Lockdown Meals

BIG X

Well I've been summoned back into work unfortunately - so zero time for viewing the forum today - but look what was waiting on my return...

IMG-7043.jpg

The full English Breakfast - for tea - something that is only usually reserved for my Birthday...

2 Eggs / 2 Bacon / 2 Sausage / 2 Black Pudding / 2 Fried bread + Plum Tomatoes OH & 4 rounds of buttered bread - I'm lay on the sofa now - STUFFED!!!

• Like 8

We've just had similar, toast instead of fried, but adding hash browns to the mix  - Made a change from our usual evening fare. 

Also stuffed....

IanJ 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

What do you mean by "a" Portobello mushroom??? :lol:  Sounds lovely :goodjob:  we need more though :)

A Portobello mushroom, I think it's also called a Chestnut mushroom. Big open cup mushroom the size of your fist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rayprit said:

Fried spam sandwiches

My thirteen year old is an absolute fan. I think he's reincarnated from the 1940s. 

I'm very lucky to have a craft butcher literally in sight of my house. Those guys have everything and will acquire anything. They have veg and sauces and mixes. Plus they are chatty and full of advice. 

If you could choose a place to socially isolated this is the place. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, noelh said:

I'm very lucky to have a craft butcher literally in sight of my house.

You are indeed. Give them as much support as you can, and encourage others to do likewise - they're a dying breed, and we can't afford to be without them. I had one in Sydney - a Frenchman, and an absolute gem.

• Like 3

Well it's been another hard day at work - followed by an excellent tea to come home to...

IMG-7046.jpg

… a lovely fresh chicken salad with a few crinkle cut chips - NICE ONE!!!

I hope everyone is doing OK - keep the faith & keep smiling - Steve :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Nice lunch of poached eggs on Harissa potatoes 

49805463841_34f1cfd059_b.jpg

WOW - that does look a bit special - I'm back at work so it was Corned Beef & white onion muffins - nice...

...but not a patch on that!!!   Well done!!!

• Thanks 1

Well I don't know if everyone has stopped eating or whether this thread has run it's course -but for tea tonight...

IMG-7047.jpg

Do you know the old joke about the inept zoo keeper - I'll recite it in a moment - but may I firstly present - "Finch Chimps & Mushy Bees"...

A man got a job as a zookeeper, on his first day at the zoo he was walking past the aviary when he saw a beautiful finch.

He reached into the cage and caught the bird to give it a stroke. Unfortunately he squeezed too hard and killed the bird.

In a panic he threw the dead bird into the lions cage to get rid of the evidence.

As he was walking away he accidentally knocked over the Bee hive exhibit. The hive crashed to the ground and the bees began to swarm out.

In a panic he stomped all over the hive and killed the bees then threw the lot over the wall into the lions cage.

As he walked past the Monkey cage he turned to see all the monkeys taking the Mickey out of him.

He flew into a rage and entered the monkey cage and punched the first monkey he saw, killing him outright.

In a panic now he also threw the monkey's body over into the lions cage.

The next day the zoo introduced a new lion to the lion enclosure.

The lion walked up to the leader of the pack an old and wise lion and said "Hi mate, I'm new, just got here from Africa, what's this place like then?"

"It's all right here mate" said the old lion.

"What's the food like then?" said the newcomer.

"Not too bad" said the old lion "Last night I had finch, chimps and mushy bees!"

an "oldy but goldy" :lol:

Bon Appetite as they say in Bromley...

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The last two nights din dins from one of those freaky veggies.

Tuesday: Stuffed roast pepper with potato, onion and cheese bake and salad. We usually have a nice spicy rice in the pepper, but don't have any at the moment and had to use Thai black rice (won't use it again as it hardly any flavour). The salad wasn't as good as normal because apparently something is happening that interfering with the interestingness of my food. No one tells me anything.

Din+Dins+1.JPG

Wednesday: Half a cheese and green bits quiche, cubed potatoes and veg (broccoli, tomato, parsnip, carrot and onion) roasted in a garlic olive oil.

Din+Dins+2.JPG

Now I need to get over the shame that I've succumbed to taking photos of my food.

The one thing that has changed is that Mrs Gorby is trying to make the lockdown more bearable for my by making chocolate cakes and rice pudding etc. I did consider telling her that I haven't really noticed that my life is any different to normal, but my stomach vetoed it. :eat:

• Like 5

On 4/20/2020 at 7:46 PM, BIG X said:

The full English Breakfast - for tea - something that is only usually reserved for my Birthday...

And, with today being my Birthday, it had to be done. Very nice too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Made a big batch of veg escabeche last weekend. This is a quick refrigerator pickle of sliced raw carrots, cauliflower, radishes, poblanos, jalapeños, red onion, garlic, and oregano. 

escabeche.jpg

Also some onion soup au gratin. The key is to let a slow cooker caramelize the onions for you. Depending on the size of the cooker, 12 to 24 hours of benign neglect will reduce a crock full of sliced onions to a cup or two of rich brown oniony goodness.

onionsoup3.jpg

• Like 8

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 18:55, Pete in Lincs said:

And, with today being my Birthday, it had to be done. Very nice too.

Happy Birthday for yesterday Pete.  With my 'underlying conditions' - (which basically means being a fat bastinado) I shouldn't being a full breakfast at anytime - so my guilty pleasure is a proper FULL breakfast on my birthday - with literally everything you can think of.  It's only one day a year & if it kills me I'll die happy :lol:

Steve

• Haha 2

I want to have a word with someone about the tomato distribution on my pizza. :shrug:

Pizza.JPG

Haven't they heard of social distancing?

PS. Before the Italians declare war for me describing the monstrosity shown above as a 'pizza', I add a load more fresh ingredients to it to make it half way presentable.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

PS. Before the Italians declare war for me describing the monstrosity shown above as a 'pizza', I add a load more fresh ingredients to it to make it half way presentable.

Nice one Mark. I like the colours that you've sprayed it in, and the weathering is superb.

John.

• Haha 6

tads0gvsx2a.jpg

Yes, we have hand-made cookies:

20200425-152351.jpg

20200425-152416.jpg

Respectfully, your dark side,  from the "Stalino People’s Republic".

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

P.S. Cookies baked daughter, edible balls inside the cookies roll freely!

Edited by Aardvark
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Gorby said:

How radioactive is the green stuff Serge? ☢️ :worry:  ☢️

I don’t know, the arrow of my Geiger counter froze for a long time at the maximum, I think nothing serious, it’s just that my need to replace the old batteries in the device!

😉😆

Don’t worry, there’s nothing to emit radioactivity in cookies, because 

this is just polonium caramel, and the taste also is almost not felt radioactivity, probably the effect of edible balls of weapons-grade plutonium.

😉🤗😁

By the way, one  this cookie for the atomic engine of an Imperial Destroyer-class star ship is enough to make the transition to hyperspace and be on the other side of the Universe!

😉😁😎

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Gorby said:

More than just Italians. :fight:

But, in the present circumstances, we need to Make Do.

• Haha 3