1/72 Airfix Phantom FGR.2 1435 flight, RAF Mount Pleasant 1991

G’day all.

I’ve just completed the Airfix Phantom FGR.2 this afternoon (Easter Monday). An annoying start followed by a pleasant build for the most part, I’m happy to say that this was an enjoyable project. The kit is built as XV466 ‘D’ Desperation while assigned to 1435 flight at RAF Mount Pleasant in 1991.

The most annoying issues with the kit are the fit of the lower wing to the underside of the intake trunks and the fir of the forward canopy section to the nose fuselage. Some judicious plastic removal and fettling had the parts slip into place. Gaps were addressed with the tried and tested recipe of CA glue and talc.

The Skyflash (Sparrows) and Sidewinders are courtesy of Eduard but the rest of it is what you get in the packet. The kit ordnance have fins that are a scale 6 inches wide so this was a must. The yellow seeker head covers on the Sidewinders add some colour to an otherwise muted colour scheme.

I’m frustrated that Airfix still persist with panel lines that really are suited on a 32nd or 24th scale kit. Here in Australia you pay anywhere between $50 - $65 for this kit (25-33 pounds). Comparing kits of similar size and cost you get panel lines that are much more refined. Airfix, if you’re listening, please get your act together in this area. There has been much discussion about it. On the plus side, the kit decals were fantastic and reacted well to the Microset/sol combo.

Painting is always the fun part for me. On the kit I used Mr Color lacquers for the camo greys and Alclad for the metal exhaust areas. Looking at photos of period jets and particularly XV466, the greys seemed to lighten over time, almost to the point of almost no contrast between the two topside greys. A variety of weathering products have been used for panel lines and such. You can make out the two tones of greys in the overhead shots.

Anyway, on with the photos.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers, Mick.

_MG_9408.jpg

_MG_9414.jpg

_MG_9416.jpg

_MG_9419.jpg

_MG_9420.jpg

_MG_9421.jpg

_MG_9432.jpg

_MG_9422.jpg

_MG_9424.jpg

_MG_9425.jpg

_MG_9426.jpg

_MG_9428.jpg

_MG_9429.jpg

• Like 60
  • Thanks 1

Phantastic Phantom, well done, an Authentic Falkland Defender

IMHO only need a little weathering underside, beacuse on top is very good.

congrats again

cheers

That's perfection in my eyes. Well done. I don't suppose you could share the Gunze colours you used could you? They're as a match as I've ever seen.

Excellent job.

I tend to agree with your comments about the kit. I thought it was ridiculously (but, admittedly cleverly) over engineered.

Fit of the parts was pretty poor, especially in the areas you describe. Very frustrating.

That said, in overall terms of detail and kit options, I think it's streets ahead of the old, albeit quite decent Fujimi kit. I can live with the panel lines!? 🤣

I actually binned about 70% of the decals though! I really hate all that stencilling!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

On 4/13/2020 at 6:28 PM, Bangor Lad said:

Fantastic!

Thanks Bangor.

On 4/13/2020 at 6:31 PM, petetasker said:

Beautiful build looks very authentic. 1435 flt with a white tail - what’s not to like. Very well done

Thanks Pete.

On 4/13/2020 at 6:37 PM, Viking said:

Phabulous and Phantastic! You have captured the overall finish to perfection, great job.

Cheers

John

Thanks John.

On 4/13/2020 at 6:41 PM, Robert said:

That is a lovely worn finish you have achieved.

Regards

Robert

Thanks Robert.

On 4/13/2020 at 6:45 PM, ivan-o said:

Echo all of above👍Lovely job

Thanks Ivan.

On 4/13/2020 at 7:50 PM, trickydicky210 said:

Ooh, phantastic!!!

Thanks Rich.

22 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That's really very nice indeed. The grey camo looks spot on, not always an easy scheme to do with the minimal contrast between the two greys. Great job 👍

Thanks Binbrook. Photos certainly indicate that the two topside greys were similar after exposure to the elements.

21 hours ago, scottyphbeta said:

Excellent job, that's a great finish.

Thanks.

17 hours ago, helium said:

Very well done! 👍

And also good photos and interesting to read! Thanks.

Thanks Helium. A good picture can certainly convey half the message.

20 hours ago, RMCS said:

Outstanding 

Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Mick.................this Phantom is OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!! 

:gobsmacked:

Take a well deserved bow!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

Virtual bow happening Mike! Cheers.

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That's a beauty! Looks very smart with the white fin, and your finish looks perfect in terms of colour and weathering.

Thanks Riot. The white fin gives it something to look at!

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Excellent job.

I tend to agree with your comments about the kit. I thought it was ridiculously (but, admittedly cleverly) over engineered.

Fit of the parts was pretty poor, especially in the areas you describe. Very frustrating.

That said, in overall terms of detail and kit options, I think it's streets ahead of the old, albeit quite decent Fujimi kit. I can live with the panel lines!? 🤣

I actually binned about 70% of the decals though! I really hate all that stencilling!

Allan

Thanks Allan. Yes, the stencilling took almost as long as the build. I think 99% of then are there.

4 hours ago, Filler said:

That's perfection in my eyes. Well done. I don't suppose you could share the Gunze colours you used could you? They're as a match as I've ever seen.

Thanks Filler. The colours I used were all Mr Color...

Mr Color H332 for BS361C 627 - Light Aircraft grey, fuselage and outer wings

Mr Color H335 for BS361C 637 - Medium Sea Grey for the inner wings. This was lightly dusted with a very thin version of  the above LAG.

Mr Color H334 for BS361C 626 - Barley Grey for the underside.

All thinned with Mr Color Levelling thinner

11 hours ago, Gremlin said:

Phantastic Phantom, well done, an Authentic Falkland Defender

IMHO only need a little weathering underside, beacuse on top is very good.

congrats again

cheers

Thanks Gremlin. It probably does need a bit more on the underside, might hit it with a few oils on the weekend.

15 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Very nice work, love it.

Thanks Phixer. I like your avatar.

16 hours ago, Booty003 said:

That is a stunner - looks great with the white tail, adds a nice bit of colour.

Thanks Booty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello,

first of all, very nice result. Despite I see some little imperfections I really like it 👍

Well, it is good to read your comments about the kit, because today I expect a postal package containing Airfix Phantom. You are right with your assessment of panel lines. On the other hand, actually, I have a Fujimy Phantom on my workbench and it needs to be rescribed a bit. The panel lines there are too fine. I would appreciate the panel lines to be something between Airfix and Fujimy 🙃

So it was a little dilemma which kit to select. In fact, the most reason for Airfix was the decal sheet with Falklands defender and of course bargain price :-). As I would like to have it in my Falklands collection I don't worry about other things so much. I can do more precise kits e.g.Eduard, Tamiya at other time.

Best Regards