1/72 Airfix Lancaster as W4308 UV-C (for Charlie) lost 23 January 1943

A most impressive display piece of the iconic Lancaster with an excellent story line behind it.  This kit belongs in a museum.  Your attention to detail has paid handsome rewards.  You richly deserve all of the accolades for this  beautiful work of art!!!!!

:worthy:

Mike

• Like 1

The personal account that you provide gives, as always with such stories, a real contextual richness to the actual build.

As for the build; remarkable work.

Michael

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

A truly magnificent model!  Can I just ask what ratio you used with the Hataka thinners and Mig ammo paints? I was interested to read Hatakas thinners do better than their own.

Thank you! I don't really have a fixed ratio. For most paint work I thin the Mig Ammo paints just a little, a few drops, because they can be sprayed straight from the bottle and as such don't need much thinning, but for fine work I'll add maybe up to 40% thinner into the mix. There's a discussion in the WW2 forum right now about the Ammo paints' accuracy, and especially the dark green is quite awful (it's even a very unpleasant colour), but in terms of use I found that within the category of water-based acrylics Mig Ammo is "best of the worst" (though I haven't tried AK's third generation acrylics).

2 hours ago, elger said:

Thank you! I don't really have a fixed ratio. For most paint work I thin the Mig Ammo paints just a little, a few drops, because they can be sprayed straight from the bottle and as such don't need much thinning, but for fine work I'll add maybe up to 40% thinner into the mix. There's a discussion in the WW2 forum right now about the Ammo paints' accuracy, and especially the dark green is quite awful (it's even a very unpleasant colour), but in terms of use I found that within the category of water-based acrylics Mig Ammo is "best of the worst" (though I haven't tried AK's third generation acrylics).

Can't comment on their aviation colours, I find Gunze/ Mr Colour are best and their RAF Dark Green/ Earth are pretty accurate. I intend to use Migammo for an AFV but a bit sceptical about spray from bottle. One of theirvpaint guides actually tells the user to thin the paint??

• Like 1

Thank you for the detailed history of the aeroplane it opens a door to the reality of what the model represents.  As for the model itself- brilliant- I particularly like the interior work and the other detailing.  A work to be admired.

Colin

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I'm a bit late to this but, let me say. The best 1/72 Lancaster I have ever seen.

I think it asks some questions of Airfix though. In 1/72 Airfix these days do a good job of outlines and shapes, they do though seem to be running down the old Matchbox rabbit hole of smooth surface and very noticeable recessed panel lines which in scale I could put my fist in!. I know everyone hated the raised rivets of old but, these days you would think that very subtle ones could be produced which would achieve the effect seen here.

Just my two cents.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning in every way ... the build,  detailing and painting 👌👏

It's an intersting read about the aircraft too. 

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

A phenomenal build and back story. Without doubt the best Lanc I've seen built in 1/72. The extra detailing is sublime!

Mark

• Thanks 1

Magnificent is a word used already in this thread, and for me too it fits the backstory, the paint choices, the resulting model and the time taken to build the model and give us the heads up.

You've got me thinking more about accuracy of paint compared to the original colour and 'scale colour' which is something very different.

To me your post demonstrates rather well how 'scale colour' considerations can be far more relevant than I realised to reaching the most satisfactory end result.

• Thanks 1

Just in awe of your build and finish of this Lancaster.  The fine detail in doing all the steps to weather this kit are so effective.  It is hard to imagine you did this in 1/72 scale.  The longer I look at the pictures, the more I see the small details of a certain scratch here and a bit of weathering there that plays together so realistically.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1