Spitfire photo collection

72modeler

With the imminent release of the new-tool 1/72 Airfix Mk Vc kit, I was looking for photos that showed   four cannon  aircraft, and stumbled upon this website. I don't know if it has been posted before, but if not, I wanted to share it with all of you. An  incredible collection of photos and color profiles, which are arranged by basic type, by squadron, and by other users, such as RAAF, SAAF, RCAF, USAAF, etc. Opening each tab reveals the photos in that section, and you can select and enlarge each image. It will take a lot of time to go through the entire collection, but we're all in self-quarantine with nothing better to do, right? (Mike or Julien- I thought this might be the appropriate forum for this link, but if not, please move it to the correct location.) It's hard to type this, as Ii have to keep wiping the drool off of the screen! Spits to the left, Spits to the right! I keep opening tabs but there's no end in sight!

Mike

https://www.asisbiz.com/Spitfire.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/13/2020 at 6:37 PM, JohnT said:

Come across any colour photos of blue Malta Spitfires yet 😃

There's one of Weaver's Spitfire on an Italian beach.  (Think it was Weaver's.)

That's the only period one I know, but Dennis Barham produced at least one painting showing them, and he mentions them in his book.

11 minutes ago, derekS said:

Hi,

Check out 601 Sqn,"Malta Patrol",4 from the bottom.  Look to be desert scheme oversprayed blue_grey.

Very strange serials though. Any thoughts?

Cheers,derek

Hadn't seen that one, could be ones that came in Operation Bowery in Temperate Sea Scheme rather than the Calendar ones (or later) overpainted in blue.  However I would agree that the serials are totally wrong, which casts considerable doubt on the entire thing.  Someone is playing games with a set of technological crayons...

PS the first photo under 607 Sq. isn't: it belongs to the Air Fighting Development Unit which took over 607's codes when they became free.

So are the wrong serials a deliberate hint to avoid confusing us?  Doesn't seem to have worked...  

Bit of background: 601 went out to Malta on Calendar with Spitfires in Dark Mediterranean Blue over Azure Blue.  The serials were not left on a desert background.   They were based at Hal Far (or at least not at Takali) and retained the four cannon, at least until the time of the Barnham publicity photos.  However attrition was high and Bowery brought more Spitfires in Temperate Sea Scheme on Wasp and unknown on Eagle - although at least one seems to have been a Calendar abort - so 601 will have received numbers of these.  601 was transferred to the Desert during a calmer time, which possibly explains why one laggard UF.S was reported being flown by Beurling (249 Sq.)  Whether it had been repainted in Desert Scheme (see Italeri) or not is an interesting question, but it does seem to have received 249's dark blue camouflage at some stage.