Airfix Stirling III

Hi folks,

I don't usually start build threads as I find it puts me under pressure.  However, I feel that this one may have to be the exception.

2020-04-14_07-36-31

Look at that Roy Cross artwork goodness!  I have wanted to make one of these for some time, but always chickened out.  Hopefully, starting this thread will keep me focused.

Here's the box contents.  Cool old style exploded view instructions:

2020-04-14_07-38-12

I am planning a few improvements, although nothing too extensive.  A few simple additions to the cockpit and turrets, some boxing in of the wheel wells, and some rivet reduction / rescribing are probably as far as I will go. 

The canopy fits well and has responded well to a bath in klear, but I'm a bit concerned about the ejector towers on the turret transparencies.  I will have to see what I can do to improve things there.

The rest of the kit I can live with, although there are some sink marks and pretty extensive warping of the wings and fuse halves.

2020-04-14_07-38-28

I have added the bomb bay roof to the upper fuse half in the picture above, and this has sorted the worst of the warping here.  You can also see I have primed the engines and cowlings; not the most detail in the world here, but adequate for my purposes.

I'll post more when I've made some progress with the interior.

Regards

Martin

• Like 25

Heather,

You'll be most welcome.  I have been following your Frankendornier Do-17P build and been most impressed with the work you've put in.

Regards

Martin

Man, this box cover art beams me straight back to childhood adventures. If these beasts wheren't so huge, I'd love to build a fleet. 

Anyway: I'm in! *headstothefridgeforsomecoldbeer*

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Got one waiting in line myself, I'm looking forward to seeing yours come together. Will the bomb trolleys be making an appearance?

If the build goes well.

29 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I too am up for this if extraterrestrials are welcome.

Martian 👽

Nobody in this thread is species-ist.  Please make yourself comfortable.

Regards

Martin

• Like 2

I’ll be pulling up a chair for this one.  I’ve got this and the Italeri Stirling I in the stash. I was named after my great uncle who was killed in a Stirling III in 1942 so this one will be one I want to get right.  Enjoy this one, It looks like an interesting kit.

Edited by Riksbar
  • Like 2

I, like others, have this same boxing. Will pull up a chair and use your work for reference if you don't mind :popcorn:.

P.S., I'm not really a popcorn fan, choccy's my thing.

Davey.

• Like 1

Nice!

I built one as a kid so this brings back many memories. Not my era now, but that doesn't rule out building one at some point for nostalgia's sake.

Ian

• Like 1

One of my favourite childhood memories is getting this kit for Christmas in perhaps 1974. Like others here, I'm both nostalgic about this kit (and that artwork!) and have a couple in my stash. Watching! :like:

SD

• Like 3

Yep, I'm also in here for that golden oldie.  Very nostaglic and memories come to play. My old model shop in the 70'as a kid, watching at those pictures in the 14. edition Airfix catalogue, the smell of UHU plast, old Revll paints etc and on and on....

Cheers

• Like 3

I think I've missed out on all the seats, but I'll skype in...

Very nostalgic kit! The Italeri may come with photoetch, but Airfix comes with a David Brown tractor!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wow!  There are a lot of you crammed in here.   I hope we're all keeping 2m apart . . .

Well, thanks for showing your interest.  I'll try to do the kit justice!  More soon.

Regards

Martin

And after an enjoyable half-an-hour, we have this:

2020-04-15_08-27-39

The framing is straight, although it doesn't look it.  The windows in the nose will be glazed with Krystal klear.  The front one will be blocked off for a Mk III.

You can see I have started fashioning a flak curtain behind the front turret.  

I have started playing with the flight deck, adding a rear wall to the right rear.  (I made a bit of a boo boo, enlarging the hole for the pilot's control column to take a seat.  Hole now plugged with stretched sprue).  More to be done on the deck and the seats in due course.

I think I have an old Airfix Lanc mid-upper turret somewhere.  Wonder if it'd fit . .  ?

• Like 8