Delahaye 135 (Henri Chapron coach builder) by Heller 1/24 scale

M. Crazy Crank?   Bonjour.  Have you been able to work on this fine project at all?  Or have you heeded the siren call of the Bugatti, M.B. or Talbot Lago Record and left this poor little Delahey😢 lost and lonely in a dark, dank corner of  your châteaus  lower storage cellars?  🥺... Just kidding.  But it has been a long time😁

Au revoir, prends soin de toi and enjoy yourself doing whatever you are doing. 

1 hour ago, Prop Duster said:

M. Crazy Crank?   Bonjour.  Have you been able to work on this fine project at all?  Or have you heeded the siren call of the Bugatti, M.B. or Talbot Lago Record and left this poor little Delahey😢 lost and lonely in a dark, dank corner of  your châteaus  lower storage cellars?  🥺... Just kidding.  But it has been a long time😁

Au revoir, prends soin de toi and enjoy yourself doing whatever you are doing. 

Thanks you so much Steve, for resurrecting this poor dusty Lady 😂

To answer your question: No, she's not definitely abandoned ...the truth is I was stuck on the following problem: "how lacing the wheels in a simple and not too painful way ?"

Going on thinking to find a solution, I needed to relax, and I began the MB 300SL, that I imagined I was able to work quickly on ! ...building it OOB for instance !!

Pity, my "scratch-builder" demons won the battle again....you know the rest !

Once my MB achieved, I put this Delahaye on the bench back to finish it...scratchoholic promise :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening chaps :)

I think I've found the way (or at least  the beginning of the way) to make 72 spoked wheels for my Delahaye 😎

I don't know how this will result after 3D printing, but I've drawn with Fusion 360 what I want to get, and I can't resist to share my work with you:

51088488497_5f5042c99d_b.jpg   51088945573_3c8702c636_b.jpg

51088945553_e3c106b379_b.jpg   51088488487_d603883029_b.jpg

I've to add the valve and perhaps the nuts  and then let's go for a test print, and probably for a lot of corrections to do then...

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 5

Well, the drawings and projections look GOOD! All one piece.... 

It will be interesting to see what the printer can make of it. Probably take a few tests to get things just right - it seems like this 3D stuff is a complete hobby in itself. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the Delahaye progress again 👍

• Like 1

Good morning guys :)

After quite 9 hours of 3D printing, here is what I got, just after a IPA long wash:

51089316749_b0e02a67cb_b.jpg

As you could see, I've been well advised to print 8 wheels, because it' allows me to see where are the issues/

- 1 is totally failed, the supports having broken...

- 5  others have a defect at the lowest point of the part, because a lack of supports

- 2  others have issues on some spokes, not printed or partially

51089785858_25dd9dc40c_b.jpg   51089316714_81355452a0_b.jpg

51089243831_9cb9a66498_b.jpg

But I'm already very happy with these results, very promising for next steps, since I know now the treatment to apply:

- on the drawings: increase the diameter of the spokes from 0.30 to 0.35 mm

- and for the slicing with Chitubox:  add some supports at the bottom

- cross my fingers 

So a new print is on the way, we've to wait 9 hours before seeing the result.

Wish me luck :)

• Like 4

Quick test fit on the tyre :

51090093085_68feaf41a4_b.jpg

And a little merciless comparison between my future wheels and those of the kit:

51089356769_db91015d1c_b.jpg[

Stay tuned for next episode :)

• Like 10

Second 3D print after some corrections on the Chitubox files, and on the  Fusion drawings

I've printed 4 wheels with 0.3 mm spokes and 4 with 0.35 mm ones

The verdict, after a 9 hours deliberation is the following:  Not too bad, not excellent ! Author guilty ☹️

- Among the 4 wheels 0.3 mm spokes  : 4 have no bottom defect, but 3 have spokes broken or incomplete, and the other a little defect on 2 spokes

- Among the 4 wheels 0.35 mm spokes: 4 have the spokes perfect or so, and 4 have still a little defect at the bottom of the rim, which is much less visible after a little sanding, especially as this is located at the inner side of the wheel

Let's see for yourself (some resin dust remain between some spokes, which will be cleaned later)

51090853413_3ec7c49d21_b.jpg   51091118190_88cf5302aa_b.jpg

51090395972_b4c1433c83_b.jpg

I'm not so far of the truth:

-  0.35 mm spokes

- and much more supports at the bottom

I would have preferred, of course, to go on with 0.3 mm, even 0.2 or 0.25, which were more accurate, and visually better.

0.35 mm, at 1:24 scale is a little too thick, as it would give 8,4 mm on a 1:1 car, but it's an inevitable  compromise .

So, let's go for a third print, this night :)

Stay tuned for next steps 😉

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Now you really are on to something. 

This is a fantastic skill and facility that you have a grip on! 

Are they reasonably strong for handling and fitting the tyres?? 

Thanks for the compliment and encouragement :)

And yes, the wheels are strong enough..Just take a look at my previous post :)

17 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

Just take a look at my previous post :)

Oh yea I saw it OK. I was just wondering if it was a difficult and delicate job, or are the print items reasonable to handle and work with. 

Not that you have any difficulties with "difficult and delicate jobs"....!! 

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Oh yea I saw it OK. I was just wondering if it was a difficult and delicate job, or are the print items reasonable to handle and work with. 

Not that you have any difficulties with "difficult and delicate jobs"....!! 

They are reasonable to handle and work with but it's a delicate job :)

For instance, installing the wheel in the tyre is easy, but get it out difficult without a risk of spoking it.

Good morning Gentlemen.

Adventures in 3D printing !

The result of this third print was:

- 5 wheels failed with 1 or 2 spokes missing 

- 1 wheel with 1 spoke too thin, fortunately on the inner row of spokes, so, quite invisible

- 2 wheels perfect

I assume this issue is due to a defective zero leveling.

Indeed, I should have "re-zeroed" my printer after 5 long printing session, and I did not.

Tonight, when the last print begun, I heard the machine grunt when the plate touched the zero...

I've currently 7 wheels, of which 2 are perfect, 4 good and 1 usable
I'll start a new print next night.

• Sad 1

Well done, Thierry. To me they look fine. Bit surprised that the spokes wouldn’t break during fitting of the tires.

This stuff is so very brittle.

1 hour ago, Pouln said:

Well done, Thierry. To me they look fine. Bit surprised that the spokes wouldn’t break during fitting of the tires.

This stuff is so very brittle.

You mustn't cure them under UV light for a too long time

• Like 2

I've 3D printed a lot of wheels during this long week end, and I've now 23 wheels, 16 perfect and 6 good plus 1 correct.

I've just achieve to prime some wheels with Zero Paint primer, and the result looks good.

[51096843591_de5be257c8_b.jpg   51096843501_cf9a38d3d5_b.jpg

A slight sanding on the oil has to be done before the final coats, as suggest the merciless last picture 🤔

I've now to decide the color which I use to paint them.

I can't get it wrong because, once painted, if the color doesn't seem convenient, or the painted job isn't good, it will be too late for the wheel: it couldn't support  the cleaning process before re-painting.

Fortunately, I've a lot of spare wheels, but that is no reason to waste them.

Reasonably, I think a good choice is to paint them the same color than the bodywork...at this time, for those luxury cars, it was often the case.

However, on the net, we can see some Delahaye 135 with chromed wheels: it seems that it concern generally restored cars. But I'm not sure...

So, the wheels could also  be painted color "inbox steel"..

What a dilemma !

Your opinions, my friends ?

• Like 6

Looks good, what made you decide not to wire them? I was contemplating printing some for my Alfa with just holes that would serve as indicators that could be drilled out. I’ve turned them from Ali in the past for aircraft and indexing the holes is always the hard part. 

great effort though. 

26 minutes ago, nick said:

Looks good, what made you decide not to wire them? I was contemplating printing some for my Alfa with just holes that would serve as indicators that could be drilled out. I’ve turned them from Ali in the past for aircraft and indexing the holes is always the hard part. 

great effort though. 

Thanks @nick

Just because it's a hard and painful job at this scale, for my old eyes and hands, and because I'm actually way too lazy for that.

It's also a challenge I'm not ready for, but...for my next 1:12 models, for sure, it will be done :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

What a dilemma !

Yes, tricky isn't it....? 

Looking at the black examples on the race cars for example, I think visually keeps them looking thin.... 

The chrome makes more of a feature of them so possibly looks bigger, ie thicker spokes..... 

But having taken the trouble to make them you may want to make sure that they are noticed, and especially if you want people to count 72 of them!! 

I was going to suggest that you could do both and compare, but of course you only have 4 tyres I guess.! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhilX said:

A very nice work ... 🙂

Mine is still in box ... 

I wait to be able to do acceptable wire wheels.

Thanks so much Phil for the nice comment
If you own a 3D resin printer, I can send you the *.stl file and my setting for this print :)

3 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Thanks so much Phil for the nice comment
If you own a 3D resin printer, I can send you the *.stl file and my setting for this print :)

Oh, thank you.

I didn't think about that.

My idea was to do that in the old way, whith nylon fishing wire.

But before, I have a lot of kits to finish.

And then, my first atempt for wire wheels will be an MG TC which is much more simple : 48 spokes only.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Evening gentlemen :)

Since my bodywork job on the Mercedes is stuck for 2 days, I've taken the opportunity to paint the 3D printed wire wheels of the Delahaye 135.

As I'd 2 sets of 4, I've painted one set with Molotov Chrome, and the other with the dark blue color Tamiya TS 55 I've planed to used to paint the fenders and the spare wheel cover

This blue is very dark, quite black.

51240630176_7514947952_b.jpg   51241684185_5bfd29c7a9_b.jpg

Which one do you prefer ? (I know that's a vicious question because to determine your choice, I should show you the whole painted bodywork)...It's too early, of course !

I'm also going to modify the carpeting of the cabin, much too flashy, replacing the flocking powder, if it's possible, by dark blue adhesive velvet.

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 3