Revell 1:32 Hawk T1a - Red Arrow * FINISHED*

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Only just found this build. Congratulations on a great build so far! 

How are your retinas holding up ⁉️🤩

It's red like no other, isn't it? 

I wanted to chip in, in case you'd missed a snag.... Although it seems unlikely. 

Those stakes under the tail.... Did you flatten them? I see they're on already. 

Revell have made them quite aerofoil shaped, and I fitted mine before checking the walkaround refs. 

They're supposed to be dead flat plates! 

Thought I ought to flag it up 👍

The red plastic certainly is different and is quite flimsy in some areas but on the flip side, sanding is easier. 

It'll be interesting to see this in primer. I did read somewhere about the stakes being flat and I remembered that I should sand them .... then promptly forgot to do so !! 😂

Thanks for the heads up and reminder, I will add it to my to do list 🤝

7 hours ago, AMB said:

Watching this with interest as I have NINE of these kits for a complete team!  One issue is that Revell made the mould referring to early deliveries of the Hawks to the Red Arrows, following which the base at the rear of the tail was modified with a fillet. Comparing photos, it appears this mod was done over the 1981 winter period in time for the 1982 season.  Compare my photos of before and after the tail mod. 

49880846106_029ebae9db.jpgRed Arrows tail mod. by Adrian Balch, on Flickr

Thanks for this .. I did wonder why there were two parts in the kit, luckily I had checked my photos of XX308 and I've fitted the right one. Very shiny aircraft in your photos btw... Going to be a challenge to try and replicate this finish , I'll worry about that later though 🤝

1 hour ago, DAG058 said:

Very nice work so far.

Thank you ... appreciated. It's a big model for a small aircraft 👍

8 hours ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

The red plastic certainly is different and is quite flimsy in some areas but on the flip side, sanding is easier. 

It'll be interesting to see this in primer. I did read somewhere about the stakes being flat and I remembered that I should sand them .... then promptly forgot to do so !! 😂

Thanks for the heads up and reminder, I will add it to my to do list 🤝

Thanks for this .. I did wonder why there were two parts in the kit, luckily I had checked my photos of XX308 and I've fitted the right one. Very shiny aircraft in your photos btw... Going to be a challenge to try and replicate this finish , I'll worry about that later though 🤝

All the RAF Hawks got the Tail mod, best way to tell if check the base of the Rudder, early is short, later and current it extends to end of the fuselage.  

Your kit is looking good..

How are you planing to do the pilots?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

. Very shiny aircraft in your photos btw... Going to be a challenge to try and replicate this finish , I'll worry about that later though 🤝

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'very shiny finish'. I attended the 50th Display Season Press Day in 2014 and inspected the aircraft at close quarters. I was appalled at how tatty and matt some of the paintwork was, with clearly patched up panels by hand!  Those aircraft were probably due for a respray, but not a good look to be presented to the Press! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

If you're going wheels up, are you going to do a pilot in the front seat? 

The canopy is like a greenhouse.... No hiding place! 

But the seats are looking superb 

... Haven't decided on a pilot at this stage , I'm sure I could source a 1:32 scale pilot or maybe just a smaller pilot ie 1:48 scale !! 😂😂

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

All the RAF Hawks got the Tail mod, best way to tell if check the base of the Rudder, early is short, later and current it extends to end of the fuselage.  

Your kit is looking good..

How are you planing to do the pilots?

Yeah, I think I've chosen the right one and thank you about the kit. The finish is what will make or break it . See above re pilot 😃

1 hour ago, AMB said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'very shiny finish'. I attended the 50th Display Season Press Day in 2014 and inspected the aircraft at close quarters. I was appalled at how tatty and matt some of the paintwork was, with clearly patched up panels by hand!  Those aircraft were probably due for a respray, but not a good look to be presented to the Press! 

Mine is going to be slightly weathered, I'm planning on end of season look !! ... XX308 these days is very faded after years under cover at East Fortune. I suppose back in the day, joe public wouldn't notice tatty as they streaked past.

Also seriously thinking about a 14MM clear acrylic rod shoved up the tail pipe after its been carefully heated and bent into a stand . Miles away from that yet though. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 2:09 PM, Dr. Quack said:

I'm sure I have an Eduard etched HUD for the Hawk, not needed on my build. If you want it just let me know....pm me your address and its yours.

Q

Doc,

It would appear that the red arrow aircraft didn't have HUD fitted, going by the walk round photos... I'll keep your PE safe and return it to you once restrictions lifted 😊🤝 ... Decals will be used though and very grateful.

B

• Thanks 1

Just found and caught up with this build! Great work, surprised at your choice of finish thought you'd stay loyal and do a FRADU scheme!😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Muzz said:

Just found and caught up with this build! Great work, surprised at your choice of finish thought you'd stay loyal and do a FRADU scheme!😂

... I am giving it to my son as a wee gift, he never quite got over the red arrows flying over mums old house at Newbridge when he was a toddler. They flew over in formation and split ... he needed his nappy changed 🤣🤣👍

14 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

More likely a satnav box fitted on the turtle deck. I'm sure I saw that on a few refs

Will have a look. Thank you. Definitely need to scratch up a map case for the back. 🤝

• Haha 1

I have to say i am a little bothered by that surface texture in the plastic. Its almost going to need a Halfords filler primer to get it so it will work as gloss but then you will lose detail. Be very careful how you go , i tried to do a hawk in gloss black many years ago and it ended up in the bin as i kept getting a frosted finish.....GL :)

6 hours ago, Spec7 said:

I have to say i am a little bothered by that surface texture in the plastic. Its almost going to need a Halfords filler primer to get it so it will work as gloss but then you will lose detail. Be very careful how you go , i tried to do a hawk in gloss black many years ago and it ended up in the bin as i kept getting a frosted finish.....GL :)

Hard to tell at this stage, spent the night sanding away the step and calling it done for now, as my eyes have gone cross eyed . I think I'll prep for primer and see where I am after this had been applied.  Boring picture but is shows the step as is ....

Step correction

Think the join also needs work but difficult to see with all the red plastic... more done by feel.

I'm sure fellow BM member " muzz" has done a gloss black Hawk so if need be, I'll call for advice. Thanks for the heads up Spec7, I'll take my time 👍🤝

• Like 5

PM me for Tips as i've done a gloss black Hawk, and was happy with the finish..

I did have photo's on here but with the photobucket issues a while ago they have disappeared..

I can also help you with pilots if your stuck as i made resin RAF pilots for my build.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shaun said:

PM me for Tips as i've done a gloss black Hawk, and was happy with the finish..

I did have photo's on here but with the photobucket issues a while ago they have disappeared..

I can also help you with pilots if your stuck as i made resin RAF pilots for my build.

Thank you for the offer, miles away from that but I'll certainly get in touch when I'm there. 

You've now firmly planted the pilot option in my head ... I'll let you know 😄🤝

Thank you 

• Like 1

Coat of " Ultimate " grey primer added.. just so that I can see the areas that need attention. 

Underside shows that more work required around the centre seam and air brake area..

Primer

Upper half requires some work around the upper  panel aft of the cockpit and again some seam work.  Also now that it is primed I can see that a little bit of filler required ar the upper stbd wing / fuselage join...

Primer

Inner cockpit separation glass also primed and the outer edge painted white. I'll wait until it completely dries and mask up and repaint the inboard sections black or dark grey , to match the cockpit as is.

For now.. all being left to dry for a day or so. Still enjoying the lockdown build 👍

• Like 1

Two steps forward and one back !! Filler was applied and after it had hardened, it was then sanded back. Took all evening but turned out pretty good.

Prime and sand back

Top side seams given the same treatment,  a combination of varying grit sanding sticks and trusty wet n dry fine sandpaper.

Inboard section of the wings were filled and wiped with damp sponge so no sanding needed.

Intakes still not permanently added as the inner sections required priming, masking and ready for the red to be applied.  I think I'll try a light coat of black first though.

Prime and sand back

Took a while to get the masking on both halfs of the intakes correctly lined up. Measured twice and mask once, then check the masking is symmetrical... it wasn't,  so fiddle n fettle until spot on.

Next stage, prime again and have a look at rescribing the panel lines. 

Cheers 🤝

• Like 2

Just an update on the intakes. Masked,  primed , black based and top coat applied. Used Mr Color 327 as it's a gloss and to my eye.. a good match . I'll be able to judge when it is applied to main fuselage.

Intake - pre paint

Intake - pre paint

Internal part of intake painted. Exterior is the kit red plastic.

Back on

Not a lot to show for a good few hours prep & paint. 

Question - the MDC decal... do you apply it externally or internally to the canopy ??

Edited by MarkdipXV711
Spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

Question - the MDC decal... do you apply it externally or internally to the canopy ??

Important note - I have not built one of these! But I'd guess internally, given that is where it is in reality? Hopefully someone who has built it can verify.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, F111Fan said:

Important note - I have not built one of these! But I'd guess internally, given that is where it is in reality? Hopefully someone who has built it can verify.

Quite correct - the MDC is fitted between the canopy laminations, so definately would not be externally on the model.

19 hours ago, AMB said:

Quite correct - the MDC is fitted between the canopy laminations, so definately would not be externally on the model.

Gave this a go last night and set it on the inside of the canopy .. couple of small blemishes & folds with decal backing but Microsol seems to have removed most. I'll give it another covering with solution overnight and then dip the whole thing in clear tomorrow.. but overall, quite pleased 😊

Mdc - 1st attempt

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Been a while ... took the opportunity to do a couple of jobs around the house,  which turned into new patio being built !! 🙄🤣

Anyway.. getting back to this, in short, canopy masked, primed and then white area around glazed area sprayed, then remasked again and primed again after checking finish.

Happy enough to move onto pre shading and blue for fin applied.  Being left now for a few days for it all to dry properly then,  it'll be ready for masking and first coat of red.

Pre shade

Pre shade

Pre shade

Managed to knock the tail a few times so the fragile top hinge on the fin broke. The masking should take care of that until I decide how much deflection I'll settle with.

Till next time, keep safe and enjoy your modelling time 😷

• Like 2

Mr Color paints or more accurately, the same brand thinners do smell a bit and as I'm spraying thin coats, thought it best I relocate to the garden.

At least the suns oot !! 😊

Couple of thin red coats applied.

1st coat red

1st coat red

Spent last night carefully cutting out the white fin flash so I could use it as a template to mask off the blue section of the tail.

Looked good at the time but time will tell.  Patience required now, in order to build up the red top coat.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the main red and happy with the pre shading just showing through. Going with somewhere between mid season and hanger queen look... so not immaculate paint finish 😉

Applied a couple of coats of Humbrol gloss varnish and she is very shiny. Leaving it to completely dry before tackling the decals. 

I'm aware that some areas underneath ie the actuators for control surfaces may need changing to white .. but all in good time.

Varnish

Varnish

Varnish

Enjoy 

• Like 3