1/72nd Dornier Do17P, aka FrankenDornier

Dornier Do17P, 3rd Staffel, I Gruppe, Fernaufklärungsgruppe 22, April and May 1940

We are, perhaps, more familiar with the Do17Z series aircraft, with the characteristic large greenhouse canopy over the cockpit area, but the Luftwaffe continued to use earlier variants of the type well into the Second World War. While effectively relegated from frontline duties after the invasion of Poland and the outbreak of war in 1939, the older planes saw service in reconnaissance, meteorological flights and training duties. The subject of this model, the Do17P, represents the long range photo reconnaissance type, and as such finds a place in my 1940 obsession collection.

There are kits of the Do17P and M series aircraft available from RS Models. Being from the awkward squad, and having acquired a second-hand boxing of Airfix's venerable Do17E/F a while back and still having the remains of a Revell Do17Z kit stashed away, my mind wondered how hard it would be to combine the two and get what I really wanted. The Revell kit would donate the wings and engines - and subsequently the tailplane as well - while Airfix's none-too-shabby fuselage would give the characteristic Flying Pencil outline. 

After some head scratching, comparison with drawings and photos, and a bit of a think, the challenge was accepted. I reckon it could be made to work, and the WIP thread is linked to below. Enjoy the false starts, errors, and final triumph in all its glory!

So, to the pictures.

49773374981_050fba7a68_b.jpg

49773375191_2b212f075d_b.jpg

49772844753_3b7d643662_b.jpg

49772845033_da9277edf5_b.jpg

49772845378_2ebf7d30ed_b.jpg

49772845758_d1419f13d0_b.jpg

49773376866_b507348dce_b.jpg

49772846383_002b72fd1d_b.jpg

The Airfix kit's transparencies had been short shot, so I had to source the Falcon vacuum-formed set. I got a pair of resin wheels meant for the Do17Z, so a little larger than they ought to be, from Kora, and a PE upgrade set for the Airfix kit from Extra Tech. The latter chiefly gave me the cockpit details, plus loop and "towel rail" antennae. Painting began with Humbrol acrylics, but ended with Hannants' Xtracrylix. Transfers were a hodgepodge from the original Revell boxing, spares in my files, Xtradecal swastikas, and a neat bodge using RAF interwar code letters to give the unit markings. 

As ever, my finishing let me down. I couldn't get the Falcon transparencies under the nose to sit neatly at all. On the whole, though, I am pleased my cross-kit adventure worked out fairly well. It looks like a Flying Pencil, and will sit in my Luftwaffe section happily as an unusual type that isn't often seen. I might eventually source a "proper" Do17M or P kit, but we'll see.

The rather lengthy WIP thread is here:

Edited by Heather Kay
RS, not Valom!
  • Like 37

Very nice result of rather massive conversion. Congrats!

I like your very realistic angles of taking photos.

I have personal experience with conversions of Do 17 - some years ago I did from Monogram 17z the 215. It was before the 215 was available by ICM... If you dig a bit out it was on RFI.  Small correction to your info - the models of M, P and K variants of Do 17 are from RS not Valom.

All the best

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quid100 said:

Very nice. 

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely conversion, excellent modelling !

Thanks both!

10 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's some excellent plastic surgery Heather.

Ta. The only negative is the nacelles should be narrower. That was a step too far for my skills.

7 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice result of rather massive conversion. Congrats!

I like your very realistic angles of taking photos.

I have personal experience with conversions of Do 17 - some years ago I did from Monogram 17z the 215. It was before the 215 was available by ICM... If you dig a bit out it was on RFI.  Small correction to your info - the models of M, P and K variants of Do 17 are from RS not Valom.

Well spotted, JW! I’ll correct my post. I suppose I should consider a 215 for my collection, though there weren’t all that many in Luftwaffe service. They were an export order that was diverted to the Luftwaffe after the war broke out.

For the photography today in broke out my big camera. Usually, I’m happy with my iPad, but I felt it was about time I used my DSLR properly for a change. Totally different techniques needed, so I was busily trying to remember how to do miniature shots!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TonyW said:

I'm impressed with the ring sight on the MG!

:coolio:

The Extra Tech PE sheet had several, intended for the regular planes that had three or four guns. It took some patience and a steady hand to get it in place, I can say. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good to see this get done Heather.  It has come out very nicely. Your effort was worth while.

Thanks Greg!

49780027958_e0f6a8a937_b.jpg

The missing pitot tube is now fitted. A concoction of fine brass tube and wire, beaten to flatten slightly, then filed to roughly the right shape. Back in the cabinet!

• Like 2

Heather, I said it during the WIP and I'll say it now. This is a fantastic and exceptional finished product.Especially when you consider it is a combination of two different kits from two different manufacturers. You have shown several techinques that I want to try in the future. Can't wait to see what new adventures you will regale us with next.

• Like 1