RC-135 Airseeker/Rivet Joint (1/72 scale)

5 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

So the CFM56 resin engines sat too low? I have the AMT RC135V and planning on getting the combat conversions set to build it as an RC135W. I had wondered if using a KC135R kit might be easier as it already has the CFM56 engines in lighter weight plastic.

Beautiful model!  It's possible that the CC engines sit too low.  I have not built this one with the F-108s yet, but I do know that the dihedral is insufficient, which may be the crux of the problem.  I drafted a WIP thread on how to fix that by scribing and bending the inner wings upward, and adjusting the kit's wing spar.

11 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

So the CFM56 resin engines sat too low? I have the AMT RC135V and planning on getting the combat conversions set to build it as an RC135W. I had wondered if using a KC135R kit might be easier as it already has the CFM56 engines in lighter weight plastic.

It is more a case of the incorrect dihedral portrayed with this kit, it should be 7 degrees like the tail plane.

There is a great thread by @TheyJammedKenny!  on the forum about how to fix it. I can't find it at the moment as the forum is spitting up an error everytime I try to search for it.

EDIT: OK did not see Alex's reply before I posted this.

15 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful model!  It's possible that the CC engines sit too low.  I have not built this one with the F-108s yet, but I do know that the dihedral is insufficient, which may be the crux of the problem.  I drafted a WIP thread on how to fix that by scribing and bending the inner wings upward, and adjusting the kit's wing spar.

I can't seem to find your thread?

3 hours ago, junglierating said:

Good stuff hope you have a big house.

Just wish the dope shop ( the real one) would put ROYAL AIR FARCE above the cheat line....it just doesnt look right ....only my opinion though...i dont like Boris J Voyager...a lotvof people do ....anyway BZ 👍

Glad to see that someone else shares my misgivings about the huge ROYAL AIR FORCE Logo on an otherwise very smart looking aircraft. I simply don't get the rationale behind it when you compare it with the likes of the (standard) Voyager.

Still my gripe takes nothing away from my admiration for an excellent and well presented model, Rob.

Well Done, Sir !

• Like 1

Lovely model,...... rubbish scheme! You`ve built a beauty there and nice to see it in British markings,....... but just what were the RAF thinking? Looks like a scheme dreamed up by an American contracter on a Friday afternoon,....... trying to make a USAF scheme fit a British aircraft. Low viz roundels and that huge USAF style RAF title,...... it is neither one thing nor the other,.....  part high viz,.... part low viz with a bit of USAF thrown in,..... reminds me of ferry markings,............. BUT,......... your model is a superb rendition of what the RAF apparently wanted. Nice one. 

Edited by tonyot

I had a look back through and found the thread. Could ideally have done with a video or a few more pics. I'm a bit out of practice, but I get the guist and you've done an excellent job! From what I've seen, the CFM56s do sit low, primarily because they airframe was never designed to carry them. 

6 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

I had a look back through and found the thread. Could ideally have done with a video or a few more pics. I'm a bit out of practice, but I get the guist and you've done an excellent job! From what I've seen, the CFM56s do sit low, primarily because they airframe was never designed to carry them. 

Thanks, Whitewolf!  I'll consider doing a video.  On this aircraft (and all other -135 variants), the wingtips should rise to the level of the cockpit when viewed nose-on.  If they don't, then the dihedral is inadequate.  I think there should be at least 4 scale feet (maybe more) beneath the outboard F108s when the model is sitting on the ground.  I've built the KC-135A model, and even with the little J-57s, it looks "off."  Sorry to hog the board.  

11 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

"Correcting that -135 dihedral" October 31 in Work in Progress - Aircraft.  

Unfortunately, I seem unable to link to it right now.  

Before the last forum update it was a lot easier to share threads/posts, developers love to bury useful stuff like that in the name of progress.

• Thanks 1