Revell Arado 196 A3 1/32 decal options

coolhand

Hi guys

Decided my next build will be the above kit and although the decal options in the box look fine, I was wondering what after market options are available?  Would like to make a non German machine. I would particularly like to make a Finnish aircraft as I believe they operated this type. Does make a sheet with this option? 

Many thanks

Andy

Nice idea Andy. Perhaps 2 ideas to contribute here - I've had a quick search for you on-line (I'm sure you've already done this!) and the only pics of a Finnish example I can see are profiles from a Russian website. Now call me paranoid, but I'm sceptical of a profile that has the aircraft serial as 'Ar 196' without pictures. Hmmm...

That said, I can't find any decal sheets either. If you're firm about your marking choices perhaps using s 1/32 sheet for a Bf109 or Hurricane might get you there? Hannants have some 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=all_decals&code=&scale_id=953&keyword_search=Finnish&setPerPage=100&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

Sorry not to be more help

SD

I the book Suomen Ilmavoimien Historia 15 - Maritime Aiircraft by Keskinen,Stenman,Niska (UUSIKivipaino OY, 1995) on page 81 there is a photo of Arado 196 A2, codded (white) GA+DO (so on German marking) of Detachment Malinen at Konstiolahti in Sep 1943. It is said" The floatplans were leasded from Germany and flew with Finnish crews" . So, it looks that it was never painted in Finish markings, although the He 59 were also leased but painted in Finnish colours. Similar to Arado tests were conducted in 1943 with Sud-Est LeO 246 (also with German markings, photo os given

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

In addition to above:

Decals in 1/32 from corsair ship Admiral Hipper (a "fake French")

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FFSMC-Productions-Decals-1-32-Arado-196-Germans-french-nickname-/301905193817

On a Polish moddeler web page there was a discussion (https://pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4238) and despite published some profile and info about 2 Arados i Finland the conclusion is that of two tested Ar-196 one was returned to Germany and second stayed in Finland but in civilian   use with civil registration OH-PMK (German A3+AC previousley)

You may consider also Soviet (post war - they used till 1955) and ww2 Romanian and Bulgarian

regards

J-W

Hi

Thanks for the info, go given me lots of food for thought. Looks like the Finnish example is a no go. Think I might go for a Romanian example. 

Cheers

Andy

There was one in Bulgarian markings in a museum, some decades back.  It was said to be from a batch intended for Romania but didn't get there.  It may not have been the only batch, of course, but Romania is known to have operated He.114s.  I shall dig out a reference that may say more.

The Romanian publication Seaplanes Over The Black Sea has no mention of Romanian Arados.  Examples of SAG126 appeared over the Black Sea in 1941, and  in later years others were seen operated by SAG125, but these were Luftwaffe.  I had a fairly large collection of models for my Romanian sub-collection (some of which even got made, and others might yet) one of which was the Heller Arado, but I recall reluctantly moving it elsewhere.  I think it was to my son, who put the float system together then passed it back some years later when he left home.  It still awaits...  So does my vacform He114!

I don't know why the Rumanian Arados appear so often in profiles, presumably because of the sheer lack of colourful alternatives.  But it's another myth.

Edited by Graham Boak