AV-8B Harrier II USMC Edwards AFB 1985

modelling minion

1 minute ago, SoftScience said:

Sorry about the decals, but the rest of the build looks great!

Have you tried fitting the wing, yet?

Thanks.

I've tried the wing and it's not too bad, the rear joint will be the trickiest but the front one actually looks quite good,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great work Craig. I was at Wittering for a couple of years, luckily while the GR9s where still flying. Always loved a Harrier. 

Cheers H, it was GR9's while I was spending time there supposedly looking after their Pegasus 107's.

Very pleased to say that my replacement decals turned up this afternoon and the fuselage and wings are now completed decal wise, at least as far as I can before joining them together. Once the varnish has set on them overnight I will start to put a wash on and then do a bit of weathering and then I can join the main parts together!!

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 3

On 5/16/2020 at 10:14 AM, modelling minion said:

And just to prove that I am keeping my word to @Col. here are a couple of pics that show how she looks at the minute.

Looking splendid Craig :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Time for a little show and tell as to what I've been up to lately.

After the fuselage decals were finally sorted it was time to get the main wing assembly fitted. the joint at the front wasn't too bad but the one at the rear ended up a bit worse than I had hoped, isn't it funny how you can dry fit something and it will look okay yet the second it gets a whiff of glue it all goes to pot. The pictures below show the two joints after initial cleaning and the application of filler;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a very large gap running the length of the underside wing joint;

spacer.png

Well after quite a few sanding re-filling, sanding more re-filling, sanding and a few coats of paint I finally have something I am more happy with. I also took the time to deepen the orange to something more closely resembling International Orange by giving it a coat of Tamiya clear red which I think has worked. 

I have also applied some muck to the undersides of the fuselage, well quite a lot of it actually as in some of the pics she is positively filthy and to seal and finish everything I have given her a coat of matt varnish but have given less of a coating to the orange and white areas and the pictures below show exactly how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And thats how she looks at the minute, next up is the prep of some whizz-bangery to hang under the wings and fuselage pylons and to get her on her wheels, always fun with a Harrier!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

That is look excellent Craig, such a striking scheme

Cheers Ray, glad that you like her so far.

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

That paint work is excellent, don’t know which spell you used to re paint that sanding but it’s a good one.

Rob

Thanks Rob, no spells involved mate, it looks a lot better from a distance I can assure you.

46 minutes ago, zebra said:

Nice work Craig. Stunning scheme!

Thanks mate, it certainly does look different to the usual plain camouflage schemes doesn't it.

• Like 1

A good recovery. It always happens, in that you will get parts to fit easily with no glue, but the moment glue comes anywhere near the part it either decides to fall out of your hand, not go where it is meant to go or does not fit how it should do.

• Thanks 1

Hi Craig. Hope you are keeping well. Well, despite the old decals and wing fit issues, it's looking stunning in those last photos!! Awesome modelling as always! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jabba said:

A good recovery. It always happens, in that you will get parts to fit easily with no glue, but the moment glue comes anywhere near the part it either decides to fall out of your hand, not go where it is meant to go or does not fit how it should do.

Cheers Jabba, yep sods law isn't it!

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Hope you are keeping well. Well, despite the old decals and wing fit issues, it's looking stunning in those last photos!! Awesome modelling as always! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, far too kind as always.

I'm working on the last remaining bits so hopefully the next update will be the finished item, i have to say that despite a few issues I've enjoyed this Monogram classic.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That’s a great save after fitting the wing. Are you sure the pictures are your model and not the real thing?

Thanks H, definitely not the real thing and looks a lot better from a distance.

Working on the para pack for the tail today and hope to get it finished later.

• Like 1

And she is done!

I finished off the last remaining little jobs today which included building and painting the para pack for the racking at the rear and so I can finally claim this one as finished. She has fought me a little at times (well she IS a Monogram kit!) but I have enjoyed the build, the colour scheme made the build process different from normal but it didn't cause too much hassle and I would definitely build another in the future, I really fancy one from the Gulf War in the temporary schemes that they wore, come to think of it next year is the 30th Anniversary of that war so I think that @Jabba should propose a GB for it so we can all vote for it!

So enough waffle here are a couple of pics of the finished item, I shall stick 5 in the gallery.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A big thank you to all who have been following or just looked in during the build and especially to Rob for coming up with the idea for this great GB and for being such a great host, well done mate! I also have to give a big thank you to Sven ( @Old Viper Tester ) for taking and posting such inspirational pictures in the first place.

As usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received and thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That’s a great build and finish Craig 

:clap::clap::clap::worthy:

Thanks H, very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

She turned out great Craig my apologies for the delay in commenting. 

Thanks Dennis, no need to apologise mate I know you are busy. 

• Like 1