Revell 1:32 Hawk T1a - Red Arrow * FINISHED*

First of all, hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe 🤝👍

Got a bit of time on my hands so plucked up the mojo and started this extremely red plastic devil !!

1:32 Revell "Red Arrow"

Everything bar the transparents ( obviously) is molded in red plastic so until you wash it and prime it, I for one, found it difficult to imagine it looking even remotely realistic.

Forgot in my haste to take pictures of the cockpit assembled prior to paint. This is where I'm at now... 

Not perfect but a lot better after I ditched the seatbelt decals and made my own from scratch using tinfoil sandwiched between some masking tape.

The next picture shows the decals which have gone into the spares box and should never be used for their intended purpose !! 

A final shot showing the completed cockpit and canopy interior.  Next step, the fuselage and some thought as to what will be painted prior to assembling.

The red plastic... suggests everything 😉

Keep safe and keep modelling 🤝

Edited by MarkdipXV711
Spelling
  • Like 14

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I'm ever amazed at the incredible work you and others do on cockpits. Yours is marvelous!

... thank you, all techniques borrowed or stolen from others on this site 😉😁

Its always a case of trial & error and when it works, immensely satisfying. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update - two fuselage halves dry fitted and no major issues. Always seems to help if you have the two halves clamped together for a few days, imo - it appears to have the two halves stress evenly together and fit together better when it comes time to glue.

Cockpit went in no bother after I read previous builds of this kit and carefully sanded the sides of the instrument panel and tub. This is probably the only good thing about the red plastic, you can certainly see where you need to sand.

Red Arrow - Fuselage dry fit

Engine intakes are just dry fitted and should glue flush enough with a bit of clamping.

Starboard side ...

... and the Port side ..

Again dry fit. I must remember to mask and paint the intakes the appropriate colours before securing in place. I'm aware that the horizontal white stripe along the length of the fuselage actually extends into the intake and is visible especially on the inboard section...

DSC_0044

DSC_0066

Pictures taken by myself last year at East Fortune. 

Anybody need any photos of this air frame, I'm happy to share, its XX308 

DSC_0070

Going to build this wheels up so although you won't see any of the undercarriage bay detail, it still has to be fitted as it adds support & rigidity for the two halves. 

Rear end has no major fit issues either ( thus far ) and exhaust dirtied up using some of my daughters eye shadow palette that she was throwing out !! .. some great metallic colours but avoid the ones with glitter 😅🤪

A final overview shot .. 

That's it for now,  stay safe and keep modelling 🤝👍

Edited by MarkdipXV711
Typo
  • Like 15

Not much done today apart from adding some cut drinking straw to the inside of the holes at the back end of the fuselage.  This way it replicates the intakes or vents ?? on the real thing.

20200429_215506

When the two halves are buttoned up the holes are visible but the actual vent heads forward . Don't know what it does though.

Keeping the plastic clamped together helped when it came to joining the fuselage but it still needs some serious persuasion for a tight fit.

20200429_225443

Wings went together well and the ailerons are moveable when fitted. Just clamped in this picture to stop me knocking them whilst handling.

Keep building folks .. 😊🤝

• Like 8

Already said that this is going to be built wheels up ... word of caution. The instructions show to cut all tabs off then fit the main undercarriage doors.. don't,  always best to check fit because ....

20200430_224610

You need to keep this tab but reshape it to help fit where the arrow is pointing. The blue tac is used to help support the doors when gently easing them into the wings.

20200430_225635

It's quite difficult to see if the fit is good, so I used Tamiya extra thin and applied it to small areas at a time and felt with my finger to feel if the joints were flush. Took a bit longer but the finished look ( or feel !! ) was worth it.

20200430_225942

Front undercarriage doors went on no problem and all tabs were removed as per instructions.

Horizontal stabilizers clamped and glued but required careful removal from the sprue and a little bit of sanding on the inside to remove ejector pin marks, which were preventing a close, tight join.

Still overall, a great kit and an enjoyable build so far 👋

• Like 8

This is looking really good, especially the cockpit. I'll watch with interest as I'm limping to the finishing line with my own attempt......all black.....big mistake! Managed to pick this kit up at last years Scottish Nationals for £10.....hey I'm a slow builder! 🐢

Agree it's an enjoyable build.

Have fun....

Q

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

This is looking really good, especially the cockpit. I'll watch with interest as I'm limping to the finishing line with my own attempt......all black.....big mistake! Managed to pick this kit up at last years Scottish Nationals for £10.....hey I'm a slow builder! 🐢

Agree it's an enjoyable build.

Have fun....

Q

Thank you. I'm assuming all gloss black ?.... Going to interesting enough to do this in red arrows colours in this scale, every blemish will show. Have you got a wip on the go ?

Just noticed that real thing has heads up display . Don't think the kit has this or maybe I just missed it. 

There will be a bit of time spent going over my photos of XX308 to see what needs attention or altering .

You'll probably have seen the superb walkaround pics posted here....

I've not done a wip...I'm such a slow builder that everybody would get bored! I'll try to post rfi pics as and when it's finished....currently having problems with the final decals which have to be home printed....white lettering of course so not easily printable. Come to think of it most of my language recently has been unprintable too!

Keep up the good work....

Q

• Like 1

I have a spare set of decals as well. Only a couple of non-red-arrows decals used. Sheet is slightly grubby but that's how it arrived in my admittedly grubby paws. Yours for the asking.

Q

6 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Markdip

Do you know anyone who has a spare set of decals? The white kit decals are a little see-through over the red but a second decal set on top does the trick.

regards Toby

Was planning on spraying the white on as a base layer and applying my decals thereafter. 

Going to pm Dr Quack and take him up on his offer though .

Generosity on the part of BM's is as always outstanding 👍🤝

3 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I have a spare set of decals as well. Only a couple of non-red-arrows decals used. Sheet is slightly grubby but that's how it arrived in my admittedly grubby paws. Yours for the asking.

Q

Apologies for tardy reply .. was watching "Midway" with bass box on !!! ... sensory overload 👍

I'll PM you now 🤝

8 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

You'll probably have seen the superb walkaround pics posted here....

I've not done a wip...I'm such a slow builder that everybody would get bored! I'll try to post rfi pics as and when it's finished....currently having problems with the final decals which have to be home printed....white lettering of course so not easily printable. Come to think of it most of my language recently has been unprintable too!

Keep up the good work....

Q

I'm sure I have several decal sheets with just white letters and numbers in various scales. What are you after ??

Thanks. Without wanting to hijack your thread.....I'm trying to add fuselage lettering which reads "RAF centre of aviation medicine". Waaaay too many letters for hamfisted me to apply individually. Tried making decals on white decal paper with black background...decals look good but I can't seal them properly and the ink bleeds everywhere. I'll probably wait until after the on going zombie apocalypse and try again with a laser printer as the inks seem to be water-fast.

Wish me luck.

Q

38 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Thanks. Without wanting to hijack your thread.....I'm trying to add fuselage lettering which reads "RAF centre of aviation medicine". Waaaay too many letters for hamfisted me to apply individually. Tried making decals on white decal paper with black background...decals look good but I can't seal them properly and the ink bleeds everywhere. I'll probably wait until after the on going zombie apocalypse and try again with a laser printer as the inks seem to be water-fast.

Wish me luck.

Q

I'll dig out the decal sheet and put up a pic ... standby 

Decals

Not the best photo but you're welcome to them and send back what you don't need 🤝👍

Edited by MarkdipXV711
Spelling

Your extraordinary work on the cockpit is paying off handsomely. That's a lot of canopy to see through and the canopy is wonderfully crystal clear. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening, 

Horizontal stabilisers on with no major issues, as is the rudder. Wings attached to the fuselage and mostly a really good fit. 

Cockpit glass just placed on for the photo .

XX308

Internal glazing is masked with a liquid mask as I need to paint the lower half black and the upper " ring " white(ish). Tank for the dye is also ready to be fitted but can't decide pre or post paint & decals.

Forgot to pre drill location holes, just as well as the fragile locating pins snapped off with my handling. 

XX308

Only issue with the underside is the slight gap on both sides where the wings meet the intakes, as shown by the pencil tip.

Gaps in undercarriage doors filled and smoothed with damp sponge to clean up prior to setting.

XX308

.. and as previously posted by others,  this step just after of the intake cowling but only on the port side ?? 

XX308

Intakes are not glued as I will paint them up off the aircraft, if possible.  They are a tight fit with the wings now on.

That's it.. not a lot of progress but getting closer to primer.

Cheerio 👍😊

• Like 5

Only just found this build. Congratulations on a great build so far! 

How are your retinas holding up ⁉️🤩

It's red like no other, isn't it? 

I wanted to chip in, in case you'd missed a snag.... Although it seems unlikely. 

Those stakes under the tail.... Did you flatten them? I see they're on already. 

Revell have made them quite aerofoil shaped, and I fitted mine before checking the walkaround refs. 

They're supposed to be dead flat plates! 

Thought I ought to flag it up 👍

• Like 1

Watching this with interest as I have NINE of these kits for a complete team!  One issue is that Revell made the mould referring to early deliveries of the Hawks to the Red Arrows, following which the base at the rear of the tail was modified with a fillet. Comparing photos, it appears this mod was done over the 1981 winter period in time for the 1982 season.  Compare my photos of before and after the tail mod. 

49880846106_029ebae9db.jpgRed Arrows tail mod. by Adrian Balch, on Flickr

• Like 3