Hurricane IId, 6 Squadron, leading edge wing stripe and some marking observations?

Troy Smith

13 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Finally there appears to be a name (?) beneath the cockpit as well.   Any ideas?   

Air-Britain 'Gifts of War' p391 has BP188 named as 'Atlantic' by an un-identified donor.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys.

'JV-X, codes all white or grey, very pale'

My comment.

Found a request for Medium Sea Grey paint to Lewis & Berger from East Africa end of 1941, and when they asked why that paint they responded it was for markings. As L&B supplied N Africa as well I would say that pale colour is Medium Sea Grey.

Stefaan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Logically good, except that Medium Sea Grey is not pale, let alone very pale.  How it photographs in given films and filters may of course be another matter, as many times the blue component is lost and the colour does appear much lighter than it is in life.  So is the reference to a photograph or a real-life sighting?  

Secondly, would the Hurricane Mk.II squadrons in the Western Desert really be supplied by individual paint manufacturers?  I would expect the Hurricanes in all units to come from the same RAF MU and be painted with the same paints, and probably not from a South African source.  The same would read across to other SAAF types in this theatre - indeed for anything carrying a British serial.

Hi Graham.

My notes researching my current book mentions that South Africa was supplying all RAF/Commonwealth units in the desert (and India). and it will include MU's

The a/c sent from the UK factories would be in RAF paints produced in the UK.

That is not saying that the UK paints were not used, but I have frantically documents to South Africa from RAF HQ begging for paint deliveries. 

I am purely stating that they wanted it for a/c markings.

Stefaan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stefan, I look forward to your book.  I have seen reference to non-UK paints being used in the Middle East, particularly perhaps to a dark version of Dark Earth, but perhaps assumed that the likeliest source was India.  I must admit that for some reason I read your earlier posting as E. Africa rather than N.  Mea culpa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you interested in 6 Squadron and the Hawker Hurricane IV, I’ve just published a book on the squadron’s history with the Hurricane IV from 1943 to 1947. 

Rocket Fighter: 6 Squadron and the Hurricane IV 1943-47 by Simon Gifford. There are about 50 photos in the book, including some

of the silver Hurricane IV and the last Hurricane issued for squadron service KZ610

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Sgifford said:

For those of you interested in 6 Squadron and the Hawker Hurricane IV, I’ve just published a book on the squadron’s history with the Hurricane IV from 1943 to 1947. 

Rocket Fighter: 6 Squadron and the Hurricane IV 1943-47 by Simon Gifford. There are about 50 photos in the book, including some

of the silver Hurricane IV and the last Hurricane issued for squadron service KZ610

Excellent. Great gap filler, long overdue.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 5:35 AM, Troy Smith said:

….This maybe of use as well,  from the 1974 PSL Hurricane book, to1/24th scale.   Only drawing I have seen showing the rear D door,  as opposed to the C wing so many books show (again, an error repeated in the recent Valiant Wings book)…

Yes, it is rather disappointing. Hopefully if there is a version 2 of the book there is an attempt to fix this, and the MkIV armoured windshield etc.