Revell 1:32 Hawk T1a - Red Arrow * FINISHED*

9 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

The finish is looking good. Your seams are much better than mine.

Nice patio by the way.........

👍Q

Thank you..took a while as I read up on other builds which helped with the problem areas. 

Edited by MarkdipXV711
Typo

9 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

The finish is looking good. Your seams are much better than mine.

Nice patio by the way.........

👍Q

Cheers Q .. it's a big model with not much on show externally so the joints are very visible and as such it took several goes and re attempts to get them presentable. A lot of sanding.

The patio certainly took a while and provides much more space ... one advantage of the lockdown I suppose 🙂😉

Looking forward to the decals going on.

• Like 1

Evening, 

I have to say ... these decals ( thus far) are an absolute delight to work with. They take quite a bit of soaking to release them from the backing paper but they are strong enough to work with and reposition where needed.

Using micro set coupled with the high gloss clear " Humbrol" varnish, has so far resulted in a good strong white ... fingers crossed that I wont need to apply a second decal on top .

I'm happy with the white ... no " pinking " even under a bright led work light. 

Decals started

20200803_220458

Edited by MarkdipXV711
Spelling
  • Like 2

Doh .. knew there had to be something I'd forgotten...shouldn't have glued the under wing actuators on as it made the decal setting nigh on impossible. Luckily they were removed without too much damage and the large white arrow decals now in place. 

Underside

Just some micro sol needed to soften them down. Whilst that's doing its thing, I'll use the spare white decals ( thanks Doc 👍) to cover the actuators where required... that's the plan anyway .

Cheers 😉🙄

• Like 2

Quite a bit of progress today with all the decals applied and various small parts applied..or re applied. 

I did manage to drop it and chip the paint on the underside.. just aft of the nose wheel bay and in front of the port intake. It's been rubbed back and ready for repair. I'll have a think about how to do this,  either spray or brush ? ... frustrating at this stage 😡

I'll leave it a few days as I'm awaiting delivery of a metal pitot tube for the front.

Thanks for looking in ... cheers 🤝👍

• Like 1

Almost there ... Flory wash and Vallejo wash added ..

Almost there

Almost there

... and cleaned off where not required. Masters probe arrived and prepped for paint.

Almost there

Almost there

Almost there

She is not pristine appearance wise but I prefer my models with a fair amount of weathering.

I'm sure many ( especially ex or current red arrow maintainers ) will balk at the grimy look. It looks extreme under artificial lights so I'll see how it looks under sunlight and after a good buff and final high gloss coat.

Thanks for looking it .. 🤝👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Coming along very nicely...glad the spare decals came in useful.

Q

Thanks Q .. Spare decals saved my bacon, not because of white needing double application but because they were essential when it came to rectifying my mistake of having to remove parts and re attach . 

Just the nose probe and dye nozzles to finish and fit but I need to think about how to attach a clear perspective rod up the tail pipe and also how bend it into shape. I'm thinking a wine cork or similar ?? and use of a heat gun or oven for the rod.

• Thanks 1

Been a while since I looked in on this one. 

Great progress! Looking good 😎

I built a 1.72 kit alongside, really as a paint mule and for trying out things. That really emphasised the sheer BIGness of the big one. 

Good luck to the finish line 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Been a while since I looked in on this one. 

Great progress! Looking good 😎

I built a 1.72 kit alongside, really as a paint mule and for trying out things. That really emphasised the sheer BIGness of the big one. 

Good luck to the finish line 👍

Thank you.. it is a big kit and certainly is a great kit for those who have the skill & patience for all the extra detail. Me ? .. I liked this, cos with my eyesight these days, it is easier to work on  !! 😊😁

Evening... calling this done. I'll post some better pictures in RFI when I have built a suitable mount and stand for it but for now, this is how XX308 looks tonight.

Fin

Fin

Fin

Fin

Fin

Fin

A couple of small areas to tidy up and the dye nozzles to be fitted but this will be after I insert a clear acrylic rod up the tail pipe . 😳

Thanks for the support and comments, appreciated as always.

Stay safe 😷🤝

• Like 4

Excellent! Great to see it completed.

My (black) attempt is still languishing for lack of usable custom decals, ghost seams, and a bad case of Orange peel finish. One day I'll finish, meantime I applaud your build.

Happy Quack.

• Thanks 1

What do you do when the family go out and leave you in peace for a while ??... turn on her good oven, 160 degrees C, heat up and bend your acrylic rod to shape !! 🤣🤣

Sorry no pictures as my hands were full. Also take a wine cork, drill a 8mm hole and then shave it down using this method ..

Mounting base

Insert the other end into the hole ( 8mm) in the base and voila !! ... my home made stand .

Mounting base

Just need to paint the base and lacquer it but overall, pretty pleased 😁😁

Mounting base

Mounting base

Cork up the tailpipe .. who'd have thought !! 😳😳🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

Beautiful job!

Mind if I ask where you would acquire a rod, clear acrylic, up the tail pipe, placing, for the purposes of? 

Ta.