The sleekest of the cats - Jaguar T.2

SEPECAT Jaguar T.2A XX150 / PW

No.16 (Reserve) Squadron, RAF Coltishall, 2004

Hasegawa 1/72 kit + resin wing with flaps + PP Aeroparts airbrakes

Model Alliance decals

IMG_4012

The old Hasegawa Jaguar kit still holds up pretty well against more modern mouldings. The cockpit interior is simplified, but we always like to add stuff there anyway don’t we. I used the kit seats as a basis, reshaped them a bit, added seat straps, firing handles, etc. The T.2 kit scores over the GR.1 issue in that two underwing drop tanks are provided (and also another under-fuselage tank for the French E version). I finished one of the tanks in the older Dark Green / Dark Sea Grey colours to add a bit of variety.

XX842 16 Sqn 2

IMG_4015

IMG_4023

IMG_4008

I picked up the resin wing with flaps and slats deployed from the Freightdog stand at Telford. This is by no means a new item, but is just a straight drop-in replacement for the kit part with no cutting needed (though, as always, with a touch of filler here and there). I also had some old PP Aeroparts photoetch airbrakes which came in very handy as the kit parts are not great.

IMG_4022

IMG_4019

Decals were from Model Alliance which were great in terms of printing and colour, but the 16 Sqn fin bars had slightly wrong angles front and rear and I found myself fiddling around with tiny strips of yellow decal to correct that. Worked out OK in the end though. I used another Model Alliance sheet for the stencils. This provided some microscopic no step markings on the top surfaces which was very impressive but I must admit I struggled with decals that small and abandoned them after convincing myself from photos of the real aircraft that they’re just not visible anyway. What do you think?:

T2 top surface

IMG_4018

IMG_4017

IMG_4014

IMG_4009

IMG_4020

IMG_4007

• Like 44

A very nice Jag indeed. I have decals for the all black 16 Squadron display aircraft which I need to build some time. I'll also be using the Hasegawa kit which I've had in the stash for years.

Very nice representation of a very sleek bird.  I have the Matchbox version on the bench just now and it is nowhere near the quality of the Hasegawa kit.

Cheers

Graeme

2 minutes ago, Bangor Lad said:

A very nice Jag indeed. I have decals for the all black 16 Squadron display aircraft which I need to build some time. I'll also be using the Hasegawa kit which I've had in the stash for years.

Like you, I also have a few of those Hasegawa kits in the stash. I really like the RAF Germany Dark Green / Dark Sea Grey wraparound scheme and I plan to do 14, 17, 20 and 31 Sqns.....maybe one day. I hope you've got some of those PP Aeroparts airbrakes, otherwise you will be drilling tiny holes in tiny kit airbrakes!

4 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

Like you, I also have a few of those Hasegawa kits in the stash. I really like the RAF Germany Dark Green / Dark Sea Grey wraparound scheme and I plan to do 14, 17, 20 and 31 Sqns.....maybe one day. I hope you've got some of those PP Aeroparts airbrakes, otherwise you will be drilling tiny holes in tiny kit airbrakes!

No Desert Storm/Op Granby Jags?

Very nice model, well done.

Many years ago I built an Indian Air Force T2 from this kit.  IIRC, it went together really nicely.  I also used the PP air brakes.  It may still be up in the loft somewhere.

2 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

No Desert Storm/Op Granby Jags?

Those desert pink Jags are all about weathering and have very few markings, unless you're into nose art and then which one or two do you choose? Anyway I have loads of old Modeldecals to use up (including the Desert Storm ones actually)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scottyphbeta said:

Looks excellent, what paInt and wash do you use?

Paint was Xtracolour enamels (Dark Camouflage Grey and Dark Sea Grey) over Tamiya grey primer, with Klear coat before the decals and Humbrol Matt Coat after. The panel lines are highlighted with a very sharp HB pencil. The dark wash around the control surfaces with very thinned black oil paint.

I have recently been using acrylic paints but I've had trouble with them clogging the airbrush so I went back to enamels for this one and it was a pleasure to airbrush with them. You just have to be patient and wait for them to dry - and to be honest most of us have plenty of time at the moment don't we.

On 17 April 2020 at 9:29 AM, CT Modeller said:

Paint was Xtracolour enamels (Dark Camouflage Grey and Dark Sea Grey) over Tamiya grey primer, with Klear coat before the decals and Humbrol Matt Coat after. The panel lines are highlighted with a very sharp HB pencil. The dark wash around the control surfaces with very thinned black oil paint.

I have recently been using acrylic paints but I've had trouble with them clogging the airbrush so I went back to enamels for this one and it was a pleasure to airbrush with them. You just have to be patient and wait for them to dry - and to be honest most of us have plenty of time at the moment don't we.

I'm using Xtracolor enamels too with the Humbrol Satin or Matt Cote, seeing this, will stick with them 👍

Lovely job Chris. And nice touch to do one of the tanks in the old colours. That resin wing looks great. This Hasegawa T2 kit was the last one I bought (and started) before I stopped modelling in the early 90s. Still got it though, together with the etch airbrakes, an etch  ladder and some nice white metal seats. Time to dig it out methinks...

Justin