LOCKDOWN No3 - MARDER III Ausf M

Hi John 

Thanks mate. I’ve come off this one for a bit. Had a hell of time on the Friul tracks.....nightmare to be honest. They’re not as beefy compared to German links and had issues drill the 0.5 hole. The. I had to sand the tip of each piece of wire smooth.......so after that I had a break on a Panzer IV.....😁

thanks again mate 👍

On 21/06/2020 at 10:05, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Darryl....how's things, and thanks :yes:.....as regards the camo', I did the green first then outlined it. Had some trouble with the dark brown, but realised I'd not thinned it enough. It was the same consistency as the green, and For some reason the brown behaved differently. Maybe because it was a mix of four colours and not a pure out of the bottle. I have a set of Friuls for the tracks....but still waiting for some new .5mm drills to come in to pre drill the pin holes. Should have them done by the end of next week, and into a blackening bath for the night......:D...

Thanks again chaps....have a good Sunday....

Regards

Simon.

Hi Simon, sorry to hear of your fruil issues.

I do find the quality of micro drills can be varied. Bought one set superb but broke the 0.3 bought a couple of individual replacements, from a different source, utter rubbish wouldn't "bite" at all. Bought another complete set, only a couple of quid more than the two individuals.

Must get the JP ones burnished, if only I had the time, along with everything else. Just realised I've 4 kits on the go all awaiting attention to a greater or lesser degree, so much for only having 2 on the go at once... problem is now deciding what to do to what !... At present my modelling opportunities come in approx 20min slots, ain't much time for anything paint related or involved. 

Great idea regarding the mud application to btw.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Simon, sorry to hear of your fruil issues.

I do find the quality of micro drills can be varied. Bought one set superb but broke the 0.3 bought a couple of individual replacements, from a different source, utter rubbish wouldn't "bite" at all. Bought another complete set, only a couple of quid more than the two individuals.

Must get the JP ones burnished, if only I had the time, along with everything else. Just realised I've 4 kits on the go all awaiting attention to a greater or lesser degree, so much for only having 2 on the go at once... problem is now deciding what to do to what !... At present my modelling opportunities come in approx 20min slots, ain't much time for anything paint related or involved. 

Great idea regarding the mud application to btw.

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl....not too much that couldn't be fixed, but tedious. I managed to picked up a ten pack of some nice 0.5mm on Ebay for £4 and free shipping....made by Draper.....a lot better than some cheap drill set I got from China a couple of years ago. They made it a lot easier to drill out the 436 holes to build them........:swear:

Sorry you don't have much time to get on the bench lately...........and as you mentioned your backlog, I took a look myself and count yourself lucky......10 here....all in differing stages; languishing in the cabinet.....and I'm tempted to kick off my first Tiger....:mental:

5 hours ago, Ernst said:

Stunning work, I love the camo and superb weathering.

Cheers,

Ernst.

Thanks Ernst, appreciate you popping by......

Cheers both :yes:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Morning all. I thought I'd start this build blog again as I have decided to build another as I wasn't happy with the outcome as regards the paint job. Same kit, the Tamiya Marder IIIM, but with the Aber PE set. Looking at the PE set's, the Aber looks more comprehensive than the Eduard, so hopefully a better outcome on the detail too.

235993-c-32809-12-pristine.png

An bit of an unusual blog, building the same thing twice I suppose........So, fingers crossed a better outcome than the first one. I'll let you be the judge for which one makes it to the display cabinet. I'll post progress up to a point as I have the bigger project of a panzer IV which I'll write up soon for a build blog.

Cheers all...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We are our own worst critics. What with this and the other one you've started, you're gonna have you're work cut out for you. Good luck with both builds Simon.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

We are our own worst critics. What with this and the other one you've started, you're gonna have you're work cut out for you. Good luck with both builds Simon.

John.

Cheers mate......:yes:....and yeah, a few projects looking at me to be finished from the cabinet. A few now waiting for paint, but I can't be bothered in setting up the booth etc and have to keep taking it apart. Planning soon a long painting period to finish a few up. This Marder I'll use as a breather project ion the Panzer IV get's a bit much......:think:

I had a similar experience with Tamiya's little Marder I. Pleased with both build and paint I then took the weathering steps too far. I never saw it at the time, even after some photography. But stepping back after starting a little base for it I soon recognised I probably overdid it. Looking forward to progress with your second build👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kelscale said:

I had a similar experience with Tamiya's little Marder I. Pleased with both build and paint I then took the weathering steps too far. I never saw it at the time, even after some photography. But stepping back after starting a little base for it I soon recognised I probably overdid it. Looking forward to progress with your second build👍

Hi Kel.....yes, it's when you take a closer look, especially when photographed you see the issues. I intend to try and build the set of Panzerjäger's so the Marder I is on the build list too in time. This will be a long burn on the build so hopefully by end of summer......:think: Once finished, the decision will be made to send the first one to the breakers yard......:worry:

• Like 1

The first Marder looked fantastic, but we can be our own worst critics.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the second one! 

Keith 😁

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Keeff said:

The first Marder looked fantastic, but we can be our own worst critics.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the second one! 

Keith 😁

Cheers Keith, appreciate that. There is another reason for deciding to go round again with mark two.....I had the PE set and no point in trying to sell it on Ebay, you never get the full worth.....so thought "hey, let's give another go around". Also if the first goes to the breakers yard, I have another use for the Pak 40.....my RSO needs it. Didn't like the Dragon quality of the breech block.

5 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Simon,

An impressive and overwhelming set of PEs...although you are more than capable of getting all the juice out of it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Cheers Francis,........:yes: should be a pleasant long build, although might have to take a back seat to new Border Panzer IV on it's way.

• Like 1