1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings F4D & E in March 2024

Homebee

25 minutes ago, Gene K said:

The "real" brakes normally don't droop much, so the above is a little overkill

Agreed, the following is  the only way to see them on a model

27853058132_308d86f21d_b.jpg

Ciao

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, giemme said:

Agreed, the following is  the only way to see them on a model.

Yes -- a beautiful presentation you have there! One of the best 1/72 Phantom builds - ever.

Makes the effort totally worthwhile, I think ... like all the work we do on cockpit interiors that can't be seen .:penguin:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Haha 1

Thanks so much Gene. Great use of the Silhouette and of course Monogram's airbrake goodness. I suspect that I'll be devoting one pair to my FineMolds build in coming weeks (mindful of your advice about the extent of the droop).

Giorgio, that is indeed a phabulous Phantom.

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the initial releases out of the way, FineMolds continues to update their followers on the progress of the next releases of their Phantom Phamily. Interesting the radome they have included on this one tree in the background as I am personally trying to calculate how each parts tree can tie to other versions. Close up of the ALQ-131 and it's intricate details which will show nicely with careful paintwork.

8HXKTC1.jpg?1

NZdlEde.jpg?1

• Like 4

3 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Interesting the radome they have included on this one tree in the background

While the later RF-4EJ configuration has most of the features of the F-4EJkai (primarily the radar warning receivers and the spine aerial), and the RF-4EJ kit will use the F-4EJkai tooling, the RF-4EJ does not feature the ribs on the radome that the fighter does.  So it looks like that sprue will have the un-ribbed radome, and the RF-4EJ specific instrument panels. But I can't tell from that angle whather it includes the side of the tail fin, and replaces sprue K from the F-4EJkai tooling, or will be additional to it (I suspect the latter).

spacer.png

Jonathan.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stilwell said:

But I can't tell from that angle whather it includes the side of the tail fin, and replaces sprue K from the F-4EJkai tooling, or will be additional to it (I suspect the latter).

If these are the only extra sprues then there will be extra parts for our spares bin. I seem to like all this sleuthing in anticipation of future releases.

1 hour ago, baldwin8 said:

If these are the only extra sprues then there will be extra parts for our spares bin.

Most other maufacturer's would have said: "You see those ribs on the F-4EJkai nose cone? Just remove them with a blade or abrasive." Apparently not Fine Molds. 

At some point I will have to look into whether that LOROP pod was used by other air forces.

> I seem to like all this sleuthing in anticipation of future releases.

The question in my mind at the moment is: Assuming Fine Molds will do an F-4J, based on the catapult strop hooks and easily replaced spine (with USAF refuelling port), how will they deal with the USN re-fueling probe on the starboard side piece of the new front fuselage? Will they tool separate pieces for the F-4J, and the F-4C/D (without the probe)? Or some other solution? I don't see them telling the modeller to fill the panel line like Hasegawa do, if they go to the cost of tooling a rib-less nose cone in the RF-4EJ.

Jonathan.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Stilwell said:

Most other maufacturer's would have said: "You see those ribs on the F-4EJkai nose cone? Just remove them with a blade or abrasive." Apparently not Fine Molds. 

:thumbsup:         And to all our benefit. Thank you FineMolds.

43 minutes ago, Stilwell said:

The question in my mind at the moment is: Assuming Fine Molds will do an F-4J, based on the catapult strop hooks and easily replaced spine (with USAF refuelling port), how will they deal with the USN re-fueling probe on the starboard side piece of the new front fuselage? Will they tool separate pieces for the F-4J, and the F-4C/D (without the probe)?

Their direction currently looks like it is going that way. Sprue A and C being the only ones that could take them through all the F-4 versions (sorry K/M Phans, a long shot but who knows). What is the cost of making another sprue and will sales pay for that plus decals and packaging? We have not seen an un-slotted stab either, so if they produce an F-4C/D will it be early or late to take into account the stab triangle patches. Most of these F-4 details I'm pulling off the top of my head.

The adventure is not over.

Craig

16 hours ago, Stilwell said:

At some point I will have to look into whether that LOROP pod was used by other air forces.

Israel F-4Es and Turkey RF-4ETM - one of these was shot down by a Syrian SAM in 2012 ( but was not equipped with a LOROP on that mission.

More here ( bird N° 4 - a LES equipped and Sidewinder armed RF-4ETM) :

spacer.png

spacer.png

image-71.png

spacer.png

Edited by Diego
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Diego said:

Israel F-4Es and Turkey RF-4ETM

I've been reading through the Wingman "Kurnass" volume 2 book, which covers the Isreali Recce Phantoms. It does mention the JASDF LOROP pods, and implies that the IDFAF pods were/are (at least some of them are now carried by F-15s) not the same - the JASDF version being more compact than the version used by the IDFAF. I don't think I have any information on what the TuAF use.

Jonathan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stilwell said:

I've been reading through the Wingman "Kurnass" volume 2 book, which covers the Isreali Recce Phantoms. It does mention the JASDF LOROP pods, and implies that the IDFAF pods were/are (at least some of them are now carried by F-15s) not the same - the JASDF version being more compact than the version used by the IDFAF. I don't think I have any information on what the TuAF use.

Jonathan.

Luckily for us modellers, both JASDF and TUAF use the same Israeli made IAI/ELOP LOROP pod :)

I guess that, indeed , these were designed for the export market...

As I saw an Israeli F-4E with a similar pod, so I supposed it was the same thing, but, after reading your comments, I remember it was more bulky and a bit more squared that the JASDF/TUAF version. (IIRC)

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Diego said:

As I saw an Israeli F-4E with a similar pod, so I supposed it was the same thing, but, after reading your comments, I remember it was more bulky and a bit more squared that the JASDF/TUAF version. (IIRC)

Indeed:

spacer.png

This one being the OPHIR pod. Not the same as the earlier HIAC pod:

1218480-17841-93-pristine.jpg  spacer.png

And with much more of a converted fuel drop tank look.

Interesting that the TuAF opted to fit their pods to RF-4s; the JASDF and IDF tended to sling theirs under fighter airframes, even though they had RF-4s, to expand their reconnaissance capacity.  I guess the Turks decided they already had enough recce assets (if not a good enough recce capability) with the RF-4s they already flew.

Jonathan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 21:02, baldwin8 said:

Sprue A and C being the only ones that could take them through all the F-4 versions

I expect Fine Molds would opt for a new Sprue C as well for RF-4s, for the flare compartment doors. Even if just for the extra panel lines. But then, RF-4s would probably require bespoke wing sprues as well, to get rid of the Sparrow troughs on the wing under surface part.

I am tempted to think that the inclusion of the wheels and Main Gear Bay doors on Spue A is evidence Fine Molds are considering doing an alternative to Sprue B with the slatted wing. But it may also be evidence that they are less enthusiastic about an alternative to Sprue B with a thin wing.

Hasegawa chose to keep the Main Gear Doors in the same sprue as the wings they attached to. Which is fine if the one thick wing tool is used for both hard and slatted wing options. But if separate molds were to be used for the hard and the slatted wing, it would make sense to put the other features specific to a thick wing aircraft onto another sprue.

Jonathan.

11 hours ago, Stilwell said:

Indeed:

spacer.png

This one being the OPHIR pod. Not the same as the earlier HIAC pod:

And with much more of a converted fuel drop tank look.

Interesting that the TuAF opted to fit their pods to RF-4s; the JASDF and IDF tended to sling theirs under fighter airframes, even though they had RF-4s, to expand their reconnaissance capacity.  I guess the Turks decided they already had enough recce assets (if not a good enough recce capability) with the RF-4s they already flew.

Jonathan.

It does strongly resemble a 600 gallons fuel tank, normally used by the IDF F-16s.

The RF-4EJ tooling closes in on production with updates of the instrument panel. So nice FineMolds has paid attention to all these details. This helps even the casual modeller get things right.

egvJgpJ.jpg?1

E7igUSU.jpg?1

This information also provided along with photos shows how communication is so important in the entire process.

This was the translation Google provides   "Please note that the protrusion on the left side of the ejection seat of the 1/72 Phantom of Fine Molds is not a burr!"   "The person in charge of the plastic model was about to cut it off ..."

wJ0iyrP.jpg?1

v6YjPJj.jpg?1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Here are the decals for their next releases.

Of the two blue-aircraft decals, the FM website translation states:

↑ The upper decal is offset printing that can be reproduced precisely
↓ The lower decal is silk printing with beautiful metallic color reproduction

I have no idea of the application implications.

Gene K

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/17/2020 at 8:40 PM, Gene K said:

Of the two blue-aircraft decals, the FM website translation states:

↑ The upper decal is offset printing that can be reproduced precisely
↓ The lower decal is silk printing with beautiful metallic color reproduction

I have no idea of the application implications.

Gene K

These  decals on the blue scheme do not represent what you can see on the real aircraft.

Black should be Black, whatever the printing process you choose. On the blue scheme the stars are Black...not grey or silver grey, just black ! 

What is more important is that all Japanese F-4EJ stencils are black or yellow.  This is correct on the decal sheet for aircraft finished in the original Japanese three tones of grey camo scheme.

So, each line of these stencils should appear on the original grey paint of the aircraft.

For the "special schemes" these stencils were masked (line by line) before the colours of the special scheme was painted on. So that even on a black or dark blue colour each line of text of the stencil remain on a grey background.  With the distance these stencils appear white on a dark background. In reality they are just black on a much lighter background....

This is especially noticeable on the blue scheme wings leading edge. If you are using the decals per se, you won't see anything....

I have been so weak to buy these two same "Special Schemes" versions of  these F-4EJ by Hasegawa.

The Hasegawa decals are much more faithfull except for these damned stencils. (and they were not printed by Cartograf...) 

The same applies to Hasegawa's F-4EJ from ADTW and her  special 60th anniversary scheme. The bird was all black with Gold and White  decoration patterns. On the decal sheet all the stencils are black with no grey background  so that once applied on your all black painted bird, you won't see them anymore. How clever, isn't it ? 

I had hoped that Fine Molds would have had these mihaps corrected. But again, as Hasegawa, they give you a generic sheet of black stencils that apply for three tones grey camouflaged aircrafts, and they don't care for the rest.  For me, in these cases, these two makers are just blind or crooks.  I am opting for both ...

If you think I am wrong , look at pictures of these aircrafts....

For the fact that Fine Molds take us for idiot I won't buy these two "Special Schemes" kits.

P.S. My comment is based on the pictures of the decals appearing above. If anyone has got the real sheets, please don't be afraid to tell me if I am wrong...I would be so happy !

My last hope is now for the Zoukei Moura 1/48 ... but I fear for the worst.   Only $ matter ! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, madcop said:

If you think I am wrong , look at pictures of these aircrafts....

Looking at the pictures of 37-8315 (the "yellow" special) I took at the Hyakuri base show on 1st December 2019 - I can see no evidence of masked-off grey surrounds for the stencils on the topsides of the wings. I only see black text on a yellow background. I couldn't comment about black text on a black background, but I see no grey.

The area of special paint around the cockpit and on the spine does have masked-off grey areas for the stencils, but looking at the relevant Fine Molds decals on the upper sheet in the earlier post, these rectangular grey areas appear to be represented for at least some of the stencils.

I can't comment first hand on the "blue" special, as that was painted up after I returned from that trip, and despite my best efforts I have been unable to get out there since to photograph it.

But recognising that some decal sets do not replicate the masking of the stencils and underlying colour present on some special schemes:

spacer.png

One (admittedly expensive) option is to invest in aftermarket sheets which do, such as DXM Decals' F-4EJkai "Sea Camouflage" sheet, and use the stencils from that.

Jonathan. 

• Like 1

On 19/11/2020 at 23:28, madcop said:

On the blue scheme the stars are Black...not grey or silver grey, just black ! 

After seeing some photos like the one below, I think I understand the statement about the "metallic color" on the FM blue scheme decals - the shades appear to look different according to the viewing angle/lighting  ... for example, here the stars appear gray:

Great that FM may have somehow have had metallic decals printed!!

Here's another great shot that will help me with the Blue scheme kit which I have on order:

o4DGDfz.jpg

Bad assumptions dispelled: first, the edges of the ailerons are not fully red as I assumed they would be; and second, the interior of the speed brake wells are white, not the under-wing color as I assumed. Also "interesting" are the metallic panel differences on the rear exhaust area (whatever that area is properly called).

As for the black stenciling, here's a close up showing just a bit of the black stenciling on the gray under the ladder - appears to be the same on the rest of the aircraft:

kUoKqYb.png

Gene K

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

kUoKqYb.png

I love that Stainless Steel or Chrome ladder.

Gene, didn't all the F-4's have a RAT? Going from memory, but I don't see an evidence of it on the F-4EJs.

Craig

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - McDD (R)F-4E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - F-4EJ released - next RF-4EJ
On 11/19/2020 at 12:28 PM, madcop said:

Black should be Black, whatever the printing process you choose. On the blue scheme the stars are Black...not grey or silver grey, just black ! 

If you think I am wrong , look at pictures of these aircrafts...

In the pictures I've seen, to my eyes those stars within the blue band are silver, as they vary dramatically tonally from bright to dark due to the curvature of the surface.  They also contrast with the mid grey used on the 'spook' on the fin.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Japan-Air-Self-Defense-Force-JASDF/McDonnell-Douglas-Mitsubishi-F-4EJ-Kai-Phantom-II/6179129/L?qsp=eJwtjUEKwkAMRe%2BStYKiVOmuXkAXXiAkoQ7UzpCkYCm9e9PB3ef/x/sLUB5dfv6ei0ALJqj0gQMUVPwatAuo9Mlc0VMeO/IJh%2BBOt%2BP9emkCtKz%2BmKNidOmIpLjwv38qi%2B6TGFVnHx/nCKKvmqEqOFkZcHcQKsO6bu2WMSg%3D

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Japan-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-Mitsubishi-F-4EJ-Kai-Phantom-II/6184563/L?qsp=eJwtjUEKwkAMRe%2BStYKiVOmuXkAXXiAkoQ7UzpCkYCm9e9PB3ef/x/sLUB5dfv6ei0ALJqj0gQMUVPwatAuo9Mlc0VMeO/IJh%2BBOt%2BP9emkCtKz%2BmKNidOmIpLjwv38qi%2B6TGFVnHx/nCKKvmqEqOFkZcHcQKsO6bu2WMSg%3D

Glorious schemes, helping me to part with my money they are!