HO-OO Basic Barn & Forge +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Washes after lunch - crumpets I think...

Snap Steve. That's what Mrs N and I are having, a wash and crumpets. We have been out in the garden this morning, the plan was to paint the shed, but on closer inspection WE decided that the old flaking paint had to come off first. And what do you know it was lunchtime and still no paint on. :fraidnot: :) 

• Sad 1

Hi Steve,

I've been locked up safe in a cupboard under the stairs for a week and have only just come out as I was getting hungry. Talk of your crumpets has got my mouth watering. Sorry to read of your broken ribs. I can empathise having broken one once. That was bad enough. I was a professional balloon-blower-upper' at the time and I just wasn't up to it. I hope yours are getting better.

Anyway.... it's great to see you in the diorama forum knocking some buildings together. They maybe small, but they look rather nice. Looking at the colour of the stonework I'd call that pretty much Dark Earth, which is what I used/am using as my base coat on my ruined farmhouse.  With my building still on the go after a couple of years,I've grown a bit sick of Dark Earth, thinking that perhaps I should have gone down a greyer route, but seeing your buildings has reinvigorated my belief that 'brown' was the right way to go. I look forward to the weathering process.

BTW, personally I'd have taken latex moulds of the walls before assembly so I could cast more buildings in plaster.

Stay safe.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve,

I've been locked up safe in a cupboard under the stairs for a week and have only just come out as I was getting hungry. Talk of your crumpets has got my mouth watering. Sorry to read of your broken ribs. I can empathise having broken one once. That was bad enough. I was a professional balloon-blower-upper' at the time and I just wasn't up to it. I hope yours are getting better.

Anyway.... it's great to see you in the diorama forum knocking some buildings together. They maybe small, but they look rather nice. Looking at the colour of the stonework I'd call that pretty much Dark Earth, which is what I used/am using as my base coat on my ruined farmhouse.  With my building still on the go after a couple of years,I've grown a bit sick of Dark Earth, thinking that perhaps I should have gone down a greyer route, but seeing your buildings has reinvigorated my belief that 'brown' was the right way to go. I look forward to the weathering process.

BTW, personally I'd have taken latex moulds of the walls before assembly so I could cast more buildings in plaster.

Stay safe.

Rearguards,

Badder

Good Afternoon Sir - It's good to hear from you & yes - the crumpets were amazing - with a nice cup of tea to wash all that greasy best butter down ;)

I'm having a good bit of fun with these - hardly masterpieces - but I was in that dark place that many of us know so well - where nothing gets done & it is easy to feel that you may never model again.

Anyway - I'm in a brighter place now.  Anyway I've made some more progress on the barn so here is a little update...

BARN

I got the gloss coat on earlier - to allow me to do some washing...

BARN046.jpg

BARN047.jpg

It didn't take long to dry in the bright sunshine streaming through the window.  As you can see the hinges & retaining bar have been painted - a little 'toy like' - but these things are only small.

Anyway it was a light grey wash for the roof first...

BARN049.jpg

After this had dried - which only takes a few minutes I gave it a scrub with a sponge...

BARN050.jpg

It's kind of unified & toned down the 3 colour roof.  I did the same grey wash on the whitewashed planking - do dull it down...

BARN051.jpg

BARN052.jpg

Last up wash a dirty dark wash on the stones & doors - back & front...

BARN054.jpg

BARN055.jpg

I'm just doing a similar job on the forge & I'll pop back soon with the results - nearly there now.

• Like 5

OK - we are on the final leg...

FORGE

I noticed the chimney stack needed some work - so popped in some neat black....

FORGE039.jpg

Then it was on with the glass varnish...

FORGE040.jpg

FORGE041.jpg

After this dried I washed the roof in the same grey wash as the barn - I like the result to be honest...

FORGE042.jpg

Then finally a black wash for the stone work & pointing...

FORGE043.jpg

FORGE046.jpg

FORGE044.jpg

FORGE045.jpg

So I think it's matt varnish time & we are done - catch yer later - Steve.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

They look fabulous Steve. Oh! and some good news, you have got the contract for our shed. :lol:

Thanks John - I'll be right over - I hope I don't get stopped on the way - as it's certainly an 'essential' job...

Right - the matt varnish is on - so I'm calling these done...

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

finish4.jpg

Whoops - nearly forgot the scale shots & I'll be beggared if I can find a penny...

IMG-6987.jpg

IMG-6986.jpg

Thanks to everyone who popped in - it has cheered me up enormously.

Now I'm off for another rummage through the stash - whilst the mood is upon me - Steve

• Like 7

• BIG X changed the title to Basic Barn & Forge +++COMPLETED+++

Marvelous. A tour de force. Encore. mange tout.  Just some of the words that won't appear on the front of tomorrows newspapers.

As for my opinion, I think you've cracked it, Lad. They look great. The weathering on the doors makes the barn. And I love the horseshoe on the forge!

• Like 1

Great stuff Steve, perfect little miniatures. The barn is particularly nice with the contrasting wood paneling, doors and stone. I was going to say it's a shame the forge doesn't have the same paneling, but then realised Health and Safety might have been an issue.

Damn, I read your quote of my post and those crumpets have got my mouth watering again!

TC,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• BIG X changed the title to HO-OO Basic Barn & Forge +++COMPLETED+++