armored76

Hey,

Please excuse this simple question but I'll have to ask :)

When painting airliners, would you say the glossy white is the better approach or a matt white (like a normal white primer) followed by a gloss coat? I would think, a glossy coat would make the paintwork look more uniform but I might be missing something here.

Also, I see many of you swear by spray cans when it comes to painting airliners but are there any good airbrush paints out-there for white, grey and the like?

Many thanks!

Cristian

• Like 1

Hi Cristian

Finishing a model inevitably involves personal preference and experience. There are very few "rights" and "wrongs", just what works for you and what doesn't. The only thing which matters is that you are happy with the final result

Personally I use Halfords Appliance white as my standard top coat (I'm sure there will be a German equivalent) but I decant it into my airbrush because spray cans only have two settings - off and on - and I like a bit more control. Many modellers get great results straight from the can but it's a skill which has eluded me so far. 

Once the Appliance White is fully cured (at least 48 hours) I use Micromesh polishing cloths to take the "edge" off the gloss. I usually start with 6000 grade and finish with 12000. I find that gives me a surface which is nice and smooth for decals but not so shiny that it looks silly and artificial.

Polishing white primer can be effective if you want an "eggshell" finish but it isn't a magic bullet. Personally I prefer to start with gloss and "work down" rather than "work up" from a flat finish but as always it's a matter of personal preference.

I don't generally apply a top clear coat to my models unless there is a specific reason to do so. I'm always wary of varnishes turning yellow and spoiling the white. I know there are many modellers who clear coat as a matter of course but I prefer not to.

There are many good paints, white and all the colours of the rainbow, available from Tamiya, Mr Color and other makers but they are all significantly more expensive than Halfords particularly if you factor in the cost of thinners. 

The best advice I can give is to experiment on a scrap model (or a cheap kit bought for the purpose) before tackling your masterpiece.

Hope that's some help

Dave G

• Like 7

That was of tremendous help, Dave! Thank you!

I tend towards using acrylic "modelling" paints as I have tried decanting spray cans in the past which ended up in a mess. However, there doesn't seem to be many option here apart from Revell's Gloss White. Would you have any other suggestions? The "stinky" paints are not an option, unfortunately.

Thank you!

I don't really use anything apart from the Halfords white so I'm probably not the best person to ask for a recommendation. For touching up and brush painting small areas I find Mr Color 1 Gloss White quite good but I've never airbrushed it.

If it's any help I decant my paint as follows. As well as your can of paint you need an empty airbrush paint jar with a lid, a small piece of kitchen foil, a drinking straw and some sellotape. Take the lid off the paint jar and cover the top of the jar with the foil. Punch a hole in the foil large enough to take the straw. Sellotape the straw over the nozzle of the spray can. Poke the open end of the straw through the hole in the foil and squirt. Once you have enough paint in the jar remove the foil and replace the lid but leave it loose. Let the paint sit for at least two hours until it is no longer forming tiny bubbles. Give it a little shake and if you can still see bubbles leave it a bit longer. After that you are ready to spray.

Dave G

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi there

I am a big fan of Revell white paint. The 1/72 Saturn V in the Space RFI section here on BM was painted with Revell white. The satin white is a very good undercoat to use before the gloss white, fewer coats are needed. If you start with the Revell gloss white from the beginning it needs so much thinner to flow though the air brush it is nearly see through. 

hope that helps

regards Toby

• Like 1

Hey I'm currently working on an Alitalia MD-80 and have recently applied the first white coat. I'm using thinned Vallejo Model Color gloss white. So far so good. It has a nice level of shine to it but not too much making it look out of scale.

Edited by Shashman
  • Like 1

I like Tamiya's Fine White Primer, decanted and airbrushed. When dry I buff it smooth with a microfiber cloth after sanding any imperfections (and I usually have a few) with 600-grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. After decals are applied and dry I spray a satin clear coat. To me a glossy finish on a model airliner is not very realistic.

• Like 1

Thank you all! This helps a lot with my decision.

I will probably try to decant some spray paint if I can get a hold of something similar here.

The hint with thinning Model Color paints might also be worth a try as I really like the (few) Vallejo paints I have.

As for Revell's white, I'm trying to switch over to other paint brands, currently plus I found their range to be quite inconsistent, with some colours behaving better than others. Then again, this is the only manufacturer sold in the shop I have easy access to so it really depends on how fast I'll need the colours.

I also have AK's white primer which I didn't like and a Life Color primer set which has a white in it. This set rendered great results in my recent builds but is also rather matt but I haven't used the white yet. Regarding the gloss, I really liked the results I achieved both on metallic and acrylics paint with AK's Intermediate Gauzy Agent Shine Enhancer so, this might be an alternative... but it stinks.

So many choices!!! :)

Edited by armored76

Another vote for Tamiya White Primer although I usually give it a top coat of Gloss White before the decals and a sealing coat of satin made up of Tamiya Gloss varnish with a bit of Flat Base in it. I've a model which is well over 20 years old and still white that was finished with Tamiya paint and varnish, airbrushed in those days, not rattle can. I've not tried Halfords, not been near one of their shops for years, so can't say anything about that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow.   I'm glad that I found this informative thread!

Since I can't airbrush enamel-based or lacquer-based  indoors, there an acryl /acqueous/ water-based alternative for gloss that people recommend?   

Previously, I've primed models with Tamiya sprays on the back patio before switching to Model Master Acryls for airbrushing indoors.  (I have experienced Model Master Acryls peeling away from the plastic or being extremely fragile if I haven't primed it lacquer first.)

Personally, I wouldn't spray any paint indoors without some sort of extract/filter and/or mask. I always use the back patio which often holds up projects for weeks waiting for a calm dry day.

The only water based paint I know of is Xtracrylix but that needs a lot of stirring to get the pigment into small enough lumps to go through my Badger 200 - mind you, that darn thing would clag up spraying pure thinners given half a chance. I have resorted to filtering some paints (Xtracrylix and Polly S) through a bit of nylon stocking but it tends to waste a lot of paint.

4 minutes ago, rossm said:

that needs a lot of stirring to get the pigment into small enough lumps to go through my Badger

I think I will have to report you to the RSPCA!

Have you not tried Vallejo's model air range for spraying? I've used their model colour with a brush and that is a good paint.

There is Revell 04 and 05 for matt and gloss white and Vallejo has a Model Color white, actually meant for brush painting but apparently people have been successful spraying it after some diluting it correspondingly.

Edited by armored76

14 hours ago, rossm said:

Personally, I wouldn't spray any paint indoors without some sort of extract/filter and/or mask. I always use the back patio which often holds up projects for weeks waiting for a calm dry day.

The only water based paint I know of is Xtracrylix but that needs a lot of stirring to get the pigment into small enough lumps to go through my Badger 200 - mind you, that darn thing would clag up spraying pure thinners given half a chance. I have resorted to filtering some paints (Xtracrylix and Polly S) through a bit of nylon stocking but it tends to waste a lot of paint.

Thanks to all for the useful information! 🙂

Actually I do have a brand-new extractor that I have yet to take out of the box.   Since my bedroom is/was also my model space, I hadn't done any modelling since the girlfriend/ fiance/ wife/ SWMBO moved in with me.   Current events have provided me with the excuse to be able to model in the bedroom.   Although I'm still been using the back-patio for priming with Tamiya Color spray cans, I will eventually need to break out the airbrush.   The choice to use water-based/ acrylics/ non-enamels/ non-lacquers with the extractor indoors is my effort to "preserve domestic tranquility".😇

Be safe, stay healthy and keep modelling!🖖

On 4/17/2020 at 11:58 AM, Ben Brown said:

Another vote for Tamiya white primer. It covers in fewer coats than gloss paint. It also makes a good base coat for Alclad. I prefer a satin finish on my airliners, too.

Ben

This!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another method I use is:

A couple coats of Tamiya matt white as a primer, followed by 2/3 solid coats of Tamiya Base white finished off with a a couple of light coats of Tamiya matt white.  I have found this gives a lovely smooth satin sheen.

Tommo.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

A couple coats of Tamiya matt white as a primer, followed by 2/3 solid coats of Tamiya Base white finished off with a a couple of light coats of Tamiya matt white.  I have found this gives a lovely smooth satin sheen.

Is that "glossy" enough for decals?

On 25/04/2020 at 07:32, Abandoned Project said:

Vallejo's model air range for spraying? I've used their model colour with a brush and that is a good paint.

Vallejo Model Air is nice but the colours are all off a bit... Their Medium Sea Grey is closer to Dark Sea Grey....

Edited by Adam Poultney

5 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Is that "glossy" enough for decals?

i will keep preaching this until I go to The Big Hobby Shop in the Sky: A gloss finish is ABSOLUTELY NOT required for decals; it is only necessary that the paint be SMOOTH. There is a difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

A gloss finish is ABSOLUTELY NOT required for decals; it is only necessary that the paint be SMOOTH. There is a difference.

Please note the inverted commas on the "glossy". I know what you mean about a smooth finish. When I spray brake shoes for relining at work I use primer on them and get a smooth finish, I've just never considered that to be smooth enough. Having said that, I am prepared to bow to superior knowledge.

• Like 1

I refer you to the best decalling tutorial there is: 

Please note that I am in no way connected with Paul Budzik, the creator of this video, other than as an admirer of his work and proponent of his techniques.