Bucker Bu 181 rivets?

Weatherman

Hi guys, the title speaks itself. Trid to locate any kind of riveting on the wings and fuselage on the Bu 181 but no luck at all. Was it possible that the plane was empty of rivets? Only a few around the engine cowling. Any help is appreciated.

Themis

Why do people feel the inclination to put holes in an airframe and call them Rivets, they're NOT rivets, they're holes, Rivets fill holes.

Most airframe guys I know would shoot a rivet to be flush or within 5 thousandths of an inch in 1:1 scale - this would not even show up in 1/32nd scale!

This putting divots in the air frame's surface is the Emporor's new clothes! Look at real aircraft and try and replicate that.

In reality the finish reproduced by these so called riveting tools would represent an overstressed airframe with pulled skin.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Why do people feel the inclination to put holes in an airframe and call them Rivets, they're NOT rivets, they're holes, Rivets fill holes.

Most airframe guys I know would shoot a rivet to be flush or within 5 thousandths of an inch in 1:1 scale - this would not even show up in 1/32nd scale!

This putting divots in the air frame's surface is the Emporor's new clothes! Look at real aircraft and try and replicate that.

In reality the finish reproduced by these so called riveting tools would represent an overstressed airframe with pulled skin.

I don't believe the OP asked for a lecture on what you believe his or anyone else's model should be finished like.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Hi guys, the title speaks itself. Trid to locate any kind of riveting on the wings and fuselage on the Bu 181 but no luck at all. Was it possible that the plane was empty of rivets? Only a few around the engine cowling. Any help is appreciated.

Themis

The aeroplane is made of wood, apart from some metal framework fuselage structure which is fabric covered. Finding rivets in it would not be lucky at all.

2 hours ago, tank152 said:

I don't believe the OP asked for a lecture on what you believe his or anyone else's model should be finished like.

He's welcome to put rivets into a wooden airframe, but if you come on a scale modelling website asking for help, scale modelling is what you are likely to get advice on

• Like 1

Yes the OP did not ask for a lecture/discussion on riveting models, just the Bu 181.

I must add that I have learnt something in the fact it was wood and fabric, so I thank those posters for that.

Julien