Special Hobby: Seversky P-35A

Been building this little bird for a few weeks on and off now, i got it mainly because it looks a bit like the P47 and i was interested in its shape and history. The P-35 was a part of the P47s development and has to do with the development of the Curtiss Hawk series of aircraft starting with the P-36 Mohawk. Work on my model stagnated a little but just recently i was watching a YouTube series about the restoration of the same aircraft mine is modelled after, it also gave me some other ideas for it.

Today i finally got the model finished. Its made by Special Hobby and i shall be buying more kits by them in future, the Vindicator is one of their kits that i'll be looking for, for a start! Its been an interesting build and one thing i should say is the amount of detail already moulded into the kit is quite excellent, only downside is that its not an ideal 'first' kit simply because it has no locating pins so careful lining up of fuselage and wing halves is required before applying any glue. The locators for the interior cockpit were very good though. There are decals for four different models,  some resin parts are included (landing leg fairings and machine guns) and there is a small set of detailed photo etch parts but they were far too small for my massive fingers, i dont bother with etch myself. Nothing against it, just not keen on it for a 1:72 scale. There is also a choice of open or closed cowl flaps, i thought it would look good with the flaps open.

0-F748339-0-EBA-48-A6-AF47-C96-D30571-BF

3-BE538-C0-F34-D-497-E-89-A6-08-A75-B4-F

54631-DBE-1-BE6-4-C29-871-B-7-AC1-F0394-

6-C7206-DC-1-E1-B-4-D8-B-8-FD1-2-F725-B8

AF754614-F543-4-DDF-AC80-F2-F0-D81-CA816

F5-A69-D44-97-CF-459-D-A434-D88-C80640-E

The black walk-ways weren't on mine until i'd watched some of the restoration process of the one at Kermit Weeks and saw they were on the real thing, so i added them later.

Its not just a window in the side, its a hatch for the rear cockpit!

I was somewhat apprehensive of the tail decals but in fact they sorted themselves out, i thought maybe i'd have to trim them a little but in fact they have met at the trailing edge and fused both sides; no worrying was required! The yellow wing is the upper wing for a Helldiver biplane. That will be ready soon!

The decals for this kit are actually very good, they dont have a load of spare edge around them and are quite crisp!

Very pleased with this little birdie, it took a bit longer to do and one of the resin parts was broken, but despite my tree trunk fingers i was able to repair it!

• Like 15

Thank you! It came at a time when i was doing okay and then during the build i was struggling within, mojo ebbing away a bit; i blame it on the virus, its affecting everybody's lives in many ways, not just being locked away. I had a few days away and after about a week i was ready to go again! I like the rarer aircraft, and i will be looking for a Vengeance and a vindicator, the is also a Bell XP-75 i'd like to get and add to my collection! Thank you for your kind words.🙂

Thank you 😊 

just been fitting the top wing on the Helldiver. Looks good! Got rubber bands on to keep the outer wingstruts glued in place, wheels on and final paint touches later.

Edited by Markh-75

Thank you, that is just what I need to read, sir! Always GOOD encouragement in this group! There will be another model in a day or two when the Helldiver is ready, and I shall continue to please after that!  After the Helldiver I shall start on the Privateer! That’ll test my mettle!😋😆🤓

I've just re-submitted the pictures for this model, Thank you Modelling Emontonian, for your response as I couldn't remember if I'd posted this one or not, and on looking it over I saw the pictures werent working; I've reposted them as I dont have a Flickr account now, I now use Post Image.

Thank you Everyone!

• Like 1