1/72 Airfix Heron

Excellent!  I have four Airfix Heron kits in my stash, three will be Queens Flight and the fourth BEA red square Srs.1 using Magna Models conversion & detail set. I am now encouraged to make a start!  Many thanks

Edited by AMB

Superb work. For me, this build stands alongside Mike Grant's builds in the Airfix Build and Convert books. Taking an ancient, but basically sound old Airfix kit and turning it into an absolute jewel.

Simply stunning!

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive remarks, much appreciated . You probably have to  take into account that this model has genuinely been in the making for decades, from my perspective. I have been itching to make it.

I even have a pic of me exiting the aircraft, after we landed back at Norwich Airport at the end of our family holiday,  with a  1/72 OV-1 Mohawk, ( I think ...possibly, not sure?)  grasped in my grubby little hands, in white plastic, unpainted, which I had assembled while on holiday in Jersey.  Maybe a Frog kit, or Hasegawa ....? Who knows ....

The pic would be relevant in regards to this build, I guess, but after all this time .... pppffffttt ....I dont think I will post it ..... thanks!!!!!     Early 70's embarrassment, and all that .... :D

B)

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 10:31 PM, Jonners said:

I'd love to see that 70's pic, tbough!

Jon

Second thoughts, I will not allow myself to be totally embarased by the early 70's  (pic edited to protect the guilty ....)  but that does 'look' like a 1/72 OV-1 Mohawk to me .......  :D

49786323712_cc3585a74b_o.jpg

B)

• Like 4

One word.............SUPERB

I do remember putting one of these kits together in Singapore in the early 1970s as a departure from my normal fare of WWII aircraft and AFV Airfix and Frog kits. IIRC the box top had an aircraft landing on some remote landing strip next to a mining company but I may have imagined that. What you have done with the old Airfix kit (which I see is about to be re-issued) is truly outstanding........such attention to detail and I was not surprised (reading the WIP thread) to see that you have had so much interest in the resin set you produced to deliver a competition winning model.

I don't ever recall seeing a real de Havilland Heron but do remember a short trip in the BBMF Devon C.2, it's smaller cousin, to do an air to air photographic sortie with their Spitfire XIX way back in 1993.  

Well Done, Sir !       

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree with what Epeeman said - words cannot add to what has ready been said. A fantastic build from a master builder. 

Now, that is modeling! As for "vintage": You can have vintage armchair, but certainly not a model. These are good, or bad. If one calls glueing together toy parts "vintage modeling", one's wrong. Frog kits, for example, are fantastic to make great replicas, putting much, much effort in what one plans to present. Your artistic work is surely modeling, not "vintage", but admirable!