Tamiya Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR

Another fun build, and one of my favorites. As always I made plenty of mistakes, but learning more each time. Most of the Tamiya kits are excellent quality, which makes them fun to build.

UWCHCEPRMN1L0y3nLqF802SkUZhGMtoMN-ScHhPF

The finished article 🙂 

I'm really pleased I used the carbon fiber decals, and then a coat of clear Tamiya gloss over the top, as it really makes them pop.

NRJWX3oggau4rHtePJPRNgFE-yCkm1RfSGJ288Ig

I used some Top Studio rivets 0.9 mm round head and a pin drill to give an authentic look.... very fiddly but worth it.

JibGe2QrFMwDLspXs6KDQ0bLy_eG-SRskT615QjW

With so much decal-ing the clear coat was essential... I get most nervous doing this final part as I've messed up a few models when clear coating.

RyYDnaIqPv17_Fo7bABAcZrmZC9olcqY-uCMj9tg

KuGC6jTZCl6qIyBHeVlt4bhjuNjdgfbltRIhy8Ol

m9D2bc9KMQxWetkHCK30ciQ-8k8byBWxPdsNiLyF

w-tEeR5Ng72X9T6qdVHurvQwhXtS-G-U-clDCMjA

Looking forward to comments and tips.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

That looks very good indeed. One small tip for your next build remove the seam line from the middle of the tyres for a more realistic look. Looking forward to seeing the next one 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

One small tip for your next build remove the seam line from the middle of the tyres for a more realistic look

Andy beat me to it, as that was the only comment I was going to make - other than to say that that is a very neat, clean build! Excellent work on the paint and decals!

Keith

• Like 1

Agreed on the clear coat - it's makes the decals feel like part of the model, although I have managed to melt a few decals being too aggressive with the lacquer. Build looks great - hadn't seen this livery before!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy J said:

That looks very good indeed. One small tip for your next build remove the seam line from the middle of the tyres for a more realistic look. Looking forward to seeing the next one 👍

As I posted the picture... I thought the same..... will need to do some touch ups. I also got some Tamiya panel line accent... so I may touch up a few bits with that too. Thanks for the input.

3 hours ago, NicoT said:

As I posted the picture... I thought the same..... will need to do some touch ups. I also got some Tamiya panel line accent... so I may touch up a few bits with that too. Thanks for the input.

Hi Nico , as you probably know once built these bikes are quite fragile so please don't risk damaging your excellent work for the sake of pleasing the audience. The bike looks great as it is just take the tips into your next build 👍

On the positive side you have inspired me to build another bike kit it's been a few years since the last one time to start searching for another 🙂

spacer.png

Regards Andy 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I do wish you lot would stop posting pics of such great bike builds - I've never really been into bikes but the more I see posted on here, the worse the itch is getting!

Me too!😀👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I do wish you lot would stop posting pics of such great bike builds - I've never really been into bikes but the more I see posted on here, the worse the itch is getting!

Keith

Go for it 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andy J said:

Hi Nico , as you probably know once built these bikes are quite fragile so please don't risk damaging your excellent work for the sake of pleasing the audience. The bike looks great as it is just take the tips into your next build 👍

On the positive side you have inspired me to build another bike kit it's been a few years since the last one time to start searching for another 🙂

spacer.png

Regards Andy 

Your build looks awesome... I love the way the caliper standout, and the sup[er decal job... nice work.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NicoT said:

Your build looks awesome... I love the way the caliper standout, and the sup[er decal job... nice work.

Thanks Nico, no clear coat on this one, no decal solutions infact I didn't have an airbrush either. The body parts were sprayed with Tamiya TS black from the can and everything else was brush painted. Now I use the airbrush for everything funny how times change 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, keefr22 said:

remove the seam line from the middle of the tyres

Nico / Keith - Not to hijack your thread, but how do you plan to remove that seam line?  Every time I try I tear up the tyre (tire)!  Sanding doesn't  remove the line and the knife always seems to nick the tire.  Anyone, tips and tricks?  Again, clean work.  Thanks for posting.

JCH

Edited by JCH
  • Like 1

I can only speak about car tyres, but I just sand the seam down with very course wet and dry paper - this also dulls down the surface of the tread, making it more realistic i.m.o.. I assume model bike tyres use the same material so should respond the same? @Andy Jhas removed them on bike tyres I think so he may know more...

Keith

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I can only speak about car tyres, but I just sand the seam down with very course wet and dry paper - this also dulls down the surface of the tread, making it more realistic i.m.o.. I assume model bike tyres use the same material so should respond the same? @Andy Jhas removed them on bike tyres I think so he may know more...

Keith

To remove the seam lines on bike and car tyres I fit a bolt into a power drill pack the bolt out with foam and tape to the size of the inside of the tyre set to low speed and using sandpaper/wet and dry paper carefully and gradually remove the seam. Not very technical I know but it works great and you can actually add more or less wear as you go. It's also much quicker than doing each one by hand . Hope this helps 

Regards Andy 

• Like 4

A superb bike build.  You said you had made mistakes, so I went looking for them.  Nope, we'll just haven to take your word for it because I couldn't see any.  Taking the seam off the tyre has been mentioned and it would be worth drilling out the holes in the disc brakes as appropriate.  That's s really tedious job but worth the time spent.  They're triv, that is a great model.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andy J said:

the bolt out with foam and tape to the size of the inside of the tyre

Andy - So I've got this straight... You are making a mandrel to mount the tyre?  You add material (sponge) to the bolt the diameter of the tyre.  You then fit the tyre to the sponge/bolt, fit the bolt to the drill, run the drill, and slowly/carefully remove material.  Sound right?  Thanks!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JCH said:

Andy - So I've got this straight... You are making a mandrel to mount the tyre?  You add material (sponge) to the bolt the diameter of the tyre.  You then fit the tyre to the sponge/bolt, fit the bolt to the drill, run the drill, and slowly/carefully remove material.  Sound right?  Thanks!!!

Yes exactly right 👍And remember to keep the mandrels for future use as most bike/car tyres are more or less the same size 

spacer.png

Not the best pic but this is the idea 

Regards Andy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1