Thunder Models Scammell Tank Transporter

2 minutes ago, APA said:

I think you can pretty much finish the whole thing except for the engine cover top without the radiator 😁

Will we be getting injector pipes etc? 

A

i dont think so... unles syou have plans... 

Nice progress on the engine Rob. I remember thinking how simple it was initially until I started adding all the small detail parts. 

You should be able to install the engine without the rad. I did it that way without any issues. 

18 hours ago, APA said:

Google Scammell Gardner Engine and there are lots of reference pics. Just make sure you paint the block either eggshell blue or pale sea green for the military version

img_5

A

very nice... not sure my mind is up to that but will see how it goes

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Looking good Rob.....interesting build to follow....:yes:, looks like a lot of work

Simon

it has a lot of smaller parts BUT on the whole goes together well (user error not withstanding). Think for the engine it calls out either the grey/blue (above photo I guess) or base vehicle colour (ie sand)... Quite like the idea of the blue if it is accurate...

anyway today's build completed the engine (barring small PE bits) and started on the chassis.  Didn't attempt steering, too much of a wimp 😉 (engine just dry fitted for now)

50363113453_9a3f8d03f0_b.jpg

50363974392_d703659a78_b.jpg

50363113513_de32f16fd5_b.jpg

50363809436_45f7f58f4b_b.jpg

I did find a couple of magically appearing pieces within the engine build. After much searching I believe this is correct:

50363113958_96c57f4b4f_b.jpg

• Like 9

All good stuff 👍 When I did the research the engine was kept the stock factory colour i.e. either light blue or green as per the pic I posted. After all why bother repainting an engine. As for the base colour they were all painted in either SCC2 Brown or SCC15 Olive Drab then locally painted so your cab and under gear can be that colour then the outer bits and trailer can be the scheme of your choice. With yours being the earlier trailer I would go with SSC2 BUT Knowing the hornets nest of British colours I may be completely wrong as there always seems to be a caveat!🙄

A

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, APA said:

Google Scammell Gardner Engine and there are lots of reference pics. Just make sure you paint the block either eggshell blue or pale sea green for the military version

img_5

A

Wish I had this pic when I painted mine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, APA said:

All good stuff 👍 When I did the research the engine was kept the stock factory colour i.e. either light blue or green as per the pic I posted. After all why bother repainting an engine. As for the base colour they were all painted in either SCC2 Brown or SCC15 Olive Drab then locally painted so your cab and under gear can be that colour then the outer bits and trailer can be the scheme of your choice. With yours being the earlier trailer I would go with SSC2 BUT Knowing the hornets nest of British colours I may be completely wrong as there always seems to be a caveat!🙄

A

oohhh ok... and I thought I could just it all sand... .hmmm will have to think if going "as per kit" ... or look at b& w to see what the colour differential is

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

oohhh ok... and I thought I could just it all sand... .hmmm will have to think if going "as per kit" ... or look at b& w to see what the colour differential is

Good luck. I watched all the vids on Youtube for ages trying to get a good shot of the cab rear curtain. They always seem to cut away just before.... grrrr Those recovery vids are excellent to get detail. There is even a section in one where the Sargent Major is givng a walk through and pointing at bits with his stick. Can't get better than that!

Asfor colour a good example would be the most famous Scammell Transporter of them all, "Snow White". There is a photo of her in Normandy on the way to being evacuated and then a few years later in North Africa! If it is the same snow white then she would have been repainted from SCC2 to Desert colours. There are quite a few threads on her if you dig around.

download

Normandy

Scammell_transporter

North Africa

BTW technically mine is wrong. It's painted in SCC2 and black but the trailer is a gooseneck which is late war when that scheme went.

One mod I would suggest which is easy but I think adds a lot is drilling out the sections below the rear legs and adding mud guards.

20200511_174926

20200402_180640

wd_TankTransport_Scammell_TRMU30_12

And finally there were a series of books published in conjunction with Thunder Models which has loads of detailing. Unfortunately they are out of print and very difficult to get hold of! But if you search for it you can get a few preview shots of the inside which can give some details

115251-15887-21-pristine

A

• Like 3

oohhh have built the trailer, not sure I could drill, but will have a look... and thanks for the help. Looking at Snow White (had seen that photo) the chassis looks pale enough to have been resprayed - think I will go for that look but have plenty of time to change my mind

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Good going and good pointers by @APA. With a kit engine with that detail, you just have to have the bonnet up...just sayin' :wink:

Stuart

if I get a replacement radiator I will consider - otherwise most of it will have to be covered

• Like 2

More small components... ordered the recommended blue paint (think it will do for the SU-122 ans T-54-2 builds planned for latter - think their interiors have a blue part or two) but need to work out if I paint the engine now then look to fit and, if I do, how to mask when I paint the chassis etc 

50368028173_139888e8c1_b.jpg

• Like 8

Great progress on your build Rob. 

@APA, thanks for all the tips and details. My own build is a bit too far along but it's still helpful. 

I also found the book you mentioned. HLJ says they can get it in 3-5 days from their distributor so I've gone and ordered it. Since I believe they are also the distributor, I hope that's the case. 

https://www.hlj.com/scammell-pioneer-sv2s-trmu-30-r100-cpraw18

Carl

1 hour ago, APA said:

If your going to put cable on that reel I would do it now 😉 I packed it out to save on cable BTW 👍

A

Ah yes... It hasn't actually said to cable it up.... Will have to see before it is fixed (that's a way away)

9 minutes ago, FG2Si said:

Great progress on your build Rob. 

@APA, thanks for all the tips and details. My own build is a bit too far along but it's still helpful. 

I also found the book you mentioned. HLJ says they can get it in 3-5 days from their distributor so I've gone and ordered it. Since I believe they are also the distributor, I hope that's the case. 

https://www.hlj.com/scammell-pioneer-sv2s-trmu-30-r100-cpraw18

Carl

I just clicked on the link and it said £1520 😳 I hope you didn't pay that much!!!!! I might try and get it and the other one for my R100 ans SV2S builds in the future

6 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

Ah yes... It hasn't actually said to cable it up.... Will have to see before it is fixed (that's a way away)

The instructions don't tell you a lot of things 🤔 But that is where the main cable is wound. Oh and good luck feeding the cable from the winch blocks on the top of the trailer through and down then under and along all the rollers and bends back into that drum all in one piece 🤞😆

A

26 minutes ago, APA said:
41 minutes ago, FG2Si said:

I just clicked on the link and it said £1520 😳 I hope you didn't pay that much!!!!! I might try and get it and the other one for my R100 ans SV2S builds in the future

Odd, it came up as $20.46 CAD for me. Which is, what? A couple pence these days?

Are you sure it's not showing you the Yen price?

1 minute ago, FG2Si said:

Odd, it came up as $20.46 CAD for me. Which is, what? A couple pence these days?

Are you sure it's not showing you the Yen price?

No I thought that and double checked GBP 1520. Probably is Yen and a Web glitch. 

A

9 hours ago, APA said:

The instructions don't tell you a lot of things 🤔 But that is where the main cable is wound. Oh and good luck feeding the cable from the winch blocks on the top of the trailer through and down then under and along all the rollers and bends back into that drum all in one piece 🤞😆

A

Will at least try before I glue everything together... 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 11:00 AM, Redcoat2966 said:

Yeah.....my Dragon Kursk Panther came with a set of Modelkasten for £32 and free shipping.......:thumbsup:

Tamiya Wespe, Aber PE, metal barrel and Modelkasten tracks for £15....

On 9/20/2020 at 4:55 PM, APA said:

A

just looking at Mike Starmer's colour site... khaki green g3 would do as a base for a 39-41 vehicle which i have in the Caunter paint set with possibly light stone over the top (or Caunter scheme?????)

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

just looking at Mike Starmer's colour site... khaki green g3 would do as a base for a 39-41 vehicle which i have in the Caunter paint set with possibly light stone over the top (or Caunter scheme?????)

and now I have evidence... caunter scheme is a possibility (but no nice air recognition on the roof)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/1-76-airfix-scammell-tt-upgrade-conversion-to-earl-t324027.html

• Like 1