The underrepresented one - Special Hobby - Clive Caldwell's Mk.Vc

Huh.

Fancy that, no Mk.Vc in sight as of yet! That'll not do, so as a secondary I'll add this Special Hobby Mk.Vc box to the mix.

y4mocYz1IEwKo8aboVge3iif3LKle3IP2nj3YIxS

The subject of choice will be Clive Caldwell's BS295 from the box.
The leading Australian air ace of World War II, officially credited with shooting down 28.5 enemy aircraft in over 300 operational sorties.
Caldwell flew Curtiss P-40 Tomahawks and Kittyhawks in the North African Campaign and Spitfires in the South West Pacific Theatre. He was the highest-scoring P-40 pilot from any air force and the highest-scoring Allied pilot in North Africa.

His military service ended in controversy, when he resigned in protest at the misuse of Australian First Tactical Air Force's fighter units and was later court martialed and convicted for trading liquor.*

*Left largely to their own devices as so many fighting men in the SWPT, trading booze for parts was 'part of the job' for many.

During their assignment in Morotai (NEI), they got the short stick and Caldwell together with others resigned in protest at being bypassed.
The booze trade court-martial was later attributed by the Daily Telegraph as a form of retribution.

Edited by alt-92
links added
  • Like 8

Sprue shots:
y4msSZmzgoGIMfQ1nf5iufmqU7Ty_FmQuhKekSlg

y4mFElEcFndtJYRMf0e5pvP7N3UvtCohDFawnqAw

slightly rough around the edges, but the kit comes with an expansive decal set for 5 versions, and also contains resin parts (among which is an Aboukir style air filter!) and some PE.

For the colour scheme, there is only one choice  for Acrylics for Foliage Green and Earth Brown.

And I need these anyway, there's a Boomerang somewhere in the stash ;) 

y4m3gvjIBptJA9_rho97LHva4ZZXIPVGP2yONk7Z

• Like 6

Not at all. 
Pace may be a bit reduced though, the parts for the Four Seasons are coming in this week and I need to get started on those as well.

• Thanks 1

Great subject, mind if I pull up a seat too? 

If you haven't build one of these, can I offer some of my findings with this kit? It is IMHO a bit over engineered, but on the up side, lots of nice detail. It is one of the few kits that attempts to replicate the lapped panels on the fuselage. I found EVERY part needed to be cleaned up due to flash, but the plastic is quite soft so not hard, just time consuming when all you want to do is build (!). There isn't a lot of positive locating for the main parts so I used a lot of Tamiya masking tape to hold assemblies while glue set. I also used small tabs of plastic card to help locate the wing upper surfaces to the fuselage wing root - this helps ensure surfaces match. I think I may have used these tabs on the fuselage too. From memory, the sliding canopy didn't sit too well in the open position and I used a vac form replacement. I installed the undercarriage after assembling and painting the aircraft - it needs a bit of wangling but will fit, make sure you open the locating hole for the locating pin on the arm and clean the flash off the locating pins. It is very much a 'check fit before gluing' kit but I like the finished result. 

PR

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 11:47 PM, Peter Roberts said:

It is very much a 'check fit before gluing' kit but I like the finished result. 

Done more 'shorter run' kits that share that tendency - it's not a Tamiya shake & bake and that's fine with me.

Kinda therapeutical actually...

Finally found the time and mojo after a busy week WFH to start - been dealing with a splitting headache in the evenings earlier this week, probably due to a less than optimal setup as I'm working in the living room and the initial monitor placement meant it reflected a lot of daylight.

That's changed now, no more headaches from squinting against the glare.

So into the bits we go!
y4meRskusiL2-0RlBZxNS64S2jmBRstiwnF_9-wq

Interiors applied, small bits loosened....

And seat & armour plating done. Also drilled out the lightening holes in the frame.

y4mA5zhtJOBSGlJUu306SHPunnVAUWLB3swWn0l5

Ready for a sealing coat, decal & oil wash.

More tomorrow.

• Like 5

I am doing this kit as well during lock down. The one thing that fixed the bad fit for the cockpit tub is just cutting the sides in two at the rear so the rear bulkhead fits in. I have test fitted it and this appears to solve the issue without the need to cut the section for the front bulkhead.

file.php?id=19768

• Like 7

Thanks for the warning :) I did several dryfit sessions, and thinned down the rear sidewalls already before attaching them at that point.

You really have to be careful and do plenty of fiddling as @Peter Roberts said.

Keeping the locating 'grooves' free of paint and additionally a crape & sanding stick pass on the frame seems to work as well.

• Like 1

Not that much done today, spent most time outside in the sunshine, reading a bit and looking up reference stuff.

One of the detail parts that stuck me as wrong in the kit is the undercarriage lever system, it's in the Up position.

Scalpel fixed that.

y4m2V2I1XyeY3sxuj23aC8zlAl1EPn_lDl376JYW

Besides that, it's decidedly empty in there.. maybe some scratch work is in order here.

Did do some PE parts, and of course the seatbelts - complete with passthrough slot. 

y4mrnbgEn6bFOCKDbkyuKGVybDNZoNZimUe9VJbL

There's some thin wire in the toolbox to attach it to the rear frame later on.

• Like 10

Working IT has its advantages.
Stripped a bit of Cat5E cabling and used it to detail up the office.

- cable boom from U/C selector

- piping through IP frame

- leftover PE bits bended & folded on Stbd side

- single strand of copper wire from the roundy thingy above the throttle quadrant

- very light oil wash (it's there, trust me)

General fettling and meddling to ensure everything still fits, which it does. Seat in place, IP decal freshly added. 
Just waiting till that's dry to add the pedals & control column and close up.

y4mFdZuGFn5gc_cuoIjrGusXjtvybQkSPZEa1ehK

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 8

Final check on all the PE bits before closing up revealed one rather essential bit missing in the cockpit.

No compass?

More scratchbuilding with spare bits & sprue... 

y4mJalZEAwogDVIfHfSor4mUeGUWxOMU5LhbM-IX

• Like 7

Progress!

Fuse closed up. A bit of a seam on the front, but some putty & sanding will sort that out.

y4mj3mptN-6wGz-kXRWh-_8KG3qhDOmbEMH7YJCG

Meanwhile, the internals are still visible, well pleased with that. 
Managed to scratch-add the radio box and compass (Ok, barely visible, but it should be in there).

y4m5W2jvQE7bgZA3lS4Jn9PtG3jXWKfuwfipKZfd

y4mmCbtbzMh1gBR_7iI2zT1CuQf9xNPakKnsFvLg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not forgotten, just a bit busy. 

Seam & step gone, rescribe on the panel lines.

y4m0wGE3p_uKNbwcnojqtL5ecDKUh5Z0nUU2K3Kh

Started on the wing assembly, but nearly FUBAR'd the cannon cover with a nice, fat juicy TET fingerprint.

I've managed to get rid of the evidence though.

y4m6V7eaZ1KB1EmsfvQymcUh6LcPniZxCGgvzky3

• Like 2