1/72 Airfix Heron

Thanks again for the positive comments and remarks, much appreciated.

Really did enjoy making this one, and very happy with how it turned out, it was a long time in the planning process.  :)

B)

On 5/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, MacW said:

Now, that is modeling! As for "vintage": You can have vintage armchair, but certainly not a model. These are good, or bad. If one calls glueing together toy parts "vintage modeling", one's wrong. Frog kits, for example, are fantastic to make great replicas, putting much, much effort in what one plans to present. Your artistic work is surely modeling, not "vintage", but admirable!

Sorry, but you have completely lost me here. I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make, regarding my 'glueing together' of 'toy parts' in order to complete this model. Not entirely sure what FROG kits have to do with this build either, to be honest.  It could be just me, not fully understanding what is being stated, if so, I am sorry about that!      :shrug:

B)

Beautiful, just beautiful...

I've never seen this kit but seen enough old classic kits to know that you have done some serious modelling. I like this a lot🙂

Question to all younger Co-pilots: " What was the only four engined, single pilot aircraft ...?"

Cheers,

Antti

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Halifax, Lancaster, Stirling ... but I suspect DH 86 may have been in mind.  Consider Pe.8?

Aha! Yes .... I mis-interpreted 'single pilot' for 'single-crew' ....  maybe I should not be so hasty!  :D

B)

Nice model. To digress, I used to live (in 1960s) under flight path to Glasgow Airport. Can remember one day, around 1967, coming home mid-afternoon from school and watching a Heron (BEA I think) on approach. Then a  BEA Viscount appeared above and behind it and gradually overtook it on the approach path very close. The only very close near miss I’ve ever witnessed, I was transfixed and I never saw any reference to it in the press. That’s my memory of the Heron.

All of the accolades given above are well deserved. Many years ago I rode on one of these here in the United States but it had American engines (Lycoming or Continentals). Only rode on it one time and, in fact, after that flight I never saw the airplane or representative airplanes from that airline again. 

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Many years ago I rode on one of these here in the United States but it had American engines (Lycoming or Continentals). 

I know the ones you mean, they do look rather good with those engines fitted, actually.  Would make a neat conversion in model form!  :D

B)

• 1 year later...

Thanks again for the past comments.

We had our first Club competition for more than two years on Wednesday, (that length of time because of World events etc, Covid and such ....) at the Norfolk Scale Model Group, UK, (16/03/22) for all scale of aircraft, and I am very pleased to say that my 1/72 Airfix  DH 114 Heron was voted in First Place in that competition. Thanks to all those attending who voted. :yahoo:

51947335381_c19eef6937_o.jpg

B)

• Like 5

On 4/14/2020 at 12:52 AM, AMB said:

Excellent!  I have four Airfix Heron kits in my stash, three will be Queens Flight and the fourth BEA red square Srs.1 using Magna Models conversion & detail set. I am now encouraged to make a start!  Many thanks

Oi what about Heron flight...the admirals barge cuts a dash 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2022 at 10:44, Neil said:

Thanks again for the past comments.

We had our first Club competition for more than two years on Wednesday, (that length of time because of World events etc, Covid and such ....) at the Norfolk Scale Model Group, UK, (16/03/22) for all scale of aircraft, and I am very pleased to say that my 1/72 Airfix  DH 114 Heron was voted in First Place in that competition. Thanks to all those attending who voted. :yahoo:

51947335381_c19eef6937_o.jpg

B)

I can see why Neil! That was one classy and thoroughly absorbing build....and it was a de Havilland! What more can one say?!

I must have missed this the first time around Neil. You've done a first class job with this. It's beautifully built and finished.

I have a real soft spot for the Heron and it's always great to see one of these vintage Airfix kits get the TLC that they deserve.