RC-135 Airseeker/Rivet Joint (1/72 scale)

That had to have taken a LOT of work. Beautiful result! The AMT '135 series of kits are known for problems with the wings sagging over time. Did you do anything to beef up the wings and, if so, what method did you use. I have three of these kits to be built and am still trying to figure out the best way to strengthen the wings.

• Like 1

I have built two of them. What I did to the wings was I epoxied two brass rods along the entire length of the wings. It helped stiffen up the wing pretty good. I also glued the two bottom halves together, then the top to try and reduce the bottom seam on the wing as much as possible.

Edited by GRIM REAPER
  • Like 1

Very fine build of an intriguing aircraft. It looks like it fell together flawlessly, but these conversions take extreme fettling and reserves of patience I find. Congrats!

• Like 1

Wonderful conversion of a KC-135 Rob Probert! Although I have to admit my first thought when seeing it, it reminded me of chipmunk stuffing itself for winter. Beautifully done Sir!

• Like 1

excellent work, it´s not easy work with resin conversion so you are very skillful to achieve thos result. IMHO only miss some weathering (minimal) 

well done again

cheers

• Like 1

Excellent job!   First time I have seen this modelled. Now the big question - where do you put it now it's finished?  I have a Heller Boeing 707 in my stash, but don't want to store it in the attic in a box when built, as my cabinets are stuffed! 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 1:26 PM, SAT69 said:

That had to have taken a LOT of work. Beautiful result! The AMT '135 series of kits are known for problems with the wings sagging over time. Did you do anything to beef up the wings and, if so, what method did you use. I have three of these kits to be built and am still trying to figure out the best way to strengthen the wings.

I didn't reinforce the wings and have just relied on the spars provided in the kit. Hopefully the resin engines won't cause it to sag over time.

On 4/13/2020 at 10:25 PM, Bangseat said:

Very fine build of an intriguing aircraft. It looks like it fell together flawlessly, but these conversions take extreme fettling and reserves of patience I find. Congrats!

The AMT kit itself wasn't the best fitting model I've ever built, and the resin parts weren't flawless in terms of fit but nothing was unmanageable. The only real challenge was the fact the engines sat too low and I had to do some trimming of the pylons to get the correct ground clearance. 

On 4/13/2020 at 11:56 PM, Shashman said:

Wow, very cool. Good job on the conversion.

So where will you display such a large model??

It is indeed quite large. I have a purpose built out-building for my collection.

On 4/14/2020 at 2:47 AM, IvanVasili said:

Eyecather. And big. Panel lines might be a little.... accentuated... maybe?

All RAF RC-135s appear glossy and spotless, therefore highlighting the panel lines is the last thing a model of this nature needed. Just my opinion of course, but I'm not one to do things just because it's the done-thing.

Thanks for the interest,

Rob

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

So the CFM56 resin engines sat too low? I have the AMT RC135V and planning on getting the combat conversions set to build it as an RC135W. I had wondered if using a KC135R kit might be easier as it already has the CFM56 engines in lighter weight plastic.