Lockheed PBO-1 Hudson, VP-82, Newfoundland, 1942

Here's my recently completed build of MPM's Lockheed PBO-1 Hudson, complete with RAF Dk.Green/Dk.Earth/Sky finish in US Navy markings.

I did this for the 'In the Navy' GB.

Here's the build thread.

It didn't go without it's problems and looking at it now I'm still not happy with the fit of the separate nose section. Also the port tailfin and main oleo leg are a bit scewed (heavy landing!).

The decals were commendably thin but broke up just looking at them! Had to use bits of the spare decals for repairs.

Used Vallejo ModelAir paints, Johnsons Klear gloss hand brushed on and Vallejo Matt Varnish, thinned and airbrushed.

Davey.

DSC_0017 DSC_0019 DSC_0020 DSC_0021 DSC_0022

• Like 29

22 minutes ago, Beard said:

That's very nice. I have the Revell boxing in the stash, I'm yet to pluck the courage up to do it.

Someone mentioned during the build that the Revell instructions recommend a 1mm insert in front of the cockpit which I think is about right.

Lots of test fitting needed!

Davey.

I feel your pain, I built the Italeri version and it was certainly challenging but rewarding to end up with a nice Hudson.  Great work and I am impressed that you did this in a GB , mine took me flippin ages to do on and off.

Yours looks absolutely lovely.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Not a nice kit to build but you`ve certainly done it credit and I love the scheme too,...... brilliant job! That turret was an inspired decision!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

1.            What a magnificent model! And, also, it is from one of my particular areas of interest – aviation in Newfoundland 1919 – 49.

2.            My only criticism (and it is a minor one indeed) is the captioning. In my opinion, if you eliminated Newfoundland from the caption you would be right on!

3.            Essentially, I have never seen any evidence that the PBO-1’s ever were fitted with a turret during their deployment to Newfoundland. None of the photos that I possess showing these aircraft before their deployment, on their way to Newfoundland, while they were there and on their way back to the US show them with a turret. Furthermore, the USN’s UBat reports for this unit, when detailing the aircraft armament for each, specify the tunnel gun but never a reference to a turret.

4.            The most-used pictorial reference for these aircraft appears to be an excellent broadside photo of an aircraft that is identical to the model and is captioned as being taken at Argentia. I suspect that it was really taken at Quonset. It certainly does not appear to be Argentia although my personal recollections of the place are nearly 6 decades old. My opinion is that this is either an aircraft that was held back for prototype turret installation or,more probably, had the turret installed after the return to the US. I would say that the possibility that this was a single aircraft with the turret installed and that ended up in Argentia is very slim.

5.            If anybody wishes to model one of these aircraft they might find it worthwhile to consult the Aviaeology decal and document package which, besides decals, contains a wealth of information on North American based Hudsons.

6.            Please do not interpret the above remarks is any kind of criticism directed at an excellent model and a fine tribute to a little-known and highly successful USN unit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Someone mentioned during the build that the Revell instructions recommend a 1mm insert in front of the cockpit which I think is about right.

Lots of test fitting needed!

Davey.

They do, I've read them several times before deciding not to build it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Carl V said:

1.            What a magnificent model! And, also, it is from one of my particular areas of interest – aviation in Newfoundland 1919 – 49.

2.            My only criticism (and it is a minor one indeed) is the captioning. In my opinion, if you eliminated Newfoundland from the caption you would be right on!

3.            Essentially, I have never seen any evidence that the PBO-1’s ever were fitted with a turret during their deployment to Newfoundland. None of the photos that I possess showing these aircraft before their deployment, on their way to Newfoundland, while they were there and on their way back to the US show them with a turret. Furthermore, the USN’s UBat reports for this unit, when detailing the aircraft armament for each, specify the tunnel gun but never a reference to a turret.

4.            The most-used pictorial reference for these aircraft appears to be an excellent broadside photo of an aircraft that is identical to the model and is captioned as being taken at Argentia. I suspect that it was really taken at Quonset. It certainly does not appear to be Argentia although my personal recollections of the place are nearly 6 decades old. My opinion is that this is either an aircraft that was held back for prototype turret installation or,more probably, had the turret installed after the return to the US. I would say that the possibility that this was a single aircraft with the turret installed and that ended up in Argentia is very slim.

5.            If anybody wishes to model one of these aircraft they might find it worthwhile to consult the Aviaeology decal and document package which, besides decals, contains a wealth of information on North American based Hudsons.

6.            Please do not interpret the above remarks is any kind of criticism directed at an excellent model and a fine tribute to a little-known and highly successful USN unit.

Very interesting comments and always good to hear from more learned individuals.  I always accept any sort of criticism and often helps with the next project.

I'm always wary of information, whether it be from the internet (my main source), books or even from people who think they know a subject. I try not to tie myself into knots getting subjects 'right' as it leads to not enjoying what's supposed to be a relaxing hobby 🙄.  The photo you mention (and an angled view from the front of this actual aircraft) is what lead me to not follow the instructions regarding the intakes and exhaust, also the RDF antenna (MPM had you use the teardrop faired one).  

Regards, Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

Not a nice kit to build but you`ve certainly done it credit and I love the scheme too,...... brilliant job! That turret was an inspired decision!

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony, it's always a good day when you finish an MPM/SH/et al kit!

I still think the turret isn't quite right, it should angle slightly more shallower on the gun side, if you know what I mean. Anyway, not gonna obsess about it.

Cheers, Davey.

• Like 1

Great to see a Hudson - and a handsome one too. Nice clean job on this kit; you can't tell how challenging it is from your results. I tried it a couple of years ago and it was a real test, but the reward was worth it. 

On 4/16/2020 at 6:38 PM, DaveyGair said:

Cheers Tony, it's always a good day when you finish an MPM/SH/et al kit!

I still think the turret isn't quite right, it should angle slightly more shallower on the gun side, if you know what I mean. Anyway, not gonna obsess about it.

Cheers, Davey.

Yeah I made the cut out bigger on my kit which enabled the turret to sit lower,...... but yours still looks excellent,......now onwards and upwards to the next challenge and stick this beauty in the cabinet!

Cheers

Tony