LOCKDOWN No3 - MARDER III Ausf M

On 6/1/2020 at 5:53 PM, Soeren said:

This base coat of dark yellow looks fantastic already. :thumbsup:

Thanks Soeren......hoping to post progress later this week......need to prepare myself for the weathering of the internal detail......:worry:

Cheers

Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all........lockdown slowly on it's way out, so getting all the modelling time in that I can. On and off various projects, but decided to concentrate on the interior of the Marder III today. Shells in the racks. Just main interior area next and then button it up and start the exterior and main 75mm.

IlAYZsl.jpg

Hopefully will be able to post a complete interior tomorrow.

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice work Simon, shells look really good, shiny!! :thumbsup:

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl.....they're the Tamiya brass for the Marder III......picked them up years ago. Came in handy in the end.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:50 PM, Hamden said:

Nice work on the interior Simon really coming to life now

Stay safe              Roger

On 6/13/2020 at 2:26 PM, Bullbasket said:

I was going to ask you what gold paint you'd used on the shells Simon, until I realised that they were brass. They do look good.

John.

THANKS BOTH....... and yes John, worth using them. Although at this point of the war steel case's were most probably to be seen.......some quartermaster found some old stock......:D...

• Like 5

Evening all....end of weekend progress update. Finished the main Dunkelgelb base coat and colour modulation.....that was a trial. I had to do it with the main gun out of it's mount, as that's been finished separately......and side wall's dry fitted.

It stands at the moment, with no filter or weathering, unlike the main gun......

7bQ5fYR.jpg

Next is the planning for the camo' scheme......highlight detail painting, decals and masked markings.

Cheers all......:yes:

• Like 9

Ho-hum....another run of the mill Dunklegelb paintjob!....:whistle:

Come on Simon, play fair knock out a duffer.....please!

Great work, as ever.....:thumbsup:

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Ho-hum....another run of the mill Dunklegelb paintjob!....:whistle:

Come on Simon, play fair knock out a duffer.....please!

Great work, as ever.....:thumbsup:

Darryl 

Cheers darryl........thanks mate. It's been a long one to do, as is the case with open fighting compartments. I think though you've done the same on your Jagdpanther. Really nice detailing and camo' on that one, I like the distinctive camo' schemes you've chosen.............. As regards the camo' on this one. I'm going for this ........only thing I'm going to do is warm up the Dunkelgelb a bit more with a transparent layer and then plunge into the green and brown outlines. Going to have to practice first on an old kit.

7I7Uaoi.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing this in its full war paint, are you going to mask and spray or hairy stick the pattern?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Looking forward to seeing this in its full war paint, are you going to mask and spray or hairy stick the pattern?

Hi Roger, I'll airbrush it on mate. It's not going to be easy as the overspray will be an issue. So very, very thin colour, on a less than 10psi......see how that performs. I'll have to do the gun, and side wall's off the main hull, and then finally glue in place then complete the rest of the camo' and match them to the main hull.......

• Like 1

Hi Simon, I remember doing the same scheme when I first got into afvs, didn't quite come out as advertised.....its still in the cabinet as a mark of progress, or sometimes lack of!

Sure you'll do it justice though.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Afternoon all....hope we are well. Just an interim post on progress. The camo' is done. Bit of a battle but learnt a lot. Had issues with the outline of the greens with the dark brown. If I did it again, I'd do some things different, but my first of this style of camo. Next one will be sharper. Applied a filter for three tone camo' and some pin lining here and there. I'll do chipping and paint weathering next.

H0lizK9.jpg

caw6fyk.jpg

0L3SIbi.jpg

apxhUYu.jpg

• Like 14

4 hours ago, robw_uk said:

oh wow, that camouflage scheme is superb.... very nice looking Marder

50 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice very very nice!

Stay safe         Roger

Cheer guys.......been a tough one to keep on track. Did some chipping and weathering today and started to add final tools etc. Decals are on too.....Maybe post again soon.

thanks again 👍

regards

Simon

HI ALL......update time......made some progress today. All chipping done, and final wash's and filters. Tools, general detail and decals on also.

Spent the rest of the day getting the mud on the chassis. One side done and the rear. One more side and the front to go once I have the spare track attached.

Shovel, cutters and crow bar on,

mTWI2Sq.jpg

I put a ranging pole on as additional equipment in with the gun cleaning rods, as I imagine in fixed positions in Normandy, it would be something they did to confirm range etc

Lirbrqv.jpg

J7rSZzT.jpg

Mud completed. The wheels will get their own mud in places done last prior to the final matt coat of varnish to seal everything in. The shine is a coat of Mig satin to seal the base coats prior to working.

UDfwFOM.jpg

Still need to add the fold down step on the rear and the convoy light. That'll go on after final matt coat.

nYMAGxp.jpg

Night all....

• Like 10

wow nice work as always. love the ranging pole....

what is your product of choice for the mud? the m3a1 is going to be a weathering testbed and after mud for starters

• Thanks 1

It's alright, perhaps put a little effort in next time.....:whistle:

:rofl2:

Tremendous work, as usual, always a joy to watch coming together.

Brown sprayed first then fill centre with green or green first?

What's the plan for the tracks? 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, robw_uk said:

wow nice work as always. love the ranging pole....

what is your product of choice for the mud? the m3a1 is going to be a weathering testbed and after mud for starters

Hi Rob....thanks mate. I used MIG pigments, sprinkled onto a thinned base of MIG acrylic resin. Started with concrete P026, then followed by European Dust P028 slightly lower down, then Dark Mud P033 and finally Russian Earth P034 dropping progressively to the bottom of the chassis. That very dark shade Russian Earth is going to have a coat of satin/gloss to be seen as a damp area of the mud at the bottom around the wheel mounts etc.

I took the wheels off to make it clearer.....

PgMq46S.jpg

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

It's alright, perhaps put a little effort in next time.....:whistle:

:rofl2:

Tremendous work, as usual, always a joy to watch coming together.

Brown sprayed first then fill centre with green or green first?

What's the plan for the tracks? 

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl....how's things, and thanks :yes:.....as regards the camo', I did the green first then outlined it. Had some trouble with the dark brown, but realised I'd not thinned it enough. It was the same consistency as the green, and For some reason the brown behaved differently. Maybe because it was a mix of four colours and not a pure out of the bottle. I have a set of Friuls for the tracks....but still waiting for some new .5mm drills to come in to pre drill the pin holes. Should have them done by the end of next week, and into a blackening bath for the night......:D...

Thanks again chaps....have a good Sunday....

Regards

Simon.

• Like 10