Suggestions for King Tiger kit

dandove

I am planning to return to modelling after a gap of over 40 years! I am thinking in terms of a King Tiger. Does anybody have any suggestions? I prefer larger to smaller but will consider any size. My main interest is in the Eastern front so I would prefer a kit with markings et cetera for this theatre. Many thanks.

2 hours ago, dandove said:

My main interest is in the Eastern front so I would prefer a kit with markings et cetera for this theatre. Many thanks.

I would say buy a 1/35 Tiger II that suits your pocket and go to Star decals for your markings as the choice they have is crazy i'm sure you would be able to find something to tickle your eastern front fetish :giggle: normally under a tenner a sheet and cover multiple schemes for the same theatre.

http://star-decals.net/

If you want a little smaller consider ye the 1/48 Tamiya model available both with "Porsche" Krupp turret

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/32539king_tiger/index.htm

and "Henschel" production turret

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/32536production_turret/index.htm

There are plenty of accessories available though decals are not as all encompassing as in 1/35, I'd buy a metal barrel for certain.

I last build King Tiger Henschel from Meng. Very nice kit for reasoneable price. Meng offer for it an interior kit too. And Dragon isn' t too bad kit. I build both. When you can Porsche turret (initial) you can look too for Takom Initial production - here was a few first machines without zimmerit paste. All tanks with Porsche turret from later time have zimmerit. And with Zimmerit make models Dragon, Takom(das Werk)& Hobbyboss..and decals a.m. zimmerit offer Meng. Tamiya is old kit, i think all newest kits are better-and often with the same price. All 1/35. King Tiger offer too Zvezda (ex Dragon) and Academy but this is final production of end of war machines only... Yup - and ICM - too with interior (and ICM is in Revell re-box - both variants - with interior or without interior parts).Academy is reboxed by Eduard and Airfix.

And beware - most kits have plastic tracks - but trumpeter make for it an tracks assembly jig... Vinyl tracks have only Tamiya - but King Tiger have massive heavy tracks and on vinyl don' t look good, because is plastic tracks better choice.

All kits are 1/35. 1/72 and 1/48&1/57(Italeri)are for Me small.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 9:46 AM, dandove said:

I am planning to return to modelling after a gap of over 40 years! I am thinking in terms of a King Tiger. Does anybody have any suggestions? I prefer larger to smaller but will consider any size. My main interest is in the Eastern front so I would prefer a kit with markings et cetera for this theatre. Many thanks.

Wouldn't it be easier to start with a smaller scale first, just to help you refresh your modelling skills, since you did mention you had a gap of 40 years. I know people often use the it's like riding a bicycle phase, but even if you have not ridden a bicycle for years, then get back to riding a bicycle, sometimes some of us would struggle to ride for a short while, as it would take your mind and your muscle some time to bring the memories back.

You could start with a cheaper small scale model kit, so what if you made a mess of it, at latest you're refreshing your skills. After you complete the small one, just discard it, and by the time you buy a large scale, you feel like you had your refresher training, so you're ready to be careful with the larger scale.

Many thanks for the interesting and helpful replies. It looks like a great community here.

I have been looking into the different offerings. I take the point about not biting off more than I can chew given my lack of recent experience. Of the models, the Takom/Das Werk seems to be the best but I think it might take too much out of me. I’m thinking in terms of opting for the Meng largely on the basis of the reviews I have read. It seems to be less complex and challenging than the Takom but still authentic and very good value for money.

I’m wondering how worthwhile people think interiors are?

There is certainly a lot more choice now compared with the 1970s! Then, as far as I can remember, it was a case of either Airfix or Tamiya. Being young and lacking money I tended to go for the former!

I need to stock up on equipment now. Can anybody suggest any sources of info and vendors for that?

• Like 1

Interiors are fun to build and paint but most of the time you won't see much unless you are doing a workshop or battle damage diorama.

As to vendors we are rather blessed in England with some great online retailers. Hannants, Historex, Scalemodelshop, eModels, SnM Stuff etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1

I'll chime in here since I just finished a King Tiger meself.

The one I built was the Takom 1/35 King Tiger with Porsche Turret with full interior. It was a really fun kit, but know that the kits with interiors are very involved... doable, but involved. There is a lot of test fitting, more test fitting and yet more test fitting. Some of the parts have such close tolerances, a layer of primer and/or paint can make a difference in the way it fits and goes together.

My recommendation would be a Tamiya, or Takom kit without interior. Of the two, the Tamiya would probably be the easiest. Pretty much guarenteed good fit and good instructions.

As for scale, 1/35 would be my choice for my first build in awhile. The 1/48 kits are smaller, but that doesn't necessarily mean easier. Having built 1/48 kits, the parts are much smaller and I find them a little harder to deal with than I used to!

On 21/04/2020 at 18:23, Stef N. said:

Interiors are fun to build and paint but most of the time you won't see much unless you are doing a workshop or battle damage diorama.

As to vendors we are rather blessed in England with some great online retailers. Hannants, Historex, Scalemodelshop, eModels, SnM Stuff etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the info Stef.

9 hours ago, CharleyGnarlyP290 said:

I'll chime in here since I just finished a King Tiger meself.

The one I built was the Takom 1/35 King Tiger with Porsche Turret with full interior. It was a really fun kit, but know that the kits with interiors are very involved... doable, but involved. There is a lot of test fitting, more test fitting and yet more test fitting. Some of the parts have such close tolerances, a layer of primer and/or paint can make a difference in the way it fits and goes together.

My recommendation would be a Tamiya, or Takom kit without interior. Of the two, the Tamiya would probably be the easiest. Pretty much guarenteed good fit and good instructions.

As for scale, 1/35 would be my choice for my first build in awhile. The 1/48 kits are smaller, but that doesn't necessarily mean easier. Having built 1/48 kits, the parts are much smaller and I find them a little harder to deal with than I used to!

Interesting to hear about the Takom. What you say confirms my view that it would probably be too challenging for me even without the interior. As you say, Tamiya are not problematic to build but some people have doubts about their authenticity.

• Like 1