Tamiya Spitfire Mk1 Brian Carbury 603 Sqn RNZAF

Hi Chaps, 

I wasn't planning to join this Group build but with time on my hands during self isolation in Pattaya I've decided to dig this from the stash. The kit was a gift back in 2003 so it will be good to see it finished.  

Planned scheme is that of the famous Kiwi ace Brian Carbury from 603 squadron at Hornchurch during the Battle of Britain. The kit decals look a bit past their best. 

20200412_153153

Colin 

Edited by Colin W
Scheme decided
  • Like 5

Lots of modelling but no time to update the thread. Also focused on the Fairly Fulmar in the Navy group build. That's how i have done the wheels before finishing the interior. 

20200418_225558

Colin 

• Like 2

I have been neglecting this build to finish the Fulmar in the Navy group build. That's almost complete now so I can crack on with this. It'snot a particularly challenging build, only seat belts added to the cockpit. 

20200423_142816

Wings clipped into place without any gaps so a touch with extra thin glue and ready for a light sand.

Colin 

• Like 2

Thanks to @stevehnz I have decided to build this is the markings of Brian Carbury, RNZAF from 603 Squadron in the Battle of Britain.

Cockpoit completed and wings on. Very simple build this one.

20200423_215506

Colin

• Like 6

Well there's not much to do on this kit. I painted the under surfaces in Sky (26) and then upper surfaces in Brown (22) and green (330) using a B pattern. This was a new airframe in June 1940 so when Carbury became and ace on 31 August 1940 it would still have been quite tidy. I added some panel lightening and shading, chipping to the gun panels, entrance and maintenance screws.

I didn't have the decals so I had to print serials and codes. Serials were easy but the codes took 3 attempts, I finally had to print them onto white decal film and cut them out. This being the hardest part of the model! Other decals from the kit.

20200429_111934

All ready for matt coat and last details.

20200429_121550

Colin

• Like 10

Well done on your Mk.I Sir :thumbsup: ... Images of the Battle of Britain come to mind. One of my favorites is a had painted sign next to a bell. The sign reads. 
       “ Don't come and tell, Ring this bell like H**l !”

That image is and always has been one of the most iconic of the Battle to me. 

Dennis

PS- Sorry but I need to do this BTW
Tacka-Tacka-Tacka-Tacka ! 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

PS- Sorry but I need to do this BTW
Tacka-Tacka-Tacka-Tacka ! 😉

Don't we all?😁

• Like 1

Nicely done Colin, I've a soft spot for Carbury, obviously a damn good pilot as well as a fellow Kiwi, he got himself cashiered for, as I recall, passing dud cheques, at the height of his success. I'd have thought a loss of seniority & slap on the wrist could have solved it. Probably saved his life though I've not read of his subsequent history.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 3:56 PM, Colin W said:

Here she is now finished.

More pictures in the gallery

IMG_5705

IMG_5703

IMG_5694

IMG_5711

Thanks to Patrice for the moderation

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

Lovely Spitfire...however (if you haven’t noticed already), I think you still need to remove the masking on the rear section of the canopy? 

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1