Lufthansa New Livery Airbus A380-800, Revell 1:144

I managed to take off the tape from the engines, without also detaching the engines at the same time.

Here is, as the title suggests, the Revell Airbus A380 in the new livery of Lufthansa, which, personally, I like a lot.

For those who haven't seen, the WIP is here:

IMG_0237

IMG_0238

IMG_0240

IMG_0241

IMG_0239

IMG_0242

IMG_0243

IMG_0245

IMG_0244

IMG_0246

I built the kit right out of the box, with no additions or modifications, other than some modifications to the body gear doors to close them (the instructions tell you to install the doors in the open position, which is incorrect).  I had to cut out small sections to fit the oleo through.

I also cut the bogies and repositioned them in the in-flight position, because I was going to be hanging the A380 from the ceiling.  I'm not brave enough to cut the wings to deploy the flaps though!

One final touch was to add two beacon lights at the top of the fuselage - there are clear parts for the wingtip navigation lights, but none for the tail cone or beacons on the fuselage.  There is moulded beacon on the belly, but nothing on the top.

For these, I dabbed very small rounded blobs of red paint with a cocktail stick, and when they were dry, dabbed very small blobs of Revell Contacta Clear on top of them to form the dome.

Thanks for looking and welcome any critique.

• Like 26

That is a superb build there, Neil, congratulations!

The Revell A380 is a great kit in my opinion and captures the shape of the real thing really well. I've built the British Airways version,  as you may recall, and have 2 more in the stash - the Emirates version and the old Lufthansa scheme. I do like that new "clean" scheme - is it now white all over other than the tail? Having seen how yours has turned out I can see myself investing in some new-style Lufthansa decals.

The undercarriage on the kit is necessarily quite delicate at this scale and I wouldn't risk displaying mine standing on it's own feet.  I see you have also invested in stand, can I ask where you sourced yours from?

Once again....brilliant job!

Edited by t15dja

5 minutes ago, t15dja said:

The Revell A380 is a great kit in my opinion and captures the shape of the real thing really well. I've built the British Airways version,  as you know, and have 2 more in the stash - the Emirates version and the old Lufthansa scheme. I do like that new "clean" scheme - is it now white all over other than the tail? Having seen how yours has turned out I can see myself investing in some new-style Lufthansa decals.

The undercarriage on the kit is necessarily quite delicate at this scale and I wouldn't risk displaying mine standing on it's own feet.  I see you have also invested in stand, can I ask where you sourced yours from?

Thanks, I like the clean scheme too - when I sat it next to the old Lufthansa livery, it did make it look very dated!

The new livery is LH White all over, as this graphic shows:

lufthansa_livery_explained.jpg

The graphic is from this article, which I found to be interesting:

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_identity_and_livery_for_lufthansa_done_in_house.php

My model stands are from Trumpeter - they have adjustable widths and orientations, depending on which way around you put the clear panels.  I saw an offer on ebay years ago, and bought 20 of them.

Looking online just now, they're between £6 and £8 each.

`

• Like 2

Very nice build, it certainly is an impressive looking aeroplane and I lie the way you have modified the undercarriage for 'in flight'.

I'm not that keen on the modern simple liveries that seem to abound these days, I much prefer something with a cheatline, but with a A380 where could you put one with two rows of windows!

Cheer

John

Splendid model Neil. Thanks for sharing 

I wasn't taken with the new Lufthansa livery until I saw it up close on an A321 NEO and realised that "in the flesh" it is cool, crisp and really rather smart. It certainly looks impressive on the A380. 

:goodjob:

Dave G

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

That is seriously impressive!

Well done keeping the engines on, don't know if it helps but I always use superglue for my engines as it saves waiting for the glue to set.

When they introduced the new Lufthansa livery, like many others, I really didn't like it but over time it has grown on me and seeing your model just confirms that, as Dave says cool, crisp and really rather smart.

Great work on the repositioning of the undercarriage it looks good and adds more interest. I might have to start hanging my models from the ceiling too as I'm rapidly running out of room, I wouldn't chance any of my widebody AA resin kits though!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

Really nice build, Neil!
I was considering the very same A380 with the new Lufthansa livery, but in the end decided it to be too big for my tiny desk, so probably I'll go for an A320 Neo (I've already have a browser tab with the order for it and a ral 5022 paint)
Love the new livery!

4 hours ago, t15dja said:

The Revell A380 is a great kit in my opinion and captures the shape of the real thing really well. I've built the British Airways version,  as you may recall, and have 2 more in the stash - the Emirates version and the old Lufthansa scheme. I do like that new "clean" scheme - is it now white all over other than the tail? Having seen how yours has turned out I can see myself investing in some new-style Lufthansa decals.

I've just noticed, the old Lufthansa scheme has the incorrect markings for the windows:

IMG_0154

The A380 has some "blanked out" windows (I don't know what they're for), but the older kit has decals for every window.

What are the BA and Emirates kits like?

Or did you not use decals for the windows?

Congratulation on your A380 Neil, she’s looking fantastic !!

For info, blanked windows are typically found were you would have a lavatory, galley, stowage compartment or the like behind the window. A380 lavatories placed outboard in the cabin will typically have a window, but as they take up the space of more than one passenger row, you could see a blanked window in this position. The location of the blanked windows will differ from operator to operator and could even vary for different cabin configurations within an operator. Emirates is an example if this. 

Now hoping that your next A380 project will be an EK A380 😉

Cheers

Johnny 

• Like 1

Turned out great, congrats!

The landing gear really looks fantastic!

Regarding the flaps, cutting sline would not be sufficient, no?

Is there a resin set out there to help?

Not being an A380 fan, this changes my mind. Nice build, Neil. And I have to finally agree, being in the camp that didn't like the livery color changes...the new one does indeed look "crisp" and "smart." You've done well, here. Love the gear mods for inflight, too. nice work indeed! :goodjob:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

Congratulation on your A380 Neil, she’s looking fantastic !!

For info, blanked windows are typically found were you would have a lavatory, galley, stowage compartment or the like behind the window. A380 lavatories placed outboard in the cabin will typically have a window, but as they take up the space of more than one passenger row, you could see a blanked window in this position. The location of the blanked windows will differ from operator to operator and could even vary for different cabin configurations within an operator. Emirates is an example if this. 

Now hoping that your next A380 project will be an EK A380 😉

Cheers

Johnny 

Thanks for the info.

My next will be British Airways, actually.  I already have it upstairs in the stash.

I love the Emirates livery, from the gold calligraphy to the long, flowing flag on the tail.

But I have never fancied painting that red belly, especially with the complex landing gear in the way!

I always wondered if aftermarket decals would be gold lettering, or tan.  I can't imagine many aftermarket producers can print gold.

I'm sure the Revell kit has gold lettering, but they are not easy to find these days.  The new Emirates kit looks like it only has markings for the special wildlife livery:

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/planes/civil-aircraft/airbus-a380-800-emirates-wild-life.html

From the images, it looks like they have fixed the body gear doors, so they are closed when the gear is extended.

If you take a look at Julien’s in box review of the Revell EK wildlife livery, it does indeed look like the gold lettering and calligraphy for doing the ‘normal’ EK livery is included in this kit as well. The large white “Emirates” for the belly is also included, but you’re right, painting the red belly background wouldn’t be easy. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

If you take a look at Julien’s in box review of the Revell EK wildlife livery, it does indeed look like the gold lettering and calligraphy for doing the ‘normal’ EK livery is included in this kit as well. The large white “Emirates” for the belly is also included, but you’re right, painting the red belly background wouldn’t be easy. 

Yes I did mention in the review that the standard markings are in the box. 

Julien

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neilg said:

Thanks for the info.

My next will be British Airways, actually.  I already have it upstairs in the stash.

I love the Emirates livery, from the gold calligraphy to the long, flowing flag on the tail.

But I have never fancied painting that red belly, especially with the complex landing gear in the way!

I always wondered if aftermarket decals would be gold lettering, or tan.  I can't imagine many aftermarket producers can print gold.

I'm sure the Revell kit has gold lettering, but they are not easy to find these days.  The new Emirates kit looks like it only has markings for the special wildlife livery:

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/planes/civil-aircraft/airbus-a380-800-emirates-wild-life.html

From the images, it looks like they have fixed the body gear doors, so they are closed when the gear is extended.

Well it looks like Revell has not addressed the body gear doors in the new Emirates kit.

The image on their website shows they made the same modification as me:

03882_d02_airbus_a380_800_emirates_wild_

However, instructions show the doors are installed in the open position (step 53 on page 17):

https://downloads.revell.de/Manuals-Modelkits/03882_%23BAU_AIRBUS_A380_EMIRATES_WILDLIFE.PDF

4 hours ago, neilg said:

What are the BA and Emirates kits like?

Or did you not use decals for the windows?

So, I've got two in the stash, one having been started a while ago and the other as yet untouched thus:

20200413_181350

One has the original "first flight" livery and the other has the old Lufthansa scheme. 

I couldn't find the Revell kit of the Emirates version anywhere so I've bought a set of after-market decals for one of the kits. This only includes the main insignia as you can see in the photos below but at least the belly decal includes the red background, which saves the need to mask and paint the red colour,  always assuming that such a large decal will behave itself! I will also probably have to do it wheels up rather than cut the decal to fit over the gear doors. I'll then need to rob as many of the other stencil, door & window decals from the old Lufthansa set, obviously checking that they are relevant to the Emirates version. 

The gold lettering on this decal set also looks very nice.

20200413_181411

20200413_181427

20200413_181436

Regarding the other kit, I'm not sure which scheme I'm going to do it in just yet, but I am expecting to have to source a complete set of decals for it, since I wouldn't have thought many of the "first flight" set would be suitable to use for a current carrier. If I could get a complete set of the new Lufthansa scheme that you've done I'd love to do that....not sure where to get that from though!

Whichever versions I do I'll be using decals for the windows, but freely admit I may not get the blanked out windows correct. 

As far as Revell's BA decals go, here's a link to the "ready for inspection" of my BA A380, from which you'll see how Revell deals with the windows in that scheme. Some are blanked but that maybe just to reflect some being closed by the tiny passengers!

https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235046820-revell-1144-airbus-a380-british-airways/&data=02|01||3a0e745357f8419ab7ba08d7dfd93d70|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|637223996433992398&sdata=/FmSm0gyfAKUrGPt4doPnauzmVw4vVfW0/CmqUtbDfU=&reserved=0

• Like 2

DRAW decals has a sheet for the A380 in the new colours.

I bought their decal sheet for the 747-8i, before Revell released their new kit:

IMG_0253

I haven't yet got around to building it, but it's in the queue!