Delahaye 135 (Henri Chapron coach builder) by Heller 1/24 scale

Sorry to hear about your father. My condolences. Take your time.

At these times family is much more important than the Delahaye.

• Thanks 1

Good morning my friends :)

No progress on this build since my father have passed away, but a dry fit this morning to have and idea about  how it will come together:

50053619582_83959b067b_b.jpg   50053619567_28a11f79a3_b.jpg

50052798123_767fc9523a_b.jpg   50052798113_47c897d263_b.jpg

As you'll have noticed, I've put a spare wheel, instead of a wheel cover. In fact, I would like to really install it, but under the wheel cover, because this latter must be installed too, as it shows the license plate.

The issue is that the wheel is too much protruding because the spare wheel compartment isn't deep enough !

Consequently, I've to think about how to proceed and, at the moment, I see 2 options:

-1/  Make a fake spare wheel: I've only to decrease its thickness, cutting it by the tyre centre, and adjusting its profile in order to get a less protruding wheel

-2/ Keep the spare wheel as is, and modify the compartment in order to get it deeper: and this will be very difficult to manage without running the risk to break the fragile bond between the body shell and the front fenders

If anyone is seeing how to solve this second point, or has other options for my goal, I'm obviously happy to hear them !

Meanwhile,  I've planned to work a bit on the steering column, so stay tuned for the next steps :)

• Like 4

Good morning to you too, Thierry.

Personally, I think your first option is probably the best. As you will know, invasive surgery of any kind poses a potential risk, so why risk it???

Besides, if the wheel thinning doesn't go to plan, it's hidden anyway...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

Good morning to you too, Thierry.

Personally, I think your first option is probably the best. As you will know, invasive surgery of any kind poses a potential risk, so why risk it???

Besides, if the wheel thinning doesn't go to plan, it's hidden anyway...

Thanks a lot for this comment, BUT, the goal is to put it in its compartment, hidden by the wheel cover, AND to have the possibility to show it, as for my Talbot Lago Record, if you remember !

• Like 1

Good afternoon, Gentlemen :)

Steering wheel and column modifications, now !

Steering wheel first :

The steering wheel isn't realistic because the reliefs on the inside of the crown, which allow to handle firmly the steering wheel, are missing.

I know a French modeler, still crazier than me, who add on the inside periphery of the steering wheel, lilliputian spheres to simulate those reliefs 🤪

I don't owe the needed hardware to do that, and haven't the skill nor patience  to do it !

So, another method...

As you know, I bought 3 kits of the Talbot Lago Record, so I've a lot of spare parts.

And particularly a steering wheel, whose outer diameter il 19.08 mm,  while the Delahaye's one is 18.3 mm.

This difference is negligible.

And it has the advantage to have those famous inside reliefs.

On the other end however, the centre with four branches of this Talbot Steering wheel is frankly different from the Delahaye's one.

Therefore, a bit of surgery has been necessary:

50053417623_c34b43d8a1_b.jpg   50054243892_a2ca6735be_b.jpg

50053995611_aae6c7acd4_c.jpg   50053417403_aaa2f6a7ef_c.jpg

Now It's time to take a little nap, see you soon, chaps :)

• Like 6

Good evening Gentlemen :)

As you know, my father passed away quite 2 weeks ago.

I was already very tired when he got sick, and finally I've been put off work by my doctor on June 16th, till July 5th....Not only because of my burn-out (really), but also because of chest pains.

After some investigations, it appears that it would be possible that I have a coronary insufficiency !, as my 2 grand-fathers, and as all my father's siblings !

So, tomorrow morning, I'll have a coronary angiogram 🥴, for the second time (the first one, 8 years ago, was quite correct).

This to explain you why I'm not very productive actually.

Nevertheless, I did some self-motivation this evening, and I've went on the modifications of the steering column. Not a big job, but a funny one, for sure, with the lathe, files, and my jeweler's saw.

The Heller kit provides a plastic part which is supposed to represent the steering column, and some switches, as the command for Cotal pre-selective gearbox (on the left), and on the right the commands for lights and klaxon. 

Hereunder, the photography of this part, and below,  the real one, showed on several pictures :

50062235128_e03b44df1c_c.jpg

50053417828_6f08b56404_c.jpg   50053417863_73edd23732_c.jpg

So, I've decided, even if finally this will be absolutely invisible, to scratch my own steering column and the switches.

Let's begin by the left one, which command the Cotal gearbox:

The switch, at 1/24scale, is 8.5 mm long, and, as I've planned to thread it in the steering column (which will be scratched in a 2 mm brass tube), I've added a 1 mm pin on its end

So, using a 3 mm outer diameter brass rod that I put in my lathe, I've turned a 9.5 mm tiny part:

- 1 mm cylindrical part 0.8 mm outer diameter, then

- 7 mm slightly conically turned section

- 1.5 mm cylindrical end section

On this last cylindrical end, I've engraved  with my jeweler saw (with a 0.3 mm wide saw blade) 2 grooves, to figure the 2 vertical sections of the "H" (which is in reality  the way to follow by the switch to change the gears)

The horizontal bar of the "H" while be made later on, with the milling machine, with a 0.3 mm drill bit (or several bits, if they break during the process)

And actually, I've got that:

50062792216_1092a18126_c.jpg   50063048597_8898e3748a_c.jpg

50063048832_6db5a32933_c.jpg   50062235163_c34d2e1d8c_c.jpg

Stay tuned if you like for the next steps :)

• Like 7

That's a very nice little part! Sorry to hear about your health troubles and all the best for tomorrow. Better keep a good eye on the old ticker!

• Thanks 1

Good morning Gentlemen :)

Still a bit tired after my hard yesterday, but back to my bench !

And I go on the switch which commands the Cotal gearbox...

You remember that I've already carved at the end of the switch the 2 vertical  lines of the H (the way that follows the lever to change gear pre-selection).

It remained to carve the horizontal line in between, to finalize the H, and to drill a 0.3 mm hole at the center of the H in order to place the lever rod.

These 2 operations have been made with the milling machine, using, first a 0,3 mm drill bit, over 0.6 mm depth, and then, only by changing the drill bit for a 0.4 one, to drill over 0.3 mm.

Obviously, to drill exactly at the center of the horizontal line of the H, I've worked under magnifying glasses with a strong lighting.

My very tiny part has been place in the 3-jaw chuck of there rotary table, itself being fixed on the cross-table of the milling machine.

The result, pretty good (the H is a bit over scaled), hereunder, on the left, immediatly after milling, and on the right after having accentuated the carving with Black Panel Line Accent Color:

50068035056_121cb00b96_b.jpg   50068292877_8615036def_b.jpg

See you soon for the fabrication of the lever and its knob :)

• Like 8

As I wrote a few minutes ago, lever fabrication:

On the lathe another time:

-  starting from a 3 mm brass rod

- reducing its diameter to 0.3 mm over 2 mm length

- then to 0,65 mm approx. over quite 1 mm length

-  and finally cutting this wider end with finishing tool...

to get a tiny stuff close enough to the real:

50068163576_7be4606988_b.jpg

50068422072_e9de440996_c.jpg   50067608418_7b82c91ee9_c.jpg

The knob shape ended conical of course, but with the final drop of paint, it will be invisible !

I'll move now on the fabrication of right switches.... more complicated 🥴

• Like 10

Evening chaps :)

Sorry for being late, but I've spent my afternoon applying for my retirement pension 🤑🤥😪, an important task for me.

Back to the bench this evening, I go on with my steering column...

The micro lilliputian lever has been stuck temporarily on a piece of masking tape, in order not to loose it.

And I've soldered the left switch on the 2 mm brass rod which  I intend to use to make the new steering column.

The result is pretty good imho:

50069775282_6bd86cbe0d_c.jpg   50069520686_dec8ac207f_c.jpg

50069775272_a240091551_c.jpg

I MUST now make the right switch and solder it on the steering column before, either painting the whole set, either nickel plating it...I'm still wondering !

Stay tuned if you like and thanks for watching :)

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

That is gorgeous! I wish I had access to a lathe and milling machine (and the skill to use them half as well as you).

Thank you so much, @johnlambert for you kind words, but, frankly, I'm a beginner in using these tools....your mentors should rather be PROPELLER and Roy Vd M, for example...

In French, we say:" Comme on connaît ses saints, on les honore" (untranslatable in English )

If you prefer: Let us all honour those who really deserve it !

• Like 1