lockheed U2 A/C cockpit collour....

roadrunner

I think you've run into the North American Aircraft Company's mystery green-blue, to be found on several of their  early jets, especially the B-45 Tornado. 

Ed

• Like 1

With all the caveats regarding color photos and film/filters, it reminds me of the interior greens used by Curtiss, Bell, and Northrop, that were all somewhere between interior green and dull dark green, Maybe Dana Bell or Robert Mikesh could shed some light on the subject.

Mike

19 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Hello,

some one can explain the blue-green colour in the NASM U-2C cockpit

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/lockheed-u-2c/nasm_A19820380000

I have some photos of a NASA U-2C under maintenance, with the seat and instrument panel out.  And it has the same colour scheme: all green down to the top longeron, grey below the top longeron. This includes the rear bulkhead. I recon that this is the standard Lockheed paint scheme for the U-2A/C cockpit.

Rob

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

I downloaded a small set of photos in 2010, but I did not make notes who made them. I made a zip that you can download here:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/various/u2maintenance.zip

Rob

Rob,

COOL photos, thanks for those. :thumbsup2:

Brings back memories, to see the "Goldenrod" wiring in the cockpit. At least, that's what we called it in the Photo-Sensor Shop.

Larry

2 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Rob,

COOL photos, thanks for those. :thumbsup2:

Brings back memories, to see the "Goldenrod" wiring in the cockpit. At least, that's what we called it in the Photo-Sensor Shop.

Larry

You're welcome! The color reminds me of polyimid tape, and I believe aircraft wiring was made from polyimid for a while.

Rob

There was something about those posted photos of  a U-2C with the green cockpit. I have the Sq Signal in Action and Aerofax No, 3 on the U-2 and neither mentions interior or cockpit colors. I did find two reference articles that stated that U-2 cockpits  were finished in FS36231, dark gull grey, and another two-part modeling article on building the U-2S with numerous color detail photos, by David W. Aungst on ClubHyper that stated that the U-2S cockpit was painted  FS36270, which is neutral grey.  I believe the posted photos were of  one of the two U-2C's bailed to NASA for research and were remanufactured and heavily modified-I don't recall any USAF or CIA U-2 having a green cockpit, just the two NASA aircraft.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text

2 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

There was something about those posted photos of  a U-2C with the green cockpit. I have the Sq Signal in Action and Aerofax No, 3 on the U-2 and neither mentions interior or cockpit colors. I did find two reference articles that stated that U-2 cockpits  were finished in FS36231, and another two-part modeling article on building the U-2S with numerous color detail photos, by David W. Aungst on ClubHyper that stated that the U-2S cockpit was painted dark gull grey, FS36270.  I believe the posted photos were of  one of the two U-2C's bailed to NASA for research and were remanufactured and heavily modified-I don't recall any USAF or CIA U-2 having a green cockpit, just the two NASA aircraft.

Recently someone pointed out that the Powers' wreck in Moscow shows the same green color (top longeron and above).  And maybe this one is green too?

u2-08.jpg

Rob