Thunder Models Scammell Tank Transporter

done some more work on rear axles and wheels but photos are of engine and cab floor in situ ( all just placed for the moment). I think I will prime the cab, chassis etc and trailer this weekend (may even get the factory colour down on the cab interior)

50426531477_09235deabc_b.jpg

50425664568_83463e5261_b.jpg

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looking good, Rob !! I like the wood effects. 

9 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looking really good there Rob nice progress

Stay safe         Roger

Thanks both..can confirm that all (most) major assembly is done so it has moved up to the paint desk for primer this weekend (time permitting). Am still hoping for a replacement radiator so have not built the front yet. May see if there is a way to have the radiator removable just in case....

Next photos will be with grey primer on

• Like 2

thanks all.. primer is on the chassis and cab interior. Still thinking of doing hairspary chipping of the base brown over the wood but not 100% decided

• 2 weeks later...

Khaki Green #3 (according to Mike Starmer's excellent treatise on British WWII scheme's the factory colour) is on. Chipped the cab floor to show some of the wood and faded it in places. Should allow for the cab to be fitted (and engine) and then the cab interior to be added as well as decals for the dials....

IMG-20201024-134749.jpg

IMG-20201024-134755.jpg

IMG-20201024-134806.jpg

IMG-20201024-134830.jpg

IMG-20201024-134837.jpg

IMG-20201024-134905.jpg

• Like 11

thanks all... will build the cab and attach to chassis before "SAND-IFYING" it... considering some stowage in the rear and perhaps passenger footwell, have a few flimsies and some boxes lying around

• Like 1

That looks really good, chipping is not something I have done before but that is really effective. Are you are painting this in a modular way and then piecing it together before weathering etc?

Both the trailer and the truck seem to have quite a lot of hidden detail so its balance, which I am pondering, when to stop building and start painting!!?

37 minutes ago, RichardW said:

That looks really good, chipping is not something I have done before but that is really effective. Are you are painting this in a modular way and then piecing it together before weathering etc?

Both the trailer and the truck seem to have quite a lot of hidden detail so its balance, which I am pondering, when to stop building and start painting!!?

thanks Richard... there are a lot of small pieces in the cab that, if all built THEN painted would risk damage... I am going to fix the front firewall unit to the floor (after instrument decals) and then fix engine & part built cab to the chassis. That way I can get enough pressure on the cab floor without damaging anything and then fix the small thin parts after... will do dust weathering all in one go tho....

ok.... so cab and engine in place.... need to add some small PE parts to the engine and the seats levers etc to the cab.... must say I am rather happy with how this is progressing....

IMG-20201025-162106.jpg

IMG-20201025-163808.jpg

IMG-20201025-163823.jpg

IMG-20201025-163946.jpg

IMG-20201025-163830.jpg

• Like 10

On 10/25/2020 at 6:04 PM, APA said:

The awkward bit, I found, with fitting the cab is the steering wheel and column. Can only fit the steering wheel once the cab is fitted. Slightly annoying.

A

not a problem as I decided it was safer to fit the cab before adding seat etc... did make for a slightly fiddly addition of seats & levers but rather that than trying to get pressure to attach to chassis with these thin parts added...

so, seats, 2 boxes and some levers in... next up steering column & linkage and exhaust I believe (Still no sign of replacement radiator and TM have gone VERY silent on it :-()

IMG-20201027-130154.jpg

IMG-20201027-130208.jpg

IMG-20201027-130202.jpg

• Like 10

Doing a cracking job on this one Rob.....nice looking build so far....:yes:, that wood looks so realistic and worn in the right places. Looks a complicated build overall.......much like my present project, but all worth it I'm told....:wacko:

• Like 1

Having sub assemblies built means it progress in blocks... rear wheel mountings added, air filter, exhaust, steering column and linkage (need to paint the steering wheel and lever then that will be added and then the sides of the cab.

IMG-20201028-080410.jpg

IMG-20201028-080439.jpg

IMG-20201028-080423.jpg

• Like 9