Hi all

First boat in a long time. I had this finished OOB until I started trawling the site (pun intended) for painting inspiration and came across General Melchett's model of a few years ago. I put right what I could, so thanks to him and everyone else who contributed their knowledge in pointing out the kit's errors.  

The nameplate is homemade after I messed up the kit's. I'll make a proper base for it once I'm allowed out again, the piece of decking (garden variety) was all I had lying around...

49769366791_7fbf54f556_b.jpg

49769366651_56a3bb7db1_b.jpg

49769366496_2e602a84fa_b.jpg

49769693027_28d200edb0_b.jpg

49769366056_a833bfb64a_b.jpg

49769703642_c914eff7f4_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

J.A.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Hi J.A. very nice build, but if i may a few comments about the x-craft, this is not to detract from your build, so please dont take offence as none meant.

Heres a link http://rnsubs.co.uk/boats/subs/x-craft.html#prettyPhoto

X-5 to X-10 from all research where painted black upper surfaces and grey lower (standard RN submarine scheme for the time, as per Paul Kemps book Underwater Warriors, which details the X-craft colour schemes, all later x-craft were black all over, with the exception of the two used for the D-day landings which had a camo scheme on top..

There was no ariel wire from the scope to the tail, see video, this as you can see this would have fouled the rear hatch and entangled the divers.

As for rust etc, all photos show the craft to be pretty pristine, even those of them just prior to launch from their support ship, before carrying out Operation Source.

All the best Chris

• Like 2

8 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Hi J.A. very nice build, but if i may a few comments about the x-craft, this is not to detract from your build, so please dont take offence as none meant.

Heres a link http://rnsubs.co.uk/boats/subs/x-craft.html#prettyPhoto

X-5 to X-10 from all research where painted black upper surfaces and grey lower (standard RN submarine scheme for the time, as per Paul Kemps book Underwater Warriors, which details the X-craft colour schemes, all later x-craft were black all over, with the exception of the two used for the D-day landings which had a camo scheme on top..

There was no ariel wire from the scope to the tail, see video, this as you can see this would have fouled the rear hatch and entangled the divers.

As for rust etc, all photos show the craft to be pretty pristine, even those of them just prior to launch from their support ship, before carrying out Operation Source.

All the best Chris

No problem at all Chris, thanks for the info. I did read about the black paint job but decided to use artistic licence to go with something a bit more interesting. The rust was kept to above the surfaced water line, and having seen how quickly even modern cruise ships need to be repainted to cover it up I thought at least some on occasionally exposed surfaces was a reasonable assumption.

• Like 1

Lovely job Johnny, nice weathering and finish...glad to be of some help.

A cable appeared on X-24, Chris, following the Bergen mission (and still fitted to her at Gosport) ,purpose unknown (almost certainly not an aerial), it may have been a one off as I can't find any other images of an X-craft with this attachment. 

ce3729d52f10b6e299f7abc32e61ab0f.jpg

X-24 as she appears now with a modern day replacement cable.

IMG-2844.jpg

IMG-2862.jpg

Rear fitting shackle.

IMG-8971.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, general melchett said:

A cable appeared on X-24, Chris, following the Bergen mission (and still fitted to her at Gosport) ,purpose unknown (almost certainly not an aerial), it may have been a one off as I can't find any other images of an X-craft with this attachment. 

Cheers General, it looks like its a mooring line, as its not attached to the main rear lifting eye, there is a front line as well which is the towing cable (attached to the bow), which also doubled as a mooring line.

As you say not seen on any other X-craft?

Im tempted to get another and do the mods to build as X-24.

All the best Chris

• Thanks 1