Thunder Models Scammell Tank Transporter

3 hours ago, robw_uk said:

and now I have evidence... caunter scheme is a possibility (but no nice air recognition on the roof)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/1-76-airfix-scammell-tt-upgrade-conversion-to-earl-t324027.html

That's interesting as I wouldn't have thought a transporter would have enough panel area to do a decent Caunter scheme. Should be fun doing that though and you can always add the roundel as I'm sure they did.

Other options I was considering were a well used tractor in one scheme with a shinny new replacement trailer in another scheme. Bit like you see with Articulated lorries. A 'factory colour' with a contrasting 'field applied' coat just on the outside bits. Or it painted to look like an M3 Grant to fool the Germans..... oh wait!

A

4 hours ago, robw_uk said:

and now I have evidence... caunter scheme is a possibility (but no nice air recognition on the roof)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/1-76-airfix-scammell-tt-upgrade-conversion-to-earl-t324027.html

Wait, what ?? :D

Just because a photo does not exist, does not mean that it never happened.... In fact, It's quite the opposite. 

You have pix of a dazzling Scammell, and pix of a plain Scammell with a nice fat roundel.....

Therefore, Ergo would say that at least One Scammell had Both the Roundel and the dazzle scheme ;)

I am the Center of My Universe.... Prove me wrong :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Wait, what ?? :D

Just because a photo does not exist, does not mean that it never happened.... In fact, It's quite the opposite. 

You have pix of a dazzling Scammell, and pix of a plain Scammell with a nice fat roundel.....

Therefore, Ergo would say that at least One Scammell had Both the Roundel and the dazzle scheme ;)

I am the Center of My Universe.... Prove me wrong :D

sold... Caunter with roundel on it it will be and then plain trailer... and according to Mr Starmer I can use the No 3 brown as the dark colour

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

sold... Caunter with roundel on it it will be and then plain trailer... and according to Mr Starmer I can use the No 3 brown as the dark colour

Well, there you go.... Another satisfied customer ;)

It will look stunning in that scheme with the roundel on top. 

• Like 1

Lookig good rob so far,  for added details these can be mine fields ,but  it looks a far more complete chassis and engine than the  1/35 IBG pioneer i built a couple of years ago, still rates as one of my most enjoyable models though, good luck with it rob

Started to add chassis pieces, engine still movable as I want to paint & weather this off the body (and now have some really nice photos showing how the engine grimes up and where rust/chipping/oil etc happens - may start the painting over the weekend)...

50382168933_7bf95a4cea_b.jpg

50382871576_2f471cc35e_b.jpg

50382168908_ebd2c746c7_b.jpg

• Like 10

started on the cab as well - a nice wooden floor which will be

1. primed grey
  2. painted wood colour
  3. hairsprayed
  4. painted base (Khaki Green No 3)
  5. chipped to show the underlying wood paint where normal wear & tear would show)

so tomorrow (if I get time) will be prime the engine (black) and prime the cab floor (grey) (and do the same on the M4 HST)

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

engine primed black, wooden cab floor primed grey.... 

50385868036_3f0ab2a81f_b.jpg

50385868026_42b5d714c8_b.jpg

50385985057_f93cd2ba87_b.jpg

All personal taste etc but I sanded the cab floors and other bits flat then scribbled the planks and some grain in with course sandpaper and diamond file. After all they would be planed and sanded in the factory. British workmanship and all that! 😉

A

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, APA said:

All personal taste etc but I sanded the cab floors and other bits flat then scribbled the planks and some grain in with course sandpaper and diamond file. After all they would be planed and sanded in the factory. British workmanship and all that! 😉

A

yeah might be a tad heavy grained... probably wont see much of it after wood paint, then hairspray, then base colour, then wear & tear

7 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

yeah might be a tad heavy grained... probably wont see much of it after wood paint, then hairspray, then base colour, then wear & tear

Your probably right. Get that weathering on it and it will all blend on. 

Crack on..... 👍😁

A

• Like 1

back to the building desk after a weekend of painting. Some more work on the chassis - this time the trailer coupling. Used a guide from the Panzerserra build (http://panzerserra.blogspot.com/2018/03/scammell-pioneer-trmu30-tractor-with.html) to make the coupling more robust...

and the first "semi mating" of tractor and trailer (need more supports on the chassis before it looks more accurate...

50395412827_ba1f1da9bc_b.jpg

50394553098_2cd5882b5a_b.jpg

50394552953_0d77e4f55f_b.jpg

50395244346_bc4bc339f6_b.jpg

• Like 10

Just now, edjbartos said:

Really nice work Rob, love the engine. The detail on this model really looks impressive..

Ed

Ed, thanks... and yes the detail is but not at the sake of buildability....

• Like 1

Hi Rob, really taking shape with the two connected.

Looks as if your knocking it into submission though, going to look really impressive once completed. 

Really must go back to the beginning and have a proper read through.

Great work.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Rob, really taking shape with the two connected.

Looks as if your knocking it into submission though, going to look really impressive once completed. 

Really must go back to the beginning and have a proper read through.

Great work.

Atb

Darryl 

cheers Darryl.. it has been a good build, as I said, detailed but not overly complex... going to be slow for a while as need to prime components of the cab before partly building it - might get that done this weekend but have 4 kits in paint/weathering I could do with progressing first

29 minutes ago, vytautas said:

It does seem like a very good job 👍

An excellent model with many technological details. Will the engine be visible? Dirty and dusty engines with all kinds of pipes and wires looking very cool 🙂

the engine will be visible, have some good references for weathering so will try to get it accurate (need to add some PE detail once weathering is done as well).

today's work, coupling complete plus added the rope from the winch that will go to the trailer. If I do hitch it all up it does make the set "stuck" but would be worth it to have the load tied down....

50398185738_8c7c23d260_b.jpg

I also did some work on the seat cushions - this timed used very thin "fibre" sheet from packing a pair of my sons trainers (Lonsdale ones if anyone is interested)... stuck to the cushions using extra thin cement (so house stinks at the moment)...

1) cut sheet to rough size

2) use thin cement to clue largest area

3) work round the edges with glue, use knife blade to press in to plastic and clean up edges

50398877381_010c3222e1_b.jpg

ends up like

50399037292_9893a50203_b.jpg

so some tidying up with glue needed

and this is more cushions

50399037757_1ec15dc7d2_b.jpg

• Like 5

so an afternoon painting wood (including on thE M4 HST) and starting the weathering on the engine leave me with:

50412339206_1a61de3a45_b.jpg

50412493157_bc0c5df6f7_b.jpg

50411639423_19526241e4_b.jpg

50412492562_e470287b30_b.jpg

50412492452_c186ce59ce_b.jpg

50411640548_45b7302481_b.jpg

I followed this tutorial on painting wood which actually is quite fun slaphdash washes (plus i addedsome transparent orange at the end)

• Like 9