Delahaye 135 (Henri Chapron coach builder) by Heller 1/24 scale

10 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Very nice result Thierry! I vote for blue wheels with the white sidewall tyres ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you so much for your kind comment @JeroenS

3 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

The blue wheels would definitely be more bespoke - Andyย 

Thanks a lot, Andy for your vote :)

ย 

Well, all bets are onย ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Like 1

Going to be the opposite and say I think it would look best with the chrome wheels and without white walls (not really of fan of whitewalls to be honest). And if you want a really awful example of them, have a look on the Pistonheads story about this year's Festival of the Unexceptional - there's a very nice Fiat Panda on there apart from it having whitewalls :doh:

ย 

As for the missing indicator, I don't know if you've tried it but one thing I've always found (so far) which beats the carpet, or in this case wooden floor, monster is to lay a torch on the floor and sweep slowly from side to side - that will highlight every bit of relief including any small model parts unless it's disappeared into a crevice somewhere.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Going to be the opposite and say I think it would look best with the chrome wheels and without white walls (not really of fan of whitewalls to be honest). And if you want a really awful example of them, have a look on the Pistonheads story about this year's Festival of the Unexceptional - there's a very nice Fiat Panda on there apart from it having whitewalls :doh:

ย 

As for the missing indicator, I don't know if you've tried it but one thing I've always found (so far) which beats the carpet, or in this case wooden floor, monster is to lay a torch on the floor and sweep slowly from side to side - that will highlight every bit of relief including any small model parts unless it's disappeared into a crevice somewhere.

ย 

Every opinion counts, @Spinyย :)

Mine isn't yetย formed...

ย 

I tried this method countless times and managed sometimes to find the part which thought it was a flea .. but not this time.

Fortunately I had spare parts and all has sorted out well ย for the second left indicator :)

ย 

ย 

Magnificent work. the details added here at the last are incredible.ย 

ย 

I do know the answer to the "great wheel-tire debate" but hate to spoil the fun for everyone elseย ย :nod:-----------yeah, rightย :banghead:

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

Afternoon gentlemen :)

ย 

Well, I've been able to spray quickly and roughly some mat white paint on a tire, and have made 2 comparisons:

- No whitewall and chrome wheels ย vs Whitewall and chrome wheels

- No whitewall and chrome wheels ย vs Whitewall and dark blue wheels

ย 

At the first sight I can say that I don't like Whitewall and blue wheels

ย 

51992648470_dc16bd72f9_c.jpg ย ย 51991098332_8fbbe40321_c.jpg

ย 

I'm hesitating for whitewall or not with chrome wheels.

ย 

Look at this picture of a Delahaye 135 Cabriolet 1949 Guillorรฉ coachbuilder (source: Histoires de Carrossiersย ), which has the same livery than mine:

ย 

51992169583_f12eb0166a_b.jpg

ย 

She looks great like this, doesn't she?

ย 

The matter is that I've reviewed all photographs available on the net of Delahaye 135, and made the following observation:

- Among 34 Delaheye 135 Chapron 1938, only 5 have whitewall tires

- Among 30 Delahaye 135 having whitewall tires, only 5 are 1938's ones

- The 25 others are from the 40's and 50's

ย 

Verdict:

- To be closest as possible with the real, no whitewall wheels ย !

ย 

See you very soon for the final :)

ย 

• Like 6

It was bound to happen sooner or later, and after all, after 2 years (give or take 4 days), it was time to end it !

I had built this kit ย in my youth and I didn't remember it being so difficult to assemble...I probably wasn't as careful and challenging as I am today.

ย 

The wheels are mounted, as well as the hubcaps, the body has been cleaned, waxed and polished.
I thought I didn't leave any thread of the fluffy cotton cloth provided with this wax after this work, but as you'll see in the RFI section, the merciless camera revealed some, especially on the right front fender.
Now that this antique beauty is in its display case, I don't touch it anymore !

She gave me enough trouble as it is!

ย 

Some pictures to finish this thread:

ย 

51992772524_1162baa5c8_b.jpg ย ย 51992772669_2f6a507df9_b.jpg

ย 

Thousand thanks to all my followers, likes, contributors for supporting, advising and encouraging me throughout this adventureย ๐Ÿ˜Ž

ย 

I invite you to visit the RFI section:

ย 

• Like 9

ย 

This has been a stunning project to follow along watching you tackle each and every problem and detail. Great workmanship together with outstanding paintwork has resulted in a superb replica thanks for sharing.

ย 

ย  ย Stay safeย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย Roger

• Thanks 1

You made the right decision with the wheels and tyres. It's been a pleasure to watch this come together, as you said it feels like it has been ongoing for a very long time.

ย 

Above all it has confirmed that this is a kit that I will enjoy via this build and leave well alone should I be tempted to add it to my stashย ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 1