72modeler

I had to post this one! Photo shows what I think is one of the Spitfires that was flown off of the USS Wasp to Malta during Operation Bowery. IIRC, one of the Mk Vc's launched had its slipper tank refuse to feed, so not being able to reach Malta on internal fuel, he elected to land back aboard after all the other aircraft had launched successfully. No arrestor hook and no previous carrier landing experience. I think he was Canadian, to boot! 'Winkle' Brown would have been proud of him, methinks! Photo via Asisbiz.

Mike

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/Malta/pages/Spitfire-MkVbTrop-RCAF-PO-Jerry-Smith-lands-aboard-USS-Wasp-of-Malta-1942-01.html

Edited by 72modeler
edited text
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I had to post this one! Photo shows what I think is one of the Spitfires that was flown off of the USS Wasp to Malta during Operation Bowery. IIRC, one of the Mk Vc's launched had its slipper tank refuse to feed, so not being able to reach Malta on internal fuel, he elected to land back aboard after all the other aircraft had launched successfully. No arrestor hook and no previous carrier landing experience. I think he was Canadian, to boot! 'Winkle' Brown would have been proud of him, methinks! Photo via Asisbiz.

Mike

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/Malta/pages/Spitfire-MkVbTrop-RCAF-PO-Jerry-Smith-lands-aboard-USS-Wasp-of-Malta-1942-01.html

So the fact that he was Canadian made this even more amazing because.......?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimea River said:

So the fact that he was Canadian made this even more amazing because.......?

Dunno what you read into my statement, but my thinking at the time I posted the photo was an RAF Spitfire flown off of a USN aircraft carrier by a Canadian pilot was pretty unusual and neat.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I think he was Canadian, to boot!

Kinda comes across like you think it's amazing a Canadian did something amazing, which kinda amazes a Canadian that you would think that, since, as Canadians, we know we do things all the time that you might think are amazing.

Edited by nsmekanik
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Well, you are certainly free to comment upon what you think or perceived I meant, but that was not my intention and anybody here on BM who knows me or has read my posts can attest to my having no biases whatsoever where nationality is concerned. I am a little puzzled  by your comments, which kinda come across to me to be a little severe with no real justification. 

Mike

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, nsmekanik said:

I guess I should have added "nudge nudge wink wink" not taking this at all to seriously then....... so in good ole Canuck tradition........I'm sorry :giggle:

Beauty, eh? :like:

Mike

• Like 1

And you also learn something new everyday. If you scroll down to the info section you will see that Supermarine was located on Long Island, New York. Must be correct - it's on the internet!!

Peter M

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Damn! Real maple syrup and real 'Canadian' bacon? I can smell it from here! Add three eggs over easy, and I'll be on the next flight to Alberta as soon as this d--- pandemic is history! (I can also make a side trip to Calgary to see one of my college classmates that I haven't seen in ages!)

Mike

• Like 1