Storing Acrylic paints

Zack

Hello fellow modellers,

I am trying to organize my workspace and what I do find is that the paint jars take up very much space and it is difficult to organize them in a good way.
Since many years now I have been building my stock of paints around the Tamiya range. 

Would you know if there are any considerations to be taken with regards how to store them?

Warning label says away from direct sunlight and with the cap firmly secured. 

Would laying them down be a problem?

I am asking since I did lay half of them down in a fresh attempt to get them in order while the rest of them are standing in a different drawer.

And it does smell of solvent / thinner from the drawer were they are laid down but not so much were the jars are still standing.

I know easy answer is use common sense and stand them up if you notice a difference... but it does allow organizing them much easier.

So - any thoughts or suggestions most welcome :)

Regards
Zack

I returned to the hobby 4 yrs ago after a good 30 odd year break.  After a recent house move and on clearing the loft, I found my old modelling kit which I used as a teenager.  In it are 4 Tamiya acrylic paint jars these are the 23ml size, which back in the 70's that was the only size you could buy in the UK these are about 40 yrs old.  To my amazement I opened them and they're as good as the 10ml paints I've bought only last week :yes:   

Some were laying down in the box, the box hasn't been moved for 12 years, the last time I move and at least periods of 3 - 10 yrs before previous moves.  I think providing the lid is sealed correctly how they stored doesn't matter, sunlight will have an effect on some colour pigments I've know doubt.  I personally always wipe the neck of the jar as soon as I open it, I find this helps limit the build up of paint and I guess has ensured mine have remained air tight.        

We've got a few companies that make paint racks on the Vendor section.  The latest one is EBMA Hobby & Craft, who you can find here.  If you look in the Introducing Ourselves thread you can see a nice pic of some of their racks :) other racks are available, your home could be at risk if you fail to make repayments, and the value of investments can go down as well as up.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mike said:

We've got a few companies that make paint racks on the Vendor section.  The latest one is EBMA Hobby & Craft, who you can find here.  If you look in the Introducing Ourselves thread you can see a nice pic of some of their racks :) other racks are available, your home could be at risk if you fail to make repayments, and the value of investments can go down as well as up.

Mike - are you licensed to give financial advice? :bobby:

• Haha 2

My paint store. Last check, the Tamiyas were still all good. Some are easily 30+ years old. Some of those Humbrol go back to the late 70's.

49778966377_2b62b155e4_b.jpg

Chris

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Mike - are you licensed to give financial advice? :bobby:

Funnily enough, many years ago I was. Honestly, they'd let anyone loose back in those days. :drunk:

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

My paint store

49778966377_2b62b155e4_b.jpg

Some of my Mr Color is stored like that at the moment and I spend more time looking for paint than I do using it. It has to change. :frantic:

• Like 2

If you look, you can see the green index cards laying in various spots. These list the various paints in numeric order and colour name. I'm kinda retentive that way.

Chris

Hi,
Thank you for comments and sharing both tips and tricks :)
Really like the cardboard idea, was trying to buy the wire rack off the LHS but he wouldn't let me. Idea is very similar.
Finally decided that if I am careful (just need to do something completely different after the 6th G&T) I will close those lids, no worries  🤪

So here is what it looks like, WIP wise:

2v2Hf6ssrx6eHcV.jpg

And this is the what needs to get sorted...

2v2Hf6sk8x6eHcV.jpg

So laid down they are!

Thanks guys!

• Like 1