter

have been doing some research on the trailer and how it was used (great video found). Some things to change/improve

1) jack handles weren't in place during travel

49801114351_9b21594945_b.jpgJack Handles 1 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

2) The ramp supports had hooks on the chassis

49801424177_1a840dbeea_b.jpgRamp Support Hooks by Robert Worth, on Flickr

3) The ramps were raised by connecting to the rear of the tank then raised as the tank was winched on

49801114311_5b1e288991_b.jpgRamp Raising by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49801114321_be08c9fe6c_b.jpgram rasier hooks by Robert Worth, on Flickr

the video also showed the cable layout for winching a Grant on (it uses a Hollowman Yoke?  which I have already glued on to the kit but not sure if thats cos the Grant was a heavy bugger so wont sued to the matilda (may see if I can prise off without too much damage but then guess I would need a mounting bracket for the bracket)

49801441422_65027bde17_b.jpgYoke by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 7

Hi Rob, I think I found that same video when doing research for my version, a while back. If I remember correctly it was some kind of instruction video for the team doing the work. It had some good images of how things would go together. Plus I liked the narrator's voice and style 🙂 

I had some fun scratching some of the stuff shown in the video, maybe this will help you in some way, in 1/35 you'll probably be able to make something more accurate then these small scale items. 

20200207174200-6cd8cd43-me.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Hi Rob, I think I found that same video when doing research for my version, a while back. If I remember correctly it was some kind of instruction video for the team doing the work. It had some good images of how things would go together. Plus I liked the narrator's voice and style 🙂 

I had some fun scratching some of the stuff shown in the video, maybe this will help you in some way, in 1/35 you'll probably be able to make something more accurate then these small scale items. 

20200207174200-6cd8cd43-me.jpg

great looking build, assume that is 1/72? The kit comes with the D-bracket BUT calls for it to be glued on which, of course, I did before seeing the video! The second part of the video shows a rescue using the tractor unit only, and this DOESN'T use the bracket. If I can remove from the box OK AND find reference for how it was mounted I may look to use it...

35 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

great looking build, assume that is 1/72? The kit comes with the D-bracket BUT calls for it to be glued on which, of course, I did before seeing the video! The second part of the video shows a rescue using the tractor unit only, and this DOESN'T use the bracket. If I can remove from the box OK AND find reference for how it was mounted I may look to use it...

Thanks, it's 1/76, the old Airfix transporter kit. 

It looks like they didn't always use a yoke, probably depended on what kind of vehicle was loaded on the transporter. 

Maybe these pics are of some help. 

20200421160336-d90c0ff0-me.jpg

20200421160337-26c629b9-me.jpg

I used this one for the chains at the rear: 

20200421160337-1b42b65e-me.jpg

• Like 4

thanks... so all the images I have showing how to cable them up use the yoke, and I now have an artists impression of the mount so going to see what happens if I remove form the "box" it is stuck to - if it is bad can always glue it back and abandon that 😉

next help - chain... kit comes with (I assume) PE chain to tie down (the chain PE isn't numbered and I cannot see it being used elsewhere but what other scale options do I have?

1 minute ago, Kris B said:

I see we've got the same idea for load. 

just something "right" about it. I have done some fiddly bits this evening, photos tomorrow. But slowly working through the trailer 

Just a thought (because this happened to me): I don't know whether the D-rings on the back of the transporter are fixed, but if so, and if you wish to add chains from the back of the transporter leading up to your tank, you should glue them in the "up" position. 

28 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Just a thought (because this happened to me): I don't know whether the D-rings on the back of the transporter are fixed, but if so, and if you wish to add chains from the back of the transporter leading up to your tank, you should glue them in the "up" position. 

nope they move - and yes saw they need to be raised for tie down...

and thanks all for info on chains & tie downs

• Like 1

Erm, seem to have finished the trailer apart from 1 piece of PE. Still amazed how easily it went together, am sure the tractor unit will need more time but that is awaiting the correct radiator so could be months. Wont paint this until the tractor is done.

49806712482_c6be85b959_b.jpgIMG_20200422_183543 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49805847533_2dec12177d_b.jpgIMG_20200422_183536 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49805847053_d350062672_b.jpgIMG_20200422_183608 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49806398346_acd8ef8650_b.jpgIMG_20200422_183551 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49806398336_95eb36807f_b.jpgIMG_20200422_183558 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 10

• 4 months later...

right, can't source a replacement radiator grille (Thunder Models have gone quiet and the one on Shapeways would be about 1/4 of the price I paid for the kit) so when this restarts I will build it with a cover to protect from a sandstorm (no evidence but if they covered engine area with blankets when cold why not with tarpaulin to protect from dust)

They did indeed use covers. There is an after market kit as well👍

Im folling this as it will be fun comparing how you get on compared to mine 😉

BTW I would highly recommend these REME kits. Lots of additional stuff that was used on these beasts. 

20200809_104445

And these after market wheels since the kit ones are regarded as preyy poor and in accurate although I have seen one pic of them in real life. Still I think they look a bit odd. 

Screenshot_20200917-102726_Chrome

Screenshot_20200917-102736_Chrome

Have fun👍👌

A

22 minutes ago, APA said:

They did indeed use covers. There is an after market kit as well👍

Im folling this as it will be fun comparing how you get on compared to mine 😉

BTW I would highly recommend these REME kits. Lots of additional stuff that was used on these beasts. 

20200809_104445

And these after market wheels since the kit ones are regarded as preyy poor and in accurate although I have seen one pic of them in real life. Still I think they look a bit odd. 

Screenshot_20200917-102726_Chrome

Screenshot_20200917-102736_Chrome

Have fun👍👌

A

thanks for that - funds are scarce at the moment so will make to with OOB/what I already have in stock.

Do you have any photos of the "cover" at all - or the aftermarket of which you speak?

They are also  Resicast sets: "352396 Scammel update set n°2" for the covered and "352393 Scammell update set No1" for the uncovered radiator plus a few more bits in each.

www.resicast.com search "Scammell"

They do quit a few sets for these kits. It looks from their site that they are agents for Thunder Models so I figure they know what they are working with.

A

Here's the set with the rad cover. 

http://resicast.com/eshop/gb/accessories/373-352396-scammell-update-set-n2.html?search_query=Scammell&results=7

Scroll through and there is a pic of the covered rad. 

I started my kit last month and got the chassis done but found that the string they give you for the tow cable too short so I've been waiting for some to arrive from Eureka XXL.

One mod you may want to consider is for the steering. Perth Military Modelling has an article on how to modify the kit parts. I've done it on my build and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/thundermodel/tm35200g01.html

Carl

Edited by FG2Si
Typo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, FG2Si said:

Here's the set with the rad cover. 

http://resicast.com/eshop/gb/accessories/373-352396-scammell-update-set-n2.html?search_query=Scammell&results=7

Scroll through and there is a pic of the covered rad. 

I started my kit last month and got the chassis done but found that the string they give you for the tow cable too short so I've been waiting for some to arrive from Eureka XXL.

One mod you may want to consider is for the steering. Perth Military Modelling has an article on how to modify the kit parts. I've done it on my build and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/thundermodel/tm35200g01.html

Carl

cheers Carl... least I Can hide the radiator (have emailed Thunder to see if they are still shipping the replacements). I will look at the steering. When I looked at the kit originally I found comment on the stowage uner the RHS door - this thread shows how to update it:

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/thundermodel/tm35200g02.html

• Like 1

An engine... 27 pieces and still a few more (plus some very small PE). I am going to hold off using the radiator as long as I can just in case TM confirm they can get me one (there are enough components I can build up in the cab to give them a few weeks)...

50359024523_4d227f0cb8_b.jpg

50359725381_02cbf318ab_b.jpg

50359725341_7473afcd21_b.jpg

• Like 7