Weathering of older models

Vaastav

After the success in weathering the m10, I felt why not weather (and repaint) some of the models I made when I was starting out. 

For now there are 3 models, the T 62, Stug IV and T34/76. I plan to start off with the T 62 and work forward. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Have found an interesting scheme for the T 62 to be painted in:

f6a0d525-8df4-4907-8cd2-b5aecf6a218e.jpg

Please give views. Because I am sure the desert would warrant a different type of weathering.

3 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Any advice for soviet tanks? What should I repaint the T 62 in? Etc

On my screen the T-62 looks about right in the colour you have now. Photographs of Russian vehicle parks show a vast array of shades even on the same type of vehicle, so I would just try a bit of light weathering on that one.

The T-34 is a bit dark for me. That looks to be a mid war version from the metal wheels and turret hatches so should be in overall 4BO which causes all kinds of discussion as to the correct shade :D Have a quick look here for an excellent starter http://www.4bogreen.com/colors

Andy

Hi Vaastav,

Good choice to repaint older models, this way you get more 'mileage' out of them. I do it quite often. I strip models I'm not satisfied with (anymore) with oven cleaner. Isopropyl/isopropanol alcohol does the same job, that even strips lacquer primer. Be careful though, oven cleaner is nasty stuff, I wear gloves doing this and when done I put it in a plastic box with a lid on it an leave it overnight. Next day I rinse it with water and a stiff brush. Small parts might fall off bottom well as any PE so I keep it in the plastic box so it doesn't go down the sink. This method works with vallejo, tamiya and ak real color paint, probably many other paints too but not with 'ammo of mig' paints. Maybe that needs longer time. I don't know if oven cleaner works on enamel paints. What paints do you use?

I've read countless of threads about "what is russian green" and often times you'll up with a link to a tank graveyard with numerous shades of green and a comment such as "pick the right colour". Most paint manufacturers have sets of russian green colours so choose your brand or mix it yourself from colours that you already have. Tamiya nato green is often used either directly or mixed with some others. I believe humbrol 86 is used too. So what colours/brands do you have in the stash? And what is your objective? You might as well paint it in Syrian or Egyptan colours from the yom kippur war.

Cheers,

Ernst

5 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

On my screen the T-62 looks about right in the colour you have now. Photographs of Russian vehicle parks show a vast array of shades even on the same type of vehicle, so I would just try a bit of light weathering on that one.

The T-34 is a bit dark for me. That looks to be a mid war version from the metal wheels and turret hatches so should be in overall 4BO which causes all kinds of discussion as to the correct shade :D Have a quick look here for an excellent starter http://www.4bogreen.com/colors

Andy

Thank you Andy. Since it is the right ish shade of green, I will just stick to the weathering bit.

The T 34 will be tackled later, thank you for the link.

5 minutes ago, Ernst said:

Hi Vaastav,

Good choice to repaint older models, this way you get more 'mileage' out of them. I do it quite often. I strip models I'm not satisfied with (anymore) with oven cleaner. Isopropyl/isopropanol alcohol does the same job, that even strips lacquer primer. Be careful though, oven cleaner is nasty stuff, I wear gloves doing this and when done I put it in a plastic box with a lid on it an leave it overnight. Next day I rinse it with water and a stiff brush. Small parts might fall off bottom well as any PE so I keep it in the plastic box so it doesn't go down the sink. This method works with vallejo, tamiya and ak real color paint, probably many other paints too but not with 'ammo of mig' paints. Maybe that needs longer time. I don't know if oven cleaner works on enamel paints. What paints do you use?

I've read countless of threads about "what is russian green" and often times you'll up with a link to a tank graveyard with numerous shades of green and a comment such as "pick the right colour". Most paint manufacturers have sets of russian green colours so choose your brand or mix it yourself from colours that you already have. Tamiya nato green is often used either directly or mixed with some others. I believe humbrol 86 is used too. So what colours/brands do you have in the stash? And what is your objective? You might as well paint it in Syrian or Egyptan colours from the yom kippur war.

Cheers,

Ernst

I used Camlin artists acrylics, because at the time modelling paints were far too expensive for me.

I have Vallejo, Humbrol, Camlin and AK in the stash.

Will try your method of stripping.

Great thanks.

Ivor

Vaastav, 

I find the main thing with weathering is (and I urge to say this is learnt from modellers far better than I) not what the vehicle paint scheme is but where it is likely to be operating. 

Your very nice T62 for example- If it's depicting one of the Tanks that served in Afghan then lots of dust and chipping due to sandy wind. The entire vehicle would take on a almost desert-tan appearance. However if its one of the T62s that fought in Chechnya its the opposite; lots of mud, very wet and cold. The tank would be mainly clean on the sides (due to rain) but with pools of dirty water and mud stains in the horizontal areas where it cannot escape.

Hopefully that has put ideas in place!   

Dear all.

Modelling will be off for a week or so because my modelling room is being used as a godown for food items to be donated to the poor by our family.

Please bear with me.

• Like 3

Today I managed to weather one track, modify the turret and find a way to make the tracks sag like they do in Soviet tanks. 

spacer.png

The tracks are held in place by tacks. 

spacer.png

I think it looks good enough. Please do tell me if anything is off. 

I decided to make a Chechen war tank, so, lots of track links etc. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Please do give your views etc, as they are very helpful. 

Stay safe

• Like 1

The T 62 is done (I think)

Gurus please tell me if I have missed anything.

resized_edcf5dc8-f7f6-492c-990f-ab0d756f

resized_67a7ab00-dab3-490f-b828-f14891f4

resized_b22988ca-cea7-4ddd-9f3b-48b0677f

resized_967a7bc2-30c1-4aff-b4a4-c350488e

Next in line is the T34/76, so please advise me on what to paint it etc.

Stay in, Stay Safe.

Edited by Vaastav
Grammar
  • Like 2

Nice job Vaastav. A small suggestion would be lessen the rust effect on the spare tracks. A bit of a lighter touch so to speak. Otherwise looks good. The battle damage works giving it a nice battered, well used effect.👍

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Nice job Vaastav. A small suggestion would be lessen the rust effect on the spare tracks. A bit of a lighter touch so to speak. Otherwise looks good. The battle damage works giving it a nice battered, well used effect.👍

Ok will do. Thanks for the tip

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I'd echo what Stef said about the tracks. About the only thing that would show rust on them would be the pins. Apart from that, it looks good.

John.

I will tone down the rust. 

Any ideas what to paint the T 34 (I am thinking Humbrol 252 or 253)

3 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Any ideas what to paint the T 34 (I am thinking Humbrol 252 or 253)

Not an expert on Russian armour, but I know that their green was referred to as 4BO. I think that some of the paint manufacturers produce that one, but I don't know which one.

John.

Edit; I think that Vallejo do it.

Ok update time.

Thank you John(@Bullbasket) for the color reference, but unfortunately in India modelling paints are hard to get at the best of times, and this not being one of them, so not possible. I painted the T 34 Humbrol 252 which I do have, and it looks good. 

I also made a tank rider with a PPS 43 and captured MG 42. Please do tell me your views on the figure, as figures are not my strong point. 

Anyhow that is enough babbling from me, let the pictures talk.. 

spacer.png

The metal finish looks good to me, considering how it was only made with a pencil... Please give views here as well. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay inside, stay safe and model away

• Like 1

I think you made a good choice for the green, it's not too dark and a nice olive. When it comes to weathering remember the armour plate is brown not silver and takes a long time to show rust, but those fuel tanks and the exhausts and things would have been 'silver' when new and rust quite quickly.

Looking forward to the next stage.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Some weathering has been done now. In made the engine deck's paint scuffed and worn down where tank rider's boots would wear down the paint. 

spacer.png

The rear was rusted under the bolts, because that place gets quite rusty as I have seen. 

spacer.png

The entire upper hull. 

spacer.png

Please do give feedback and criticism. 

Stay safe. 

• Like 4

Looking good, especially the worn engine deck  and the exhausts. The only thing I would do now is give the mesh screens at the back of the hull a wash of black to give them some depth. 

Andy

• Like 1

Wheels and tracks are done, as well as the final for the upper hull. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Please give feedback and criticism. Stay safe

• Like 2

The T-34/76 is now officially done.

Please do tell me if I have missed out on anything (except a political commissar in the background threatening to shoot retreaters, we don't do that here)

spacer.png

Look, a German....

spacer.png

resized_76d4324e-792c-4311-825a-9eb77433

resized_54ed0d0b-d262-4ae1-9e4d-c383f131

• Like 3