1/72 GWH F-15C - Lakenheath Reaper

Evening all, 

After having made few visits to RAF Lakenheath over the past couple of years it was inevitable that I'd end up feeling the need to add a couple of Eagle's to the collection!

Only things still to add are a couple of AMRAAM's, and I realised I've missed the nav lights, anyway here's my first effort at an Eagle -

Kit: 1/72 Great Wall Hobby F-15C MSIP II  

Decals: Kit decals and Caracal Models CD72074 - F-15C/D Lakenheath Eagles

Paint: Tamiya, Vallejo and Vallejo metallic's

Weathering: Windsor and Newton oil's, Daler-Rowney pastels

Extra's: Tamiya tape seat belts

I chose this option from the Caracal decal sheet as I caught a couple of photo's this very jet departing Lakenheath last August (see last 2 pics!). The jet still sports 2 kill markings below the cockpit for a pair of Su-25's downed on 6th January 1991. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticism gratefully received,

Eng

• Like 31

Very nice!!!!!  Did you have any issues with the front windscreen fitting properly on the control panel hood?????  I had problems with my GWH F-15I Ra`am front windscreen as it was badly mis-shapen to fit properly.  Unlike mine, your`s looks great!!!!

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Very nice!!!!!  Did you have any issues with the front windscreen fitting properly on the control panel hood?????  I had problems with my GWH F-15I Ra`am front windscreen as it was badly mis-shapen to fit properly.  Unlike mine, your`s looks great!!!

Thanks Mike, I never had any issue with the front canopy other than needing a tiny swipe of filler to blend in the join. I have got another one of these and two Strike Eagles so will be interesting to see if there's any issue with any of these.

8 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

lovely finish.

How do you rate the kit, is it a big improvement on the Hasegawa offering.

I've never built the Hasegawa kit but I did have one in the stash for a while. I'd say the GWH kit is far more refined, and fits together with minimal effort and only a smear of filler. The panel lines and detail of the GWH kit is exactly what you'd expect of a modern kit from the Far East, sharp and crisp. I'd build this kit over and over again, its beautifully engineered for a 1/72 offering.

Thank you to everyone who's commented kindly on this one 😉

Eng

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

Very nice! Always great to see a Mig killer; thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much indeed for producing these decals in 1/72 scale, they are absolutely beautiful and performed flawlessly. I'm really pleased with how this turned out and am glad to finally have a Lakenheath Eagle in my collection.

Eng