LOCKDOWN No3 - MARDER III Ausf M

Decided to kick off another build in these long lockdown day's of April, as I'm at the painting stage on many projects at present and need some time away from the spray booth...So....had this in the stash for some time with a PE fender set from Eduard, and tracks from Friul.

mbIoyp4.jpg

IAR5Dsy.jpg

Hopefully will post first build stage sometime this week.

Cheers

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 9

as always looking forward to the build. My own lockdown builds are progressing but, as I am working form home, dont get as much time as I would like 😉 Next up for me will be the Thunder Models Scammell Transporter

• Like 1

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to LOCKDOWN No3 - MARDER III Ausf M

Someone's busy, another one on the go!

It's a great kit, built one a few years go, unfortunately made a pig's ear of the paint job, imo, so it hides at the back. 

Be nice to see your take on it.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Someone's busy, another one on the go!

It's a great kit, built one a few years go, unfortunately made a pig's ear of the paint job, imo, so it hides at the back. 

Be nice to see your take on it.

Darryl 

Hi Darryl.....yeah, plenty projects started in these long day's of lockdown.....just about to start a Kursk Panther Ausf D.....but need to order the PE for it first.

This kit though as always being a Tamiya, is falling together. I was going to do a simple OOTB build with just fenders by Eduard. But once I got into it, I decided on getting some more PE, as I kept saying...."mmmm, let me see if I can rebuild that"........What prompted me was specifically to get the straps for the ammo racks, as I have the brass Tamiya shells).....which should be here later this week, and then I can plough on with it....... 

Here's where she stands at present....

VnSHqkN.jpg

eU79qz2.jpg

B6CPfjq.jpg

lEwdVL9.jpg

TLSChc9.jpg

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Out of the box my eye!!! I knew that you wouldn't be able to resist rewiring it. Nice work so fr.

John.

Cheers John....yeah, can't deny that.:coolio:.........well, I looked at my Grille and Wespe in the display cabinet, and thought, " I can't have him sitting there missing his bit's"..:D

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 9:27 PM, Jasper dog said:

Mmmmmmh, ditto John! :rofl:

Obviously demonstrates a good in depth knowledge of your subject and excellent reference material. :goodjob:

On 4/22/2020 at 9:21 AM, Hamden said:

Nice attention to detail as we've come to expect from your builds

Stay safe         Roger

Thanks gents......appreciate that:yes:. I discovered a really cool site where I managed to download loads of PDF's of research books, Panzer Tracts, Panzer Wrecks etc etc.....for free.....plus some really great Polish and Russian books with in some places better info than Panzer Tracts.....but, a big disaster this morning....:unamused:....I bought the worng upgrade set....I was needing the Eduard and accidentally bought the Aber. The Aber is more extensive than Eduard's.....so looks like an excuse to buy another Tamiya Marder M in the future....:D, to use it up.

I've located the Eduard set from a seller in Germany....so that'll be ordered today. So the Marder's on hold until it arrives....looking to move on with the Kursk Panther D....the PE should be in soon for that.

Thanks again chaps....:yes:

• Like 1

Very nice. I know what you mean. I often say, too: "This model will be OOTB in a few days, absolutely". Then, as always, my wip times go from months to years!

Anyway good choice, man. I hope to see the flak 38 version in next future 😉 .

I'll follow you with interest.

Ciao

Filippo

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Phil1960 said:

Very nice. I know what you mean. I often say, too: "This model will be OOTB in a few days, absolutely". Then, as always, my wip times go from months to years!

Anyway good choice, man. I hope to see the flak 38 version in next future 😉 .

I'll follow you with interest.

Ciao

Filippo

Thanks Filippo....:yes:....I might look to get the PE set's for the Dragon 38t Flak version soon. Maybe look to have that on next years list of builds...:D

Thanks again.....:yes:

Regards

Simon

• 1 month later...

Morning all....not had a lot of time to check the forum, but did managed to get some more done on this Marder. Been a bit of a slog, and can't say my slow decline in liking Eduard PE has changed. The fenders were not the best, but managed to get them on in the end.

The main PAK has little PE, except for an insert in the rear carriage and some brackets for the periscopes...

This is where we stand at present.

sCA8oEV.jpg

Some parts that are done will be added at the end like spare track bars etc.

ShWkxPX.jpg

The shell racks are partially fitted with the shell retaining straps as I'll add the rest on to the shells themselves. Still have to build a tarp cover for the three round unit on the left side.

yRIbTuB.jpg

If9xrmN.jpg

xh2BCI5.jpg

Well, off to get some more of the Friuls done....starting to be my least favourite track system.......:think:

Catch you all later......:yes:

Simon.

• Like 9

Hi Simon, looking really neat, must give this extensive etch work a crack, certainly adds a lot.:thumbsup:

If not Fruils then what?? (Just asking as I think I'll get some for the Jagdpanther, that's stalled because I can't get the enthusiasm for the kit supplied multipart affairs, any recommendations would be helpful).

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, Jasper dog said:

Hi Simon, looking really neat, must give this extensive etch work a crack, certainly adds a lot.:thumbsup:

If not Fruils then what?? (Just asking as I think I'll get some for the Jagdpanther, that's stalled because I can't get the enthusiasm for the kit supplied multipart affairs, any recommendations would be helpful).

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl, cheers mate. I find it the best part of modelling, the PE.

As regards tracks, what I really like is Easy Metal Links. The best for me though are R-Model.....but they aren't cheap. With Friuls, I find re-drilling a 0.4 mm pin hole a bit tedious. I have done a set of Masterclub, but had a few issues with resin pins breaking. I might try them again......then there's Modelkasten......I like them, and have a few sets to do. I'm doing MK for my Panther.

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

Nice work... Never tried after market tracks. Always too cheap for the extra expense 🧐

Hi Rob, cheers mate....for me now Friuls are at the bottom of the list......certainly try the above brands I mention. Maybe get them for a kit you really put a lot of work into, and buy them at the the end. Makes a big difference on the sag etc. The only kit supplied tracks you get that with is Dragon magic.

51 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Marder coming together nicely, looking forward to the next instalment

Stay safe        Roger

Thanks RogerWorked on the tools today, so hopefully will post later this week as I'm back on the Panther and trying to build a storage box on the rear in lead foil...:sad:

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice build Redcoat, I've got one of these in the Normandy boxing.

Hi Ozzy....thanks...:yes:, yeah saw one on Ebay the other night for sale. Tamiya did a nice job on the Marder III...........Tamiya kits are for me the best to do PE and scratch too. You getting the PE set for it?

Thanks all....

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Ozzy....thanks...:yes:, yeah saw one on Ebay the other night for sale. Tamiya did a nice job on the Marder III...........Tamiya kits are for me the best to do PE and scratch too. You getting the PE set for it?

I’ve got a bit of a lull in battle before the Battle of Britain GB starts, I may have a look at PE or may do out of the box. I’ve not decided yet? I could stretch to a PE set as I won the kit at a model show.

Afternoon everyone.......at last the lockdown begins to lift......and some progress on the Marder to post. 

Here's where she stood prior to the priming stage. There are some items still missing like the track bars on the front, and some minor detail like tool clamp details etc. Most of the tools have been scratch built in brass like the gun cleaning rods, shovel and pribar.

FfHjprY.jpg

AOIYJ37.jpg

All internal detail is ready to be primed as this has to be painted first and then on to final assembly.

3ZvYudI.jpg

The separate (grey) three round rack will be added at the final build, along with all the shells which will have the leather straps added as separate parts - rather than trying to tie the shells in at the end with them as part of the racks.

u2rqp25.jpg

Once primed the base coats were added to the main gun and the interior. This stage is the deep corner shadows in US Field Drab (Vallejo 873) in two tones, first neat 100% then same again for the real deep corner with a small drop of black grey (Vallejo 862).

9lLxpUL.jpg

HciGNxC.jpg

Once dry then on to the shade......Desert Yellow 977. This being to give a general tone and blend the dark corners etc out.

g0k41lG.jpg

This being AB'd from an above angle.

MXhKuK7.jpg

......and finally the standard high light of Dunkelgelb by Mig from their four colour modulation set. This being used for what it's for to highlight the detail and forward sitting detail.

wqh0c1D.jpg

I'm off to cut the lawn and do some other outside jobs and enjoy the weather....chat later..:yes:

Regards

Simon.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I'm off to cut the lawn and do some other outside jobs and enjoy the weather....chat later

Yes, I did the same this morning. Proper knackered me! Enjoy the weather 'cos it's going to change.

Nice work on the interior Simon, and also those tools.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes, I did the same this morning. Proper knackered me! Enjoy the weather 'cos it's going to change.

Nice work on the interior Simon, and also those tools.

John.

Cheers John......:yes:

....well, those outside chores are done, and back at the bench. Moving on to the wheels for a bit. Get them base coated and highlighted.....build myself up to the interior detail painting......and weathering.

Thanks again mate

Simon

• Like 1