A transfuge from the Stuka GB. FINISHED AT LAST!

jean

Hi everybody,

the Stuka GB has just finished, and as usual I haven't manage to finish my build.

But this time I am only about a week short, so things are improving!!!

Here is a link to my thread in the Stuka GB, for the ones interested.

For @Ray_W I have not been successful in my quest for ammonia at our neighbors. The blasted thing was so flat that it could have been water.

BUT... there was a glass bottle marked Windolene, and upon opening it out of sheer curiosity, my olfactory system was put out of commission by the sheer power of ammonia coming out of the bottle!!! The poison must have been manufactured during Rhodesian days looking at the label, but it has not lost any power!

So the cockpit clear parts are already soaking in it, and we shall see tomorrow!

I really do pray it will deal with the Klir disaster.

Cheers.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 2

Hey JR,

Fantastic to see you here in WIP continuing with the build.  I will continue to follow and hopefully get some good news on stripping that Klir with that Windolene that might have its full potency. We'll see. I think, like all things, the latest formulas change. Somebody mentioned Lidl W5 window cleaner but I really don't think the latest concoction has Ammonia. Or,  possibly different country to country. Reminds me of Tamiya acrylic in the late Seventies. Brilliant stuff to brush paint. As we all know, not anymore.  

Ray

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

finally managed to sort (almost) everything out and gave the Stuka a coat of primer. Everything looks much tidier!

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 38

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 37

Next step, painting the RLM 65.

For your information, @Ray_W, it is now official. The South Africans are manufacturing Klir/Pledge fed on steroids... It has now been since last Monday that the two pieces of canopy have been bathing into an Ammonia-rich Windolene... and this has done bu..er all to the dry spots of Klir that have been marring the canopy!

The middle section is, I believe, past salvage. The gunner's canopy can be used, I am relieved to say. So I am left with no choice, but to use the open pilot canopy section, with its ridiculous foible... But as bad as its design is, I have at least an alternative.

So life is smiling and this kit is still really exciting!!!

Cheers.

JR

• Like 6

JR, sort of a bad news/good news story. The build is looking good though, that's all that counts, Ray

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Second that, and you still have the fun of masking the canopy. :whistle:

Hi Retired Bob,

re the canopy masking, I count myself lucky. Hell, it cannot be all bad!

Last Xmas I got the Top Drawings 54 on the Ju 87 B, and in it is a set of masks in 1/72 and 1/48.

I have never used pre-cut masks before, so I tested the front windscreen ones, and unbelievably the masks fit like a glove.

So it would seem that these masks were made with the Airfix Stuka in mind! I will keep on using them on the other clear parts, but I really hope I am right!

And thanks to you and @GREG DESTEC for the compliment on the primer.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Last Xmas I got the Top Drawings 54 on the Ju 87 B, and in it is a set of masks in 1/72 and 1/48.

Glad you have some help, the canopy and it's masking slowed my build.  I had the Eduard mask set but they had all the framing on the outside, when you look at photos of the real thing half the frames are on the inside. :unsure: I could either just use the Eduard masks or do it properly :shrug:  So I ended up cutting strips of masking tape and masking the inside and then using the Eduard set on the outside but modified so as not to cover where there were just the internal frames.  Fun, fun, fun.

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Glad you have some help, the canopy and it's masking slowed my build.  I had the Eduard mask set but they had all the framing on the outside, when you look at photos of the real thing half the frames are on the inside. :unsure: I could either just use the Eduard masks or do it properly :shrug:  So I ended up cutting strips of masking tape and masking the inside and then using the Eduard set on the outside but modified so as not to cover where there were just the internal frames.  Fun, fun, fun.

I am aware of the problem, but as the open Airfix canopy is such a disaster, I will have to mask the inside as well to deal with the framing of the fixed canopy section. As long as all the frames are there, I will forget that some should be on the interior. This is 1/72... and for this build, this is where I am drawing the line!

Thanks for the heads up.

JR

33 minutes ago, jean said:

Thanks for the heads up.

I would do exactly the same, I just thought I would explain the problem I had with the canopies, aircraft designers never think how difficult their creations will be to make models of. :whistle:

• Haha 1

49093482788_18448c0bbf_c.jpg

49263059582_52dbf20cab_c.jpg

I must be a masochist, I converted the Airfix 1/72 to an A model late last this year, made a new canopy masked with Tamiya tape, a sharp scalpel and patience, I found it quite therapeutic :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Hi @Marklo

your conversion must have been a huge amount of work! Wasn't there already a kit of the Anton on the market then?

You are to be congratulated for your dedication. Good on you!

And it does look good!

JR

Hi everybody,

Brush painted the first coat of RLM 65.

Quite happy with the result, but the good old Humbrol seldom disappoint.

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 39

Hopefully it is the finish line I can see at the end of the tunnel, and not an oncoming train!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Wasn't there already a kit of the Anton on the market then?

Yes but I had the Airfix kit in the stash and I enjoyed the conversion.

Ps desperately trying not to hijack the thread.

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1

On 18/04/2020 at 13:09, jean said:

Hi everybody,

Brush painted the first coat of RLM 65.

Quite happy with the result, but the good old Humbrol seldom disappoint.

Hopefully it is the finish line I can see at the end of the tunnel, and not an oncoming train!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.

JR

Keep it up, Jean, this build is looking excellent and very much worth finishing. (I missed the Stuka GB completely even though I was desperate to build one so top marks for getting a build even started). All the best. Mike 

Hi everybody,

a quick update on the Stuka.

Brush painted the second (and hopefully last) coat of RLM 65. So next step will be the masking of the underside to start with an overall coat of dark green on the upperside.

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 40

As you can see, most of the small, painful bits to paint have already been dealt with, so things should go fast once the painting of the airframe is over.

Cheers and happy modelling!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi everybody,

a quick update on the Stuka.

Hi JR, looking good. You're getting there! Ray

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Beemers,

having survived another nasty bout of malaria, I am back into the saddle in order to finish this Stuka.

Masking of the underside will be finished tomorrow and a first coat of RLM 71 will be brush painted on the top and sides. So a step closer to completion...

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 41

All going well, the decals will go on sometime next week.

Cheers and happy modelling!

JR

• Like 2

Hi Jean

I am sorry to read that you have been unwell, but it is good to know that you are now feeling well enough to get back to the bench.

Your Stuka is looking splendid, the masking of the underside looks quite a complex affair though. I look forward to seeing the RLM71 top colour going on.  

Both of you keep well and stay safe down there in Zim.

Regards

• Thanks 1

Hi everybody,

masking finished and first coat of RLM 71 brush painted. It is an old, very old pot of Aero Master acrylic paint (Nr 1024 for the curious ones!) I have had for..... a long time.

The look is messy, as usual, but the second coat will sort that out!

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 42

So the momentum is not lost.

Thanks for watching.

JR.

• Like 2

Well, after three coats of RLM 71, I am finally happy with the paint work. I am not really used to acrylics... but practice makes perfect.

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 43

So tomorrow the masking starts for the RLM 70...

Happy modelling to all of you.

JR

• Like 4

Hi Marklo,

I agree with you re the wide synthetic brush, but on a 1/72 Stuka I know the paint would go where I don't want it if I used too wide a brush,

The narrower one I use (see photo) seems fine and about right for the tortured shapes of the Stuka.

The airbrush will be for my next life.

Cheers and thanks for watching.

JR

Hi,

Started the masking on the left wing and brushed a first coat, this time of Humbrol 91 enamel, diluted to 20% with turpentine.

Will definitely need a second, and maybe a third coat, and the RLM 70 will get darker and stand out more.

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 44

I see the painting finished by the week end, so I am happy!

Cheers.

JR

• Like 3