Is there a personal gallery section anywhere in the forums?

Hi, I just wondered if there was any area within the forum where we can just post a few photos of each of our own completed builds in order to build up a personal gallery? Apologies if there is but I haven't been able to find such an area. I can see that there is a "see my activity" under a member's profile page, but that will include all postings. If you're viewing or following a member's RFI or WIP it would be great to see what else they had completed. It's also a good place to keep track of all the completed builds that you've posted. 

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, t15dja said:

"see my activity" under a member's profile page,

If you click on 'Topics' on the left hand side it will show the threads people have started and it's easy to pick out WIP and RFI threads that way. At the end of each year there is a yearly gallery called a yearbook, this is last years:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/675-2019-yearbook/

This forum does not host any members' photos - they need to be on an external photo hosting site and you then post links here.

As I understand it, the reason is that expanding the servers to cope with hosting many thousands of user images would simply take too much money - and resources.

Just now, bhouse said:

How did this quote box get here?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bhouse said:

As I understand it, the reason is that expanding the servers to cope with hosting many thousands of user images would simply take too much money - and resources.

I don’t think that’s  what @t15dja is suggesting. 

I think he’s just suggesting an additional area within the forum reserved for personal model collections. Posting would, presumably, be done the same way as any other forum in Britmodeller. 

52 minutes ago, Gorby said:

At the end of each year there is a yearly gallery called a yearbook, this is last years:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/675-2019-yearbook/

A yearbook isn’t much use to me cause it normally takes me about 18 months to finish anything. 👍 I joined in 2016and still own models I made in 1982!

I still think a designated recognised  spot where  any Britmodeller member can show a few photos of their collected works is a good suggestion. Might never happen (I guess the mods and admins have enough on their plates already) but I think it’s a good idea.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I don’t think that’s  what @t15dja is suggesting. 

I think he’s just suggesting an additional area within the forum reserved for personal model collections. Posting would, presumably, be done the same way as any other forum in Britmodeller 

That's exactly right, Steve. I get the bit about not wanting  / being able to host photos. 

• Like 1

One workaround which I've shamelessly copied from someone else (and I can't remember who it was but thanks anyway) is to put links to my builds in the 'About Me' part of my profile, then a link to the 'About Me' page in my signature (the "List of Builds" link there).

Granted that's not exactly what you're asking for, but it might do for now? I'm not sure whether you're able to show pics and make your own personal gallery to that page or not though.

12 hours ago, bhouse said:

This forum does not host any members' photos - they need to be on an external photo hosting site and you then post links here.

Also for safety reasons as well.

Not sure what this would add to the site that the Yearbooks, RFI and member search functions don't already do. 

I imagine any such feature would end up a vanity project completely dominated by relatively few prolific modellers but stuffed to the gills with dozens upon dozens of others which will garner very few views while all of the content will be stuff that's already hosted on the site. A massive waste of server resources for little benefit, I reckon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It has been discussed in the Bat Cave. Unfortunately we are unlikely to add personal galleries for a few reasons:

• Its likely to just be a duplication of effort - potentially one post in the RFI, one in a Group Build and one in the Gallery followed by the end of year total. Possibility of four threads for the same set of pictures?
  • If members just stick to posting in a gallery, it detracts from the purpose of the RFI and complicates members efforts to easily find model subject categories
  • Each member would require a gallery to be set up individually and locked off for them alone to access. Extra mod time to implement and keep an eye on things
  • As Al said above in his post

The best method would be for a member to set up his or her own web gallery and link to it from their signature.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The lack of personal galleries is one of the main attractions of this site over the others that do have them.

When I check forums and sift through the headings I want the topic title to give me some indication of what is being discussed in the thread not just the builder.

It is one of the main reasons why I loiter here rather than some other forums where all it is is a list of so and so's workbench/ workshop/builds or whatever they call their threads which in some cases can leave you with hundreds of pages to sift through in the vain hope that they are talking a bout something that may have my interest

My interests are in the models, the techniques, tools, choice of subject, manufacturers and the like not the modeller so that is what I want information about in thread headers.

If it happens that there are people whom I would wish to "follow" then I can access their content through their profile.

Just my personal preference and I respect other peoples view to see it differently.

I just hope that this site would not follow the plethora of "Where's Wally's Workbench" threads that diminish other forums to me.

• Like 3

Whilst I don't have an opinion on this one way or the other, the only thing that I would say on the subject is that when you want to look for an article by someone, or one on a particular model, the search engine on here, shall we say, leaves a lot to be desired. If there was some way that could be improved, it would help a lot.

John.

If you use your normal search engine and put britmodeller after that which you seek then it will search the forum rather than using the forum search function.

Edited by dromia
  • Like 1

• Julien locked this topic